It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian spy ship off the east coast of US, officials say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

There is nothing unusual about a Russian intelligence collection vessel off the coast of the US. In regards to missiles these are purely for self defence. The Vishnya-class is fitted with 30mm gatling guns and will carry short range air defence missiles based on the shoulder launched Strela.

Wikipedia Strela Missile Link

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

Who says they're trying to be incognito though? A sub works great for some missions, a surface ship better for others.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Because the media is trying to make it seem like Trump has been played by the Russians and therefore creating a dangerous security problem for the people of the United States. Before the Berlin Wall came down they were out there every day from New York to Florida. Ships, airplanes, trawlers, you name it. There are spies from Russia in every military city in the United States as well as DC and major cities with industry. They have never left since the early Nineties. The TV show The Americans is fiction but not by much. The concept is not fiction.

I am not criticizing Americans for not knowing this. They should not have to worry about it. But let's not be naive. Liberals usually are about these things. It is a convenience for them on subjects such as this but our Navy has dealt with this threat for decades effectively. It actually made going to sea interesting during the Cold War.
edit on 14-2-2017 by icewater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That is true. Perhaps the mission is just to get people talking and suspicious of the motive.
Kinda like what were doing here...
The old misdirection..."look over here!!! LOOK!LOOK!"

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I guess the Russians didn't need a spy ship here during the elections,

They had a whole team of hackers right here on US soil then, remember.

Obama kicked them all out, so now they have to spy from offshore with spy ships.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: rickymouse
I guess the Russians didn't need a spy ship here during the elections,

They had a whole team of hackers right here on US soil then, remember.

Obama kicked them all out, so now they have to spy from offshore with spy ships.

Yeah, one computer with a copy of one trojan which was probably gotten when visiting the power plants site. If the Russians were hacking from there, they would have taken all that away or destroyed it. They aren't that dumb. That was one of Obama's fails, there wasn't even anything recorded on their internet connections history there, yes, our government monitored every place anyone hooked up to there. They sure the hell would not have done it out of the embassy. That is stuff you see in movies. Everything they tweet about at the embassies is recorded, they can't hack someplace there without getting caught, Non encripted data is traceable.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Moscow has deployed a cruise missile in an apparent treaty violation, a senior military official told CNN Tuesday.

www.cnn.com...

Putin making power moves. Wonder how Trump will respond to these provocations.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

According to the MSM, this is actually a "thing".

Really?

According the stories, it's somehow related to Trump's troubles with Russia...

[snore]

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The cold war era never really ended; it just shifted a few gears as the old guard was retired. Every Med cruise we made in the late 60's early 70's had trawlers hanging around so we could take photos of one another. Gibraltar intercept was about a sure thing and they always played the 'rules of the road' game.
For those that are not aware, in any situation where two courses intersect, there is a 'burdened vessel' and a 'privileged vessel.' The 'privileged vessel' MUST maintain course and speed and the burdened vessel is required to maneuver to prevent collision. The Soviets would maneuver to become the burdened vessel and wait to maneuver at the last possible time just to play. We had more than one go down our side at 50 yards or less which made for easy photos on both sides.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: icewater
There are spies from Russia in every military city in the United States as well as DC and major cities with industry. They have never left since the early Nineties.

Oh, I agree except that I'd say the 50's.

We have ours there, too. Most of the embassy staff are some sort of operator in a nice suit, I know a couple of guys that got PNGd from there. They never quite caught them doing it but they knew they were up to no good.

Plus NSA inserts SCS into Russia pretty much at will, most of them even come back alive and with all the optional bits intact.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This spy ship exposing itself was signal related to the US intelligence community concluded the fact that Trump was a Russian puppet. They know that we know Trump's connection to Russia now.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingAlpha

It can't really hide. It will have been routinely monitored since deploying to Cuba and on its mission up the east coast of the US.

I can hear SSV-175 Viktor Leonov using its Morse capability now and again here in the UK if the conditions are right. I last heard it on 24th January. Call sign RMMA attempting to contact RIW (Naval HQ Moscow). Sometimes it uses Morse to set up secure HF communications links.

No doubt one of the exercises that the Viktor Leonov was monitoring last week.

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Locally based ships recently completed a live-fire missile exercise off the coast of North Carolina, the U.S. Navy says. Navy officials say guided missile cruisers USS Vella Gulf (CG 72) and USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55) as well as the guided-missile destroyers USS James E. Williams (DDG 95) and USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79) completed the exercise on Feb. 4. The exercise was designed to give the ships’ crew a chance to test their weapons systems on simulated enemy targets in a live scenario. Navy officials say this was intended to “enhance crew proficiency” of the system.

News link
edit on 15/2/2017 by tommyjo because: additional info added

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
that missile was a warning to trump -

don't forget our deal.

edit on 15-2-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
No bites?

The theme song for Pueblo (and for a bit, the NSA) was Lonely Bull (El Toro Solo) by Herb Alpert. Initially "Twinkle Star", there were some never-introduced lyrics that were discarded when Alpert decided it was more appropriate for the song of a bull facing death during a bull fight. It made it up to #6 in the US top 10. The NSA (and the USS Pueblo) adopted the song as being the image of the top dog in the pasture being alone facing implacable enemies.

I'm fairly sure a bit of the lead-in from the video (one of the first!) was used in Fail Safe. But it's hard to be sure.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not really news, it's common.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It fits the current media narrative, so it will be the lead story to brain wash the liberals even further.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
No bites?

The theme song for Pueblo (and for a bit, the NSA) was Lonely Bull (El Toro Solo) by Herb Alpert. Initially "Twinkle Star", there were some never-introduced lyrics that were discarded when Alpert decided it was more appropriate for the song of a bull facing death during a bull fight. It made it up to #6 in the US top 10. The NSA (and the USS Pueblo) adopted the song as being the image of the top dog in the pasture being alone facing implacable enemies.

I'm fairly sure a bit of the lead-in from the video (one of the first!) was used in Fail Safe. But it's hard to be sure.

Other ships use music also. The USS Coronado [LPD-11/AGF-11 aka "The Great White Beast of the Middle East"] played John Denver's "Calypso" during UNREPs in the Persian Gulf in the early 80's. Announcements over the 1MC tended to get ignored after a while, but "Calypso" was usually started as the shot line guns fired and all skylarkers knew to steer clear of the UNREP decks while the operation was ongoing.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Neither of the ships that I was attached to (Landing Ship Dock 29- USS Plymouth Rock and MSO 456 - USS Inflict) had any ship's song that was played.
I guess I didn't luck out.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Remember when Russia was flying it's bombers over antarctica and claiming territory there? I dont remember hysteria.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

What? Russia couldn't get a signal on their cell so they had to get closer?
Russia sailing around while Putin paces the deck holding his phone up in the air.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join