It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bigfoot expedition inspires ban on state-funded searches for mythical creatures

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

SANTA FE, NM (KRQE/WCMH) — A lawmaker in New Mexico has proposed a bill that would make it illegal for state-funded colleges to go hunting for mythical creatures.

It all started in October when it came to light that a University of New Mexico-Gallup professor led an expedition to find Bigfoot.

Dr. Christopher Dyer presides over students and faculty at UNM’s Gallup Campus. While he insisted that he searches for the mythical creature in his own time, an investigation by NBC4’s sister station KRQE found that Dr. Dyer had left New Mexico’s taxpayers on the hook for more than $7,000 in Bigfoot-related expenses, including a two-day, on-campus Bigfoot conference. After the conference, Dr. Dyer led a university-funded expedition to find Bigfoot in the Sandia Mountains. They didn’t find him.

When this information came to light, New Mexico State Sen. George Munoz sponsored a bill that would ban pubic funds from being spent on “looking for or catching a fictitious creature.”

Munoz also had a little fun with the bill. In addition to Bigfoot, it also bans publicly funded searches for Pokémon, leprechauns and the Bogeyman.

This is complete crap in my opinion... You're proposing a ban on searching for Bigfoot, a creature that has inspired millions of people to peer through the woods when you drive by them out in the country and wonder to yourself, "just what IF I see one." All because Dr. Dyer spent $7,000.00 of the tax payers dollars. That equates to about 0.005¢ per tax paying worker in the state of New Mexico. I would have loved to have had some type of class like this where I went to college. I almost feel bad for Munoz, it seems like he never got the chance to experience hearing stories of Bigfoot when he was a kid. Those are some of my most fond memories, being a kid and hearing stories about Bigfoot from my dad while we traveled through Texas on our way to see my Aunt and grandma.

nbc4i.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

It sounds like the professor should have went on a search for a real but endangered species like the Gray Bat or white-throated woodrat and accidentally looked for Bigfoot the whole time. I guess he could still do that, even with a laaw in place.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Separation of church and state, i.e, mythical creatures

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm a huge believer in Bigfoot, personal experiences in NE Iowa (not me directly but a few I'm associated with). But in no way should it be state funded. It needs to be privately funded.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
wow, a whole $7,000 that`s like how much a dozen families of illegals receive in one month for food stamps.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
NEXT step is to declare NM Illegals 'Mythical Creatures'...so I.C.E. can't search for them.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Separation of church and state, i.e, mythical creatures

Coelacanth was a mythical creature till they found one
But hey, I expect scientific research stops when those in power disagree

As for Bigfoot, why mythical, there have been enough sightings to make me think it's worth research
Isn't that what science is supposed to be about, people like you and me searching, searching to find out the truth
Allowing others to research what they believe for the truth
Or are you the only one who holds what is true and is not true

Science, poisoned by those who control it

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Curse of bigfoot was a great rifftrax.
edit on 14-2-2017 by FocusedWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

it is irresponsible for a state funded college professor to use public money to search for Bigfoot. Especially in New Mexico. If bigfoot exists it isn't going to be anywhere other than the Pacific Northwest, Canada, and possibly in the Appalachia Mountains. In my opinion. If this creature exists it must have lots of space and be very isolated. I doubt a creature of that alleged size could stay hidden in places like Iowa or even New Mexico. The fact that people claim to see it in nearly every state tells me many have too active imaginations.

The only reason Bigfoot is the only fringe theoretical phenomena (UFO's, etc) I can sort of get behind is that at this moment North America is the only continent that does not have a native simian creature. All others, except Antartica, have some sort of Ape like creature recorded. So, I would not be surprised if one was discovered but it will probably be in the deep rain forests of the Northwest United States or British Columbia.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

It sounds like the professor should have went on a search for a real but endangered species like the Gray Bat or white-throated woodrat and accidentally looked for Bigfoot the whole time. I guess he could still do that, even with a laaw in place.

Eeee hehehe, what a great idea... I never thought of that. White throated woodrat, LOL.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

I was a little torn on that. But then I realized how small that sum was and it didn't bother me. I'm a big believer, too. There have been multiple sightings here in the same set of woods. I heard 3 stories from 3 different guys who didn't know each other and had been out there over a span of a decade.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: icewater

it is irresponsible for a state funded college professor to use public money to search for Bigfoot. Especially in New Mexico. If bigfoot exists it isn't going to be anywhere other than the Pacific Northwest, Canada, and possibly in the Appalachia Mountains. In my opinion. If this creature exists it must have lots of space and be very isolated. I doubt a creature of that alleged size could stay hidden in places like Iowa or even New Mexico. The fact that people claim to see it in nearly every state tells me many have too active imaginations.

The only reason Bigfoot is the only fringe theoretical phenomena (UFO's, etc) I can sort of get behind is that at this moment North America is the only continent that does not have a native simian creature. All others, except Antartica, have some sort of Ape like creature recorded. So, I would not be surprised if one was discovered but it will probably be in the deep rain forests of the Northwest United States or British Columbia.

I've heard several stories of sighting around here, and as I mentioned earlier, I've heard 3 stories from 3 different guys that didn't know each other, but had been in the same plat of woods over a 10 year period and their sightings were all similar.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It would have been cheap if the guy actually found and caught a Bigfoot.
But that never happens.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Where is searching for Bigfoot banned? Hint, it's not. Making me pay for your search is.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

....When this information came to light, New Mexico State Sen. George Munoz sponsored a bill that would ban pubic funds from being spent on “looking for or catching a fictitious creature.”....

uhm.... How exactly can you ever "catch" something that is "fictitious"??
I think perhaps Mr Munoz slipped up a little bit there...

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

I think not. People could claim they were not looking for it, they were attempting capture. He covered both.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I think not. People could claim they were not looking for it, they were attempting capture. He covered both.

Eh? How can you attempt to capture something that you're not looking for?

Actually, I meant... if it's truly "fictitious" then by definition, it's not real... so how could it be caught anyway?
The instant that it was caught, it would become factual, real and non-fictitious.
It's not possible to capture something that is truly fictitious.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
It would have been cheap if the guy actually found and caught a Bigfoot.
But that never happens.

Orrrrrr. . . .does it???

What would you do if you caught a Bigfoot? Imagine what the government would do to it if you let them know you have one.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Where is searching for Bigfoot banned? Hint, it's not. Making me pay for your search is.

It would be banned everywhere in the state of New Mexico if you use tax dollars. You knew what I meant.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gordi The Drummer

Eh? How can you attempt to capture something that you're not looking for?

Actually, I meant... if it's truly "fictitious" then by definition, it's not real... so how could it be caught anyway?
The instant that it was caught, it would become factual, real and non-fictitious.
It's not possible to capture something that is truly fictitious.

And imagine the reaction once one was captured.

What would you do if you captured one? I truly can't say if I'd report it or not. I don't think I could.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join