It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does ATS Require a Verified Social Network Account for Signing Up?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

If you don't know what my problem is then you must not be very perceptive, since I just explained it to you, and did so 3 or 4 times in this thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SafePlace

Your problem is about using social media to sign up for a site that requires it.

You know what the simple solution to that would have been? Not signing up to a site that requires it.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yeah, there are those too. But even one that was proud of his encyclopedia dramatica page has mostly given up. Sadly I think he either ran out of ideas or kissed a girl that didn't file charges....probably ran out of ideas, the whole growing up and dating seems too far fetched for that one.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They made me pee in a cup before I could join.

Judging from some of the posts, only positive results get you in. LOL.

On topic: Gawd ppl, they said it was only temporary. Give them some credit.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

No... Because I didn't need to 7 years ago... So can't relate... And was suggesting trying to be helpful... not directive...

Best

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Of course not. But as a members only forum... we are quite different in rules, methods, requirements, and expectations...and unlike many other forums.

I suggest anyone/w specific questions address them by p.m. mail to the owners and Admin., S. O. and Springer directly.

Best intentions meant, MS

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Long time ago, staff had to manually approve member requests. Was before my time, barely. But as was pointed out by someone else, it makes things a little harder for those that only wish to troll and disrupt the membership at large. Especially for the true PITA's that come back over and over and over again because they think that they are smarter than the ones that spot them time and time again; yet still get a cheap thrill instead of becoming bored like most people would after a dozen or so tries. But you know how some people are, right?

Actually that is quite simple. IP ban and in rare instances IP range ban, I have been mod with ban privileges on another forum before. If spammers comes, we check the IP addresses and compare them to other banned accounts. If a match pop up, they will be banned.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: pompel9

IP bans are terrible on a site this big, we used to use them back when we were tiny buy for the last 0 or 10 years they wipe out too many non offensive accounts.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
a reply to: pompel9

IP bans are terrible on a site this big, we used to use them back when we were tiny buy for the last 0 or 10 years they wipe out too many non offensive accounts.

Good choice!

This is why I like ATS so much, because they think through these things. I have been to message boards that have banned me for no other reason than....I'm innocent.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Easy to see why this place has gone downhill now, full of Facebook warriors.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: liammc

ATS is, and has always been, member-driven content. The very simple and obvious solution to a perceived decline, is to create content that pleases you, interests you, engages your interest and creativity. Hopefully, others will enjoy it also and then you will have had a hand in affecting a positive change.

Where else on the internet do you have that degree of power of influence?
The responsibility is -- as always -- OURS, you and me, the members of ATS. We can grumble, or we can create.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: liammc

Rather than a one line snark, why not, oh I don't know, write a kick ass thread start, and show everyone how it's done? That would be much more effective, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Well, this is interesting! I hope it's temporary, because I think it's a terrible idea! I don't even like the little social media icons that are on the site now, to be honest. One of the things I always liked about ATS was that it wasn't linked to all of the social media stuff we see so many places. Till that wasn't the case. These days, it seems everything must be linked to social media, in one way or another. I'd have thought a conspiracy site would avoid that!! Site owner's decision, of course, but it surprised me. I wouldn't sign up if I had to use social media to do so. i mean, it's a conspiracy site, right? Social media is a huge information bank!!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Ok, if this has been covered in this thread already, I apologize, but why does the 'recover password' option not work? This is a second account that I had to create today, obviously via social media, because I had my original account password saved in a phone that was rendered non-functional due to damage. But when I tried to use the option to change it, I just keep getting 'serious error' messages. For weeks now.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishylives
Since I have not had to create a new account I can't answer your question. I don't think you can check your private messages yet. If you are who I think....you have an appearance to make young lady!!!!

You have been missed!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Send a U2U to an Admin, or use the Contact email to send them s message.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Mandela Effect: Time upon a once, you had to wait to be verified by the staff to become a member. One of the rejections was....a disposable email address.

Temporary shift to verification by having a social media account is both peanuts and clear the staff from manually doing so by simple automation that looks to see if that account exists.

But the Woo factor in the thread is great so far. I'd put it up there with suspicious Mars rocks.
I was a lurker for so long I still remember that. But didn't actually sign up till 2012, however I frequented the site numerous times back in the say to read stuff.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I couldn't even use the contact feature on the page. And I do have to be logged in to send a U2U, I believe, so I created this account to be able to have site access.

And HI, ZAPHOD58! Missed ya!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

You can use this one to send the message about your other account and get it straightened out.

Been awhile.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Who, exactly, do I address the admin U2U to? Just 'admin'?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join