It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA Evacuation & the Preparedness of our Govt.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: timidgal

Yup if California secedes from the Union they are in top notch hands. Good thing they are spending money they dont have on entitlement programs for illegals while ignoring critical infrastructure and their won US citizens.

/end sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

it baffles me that The California Dept of Fish & Wildlife began evacuating fish before evacuating people.

Ok, somebody explain me how do you evacuate fishes.

Lightly battered between 2 pieces of bread with some lemon juice and tater sauce.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The Engineers and probably the company are long gone it was started in 1961 and finished in the late 60's. So you have what you have. Many leftist are claiming Regan built the dam but it was Pat Brown a Demoncrat and finished under Regan.

cheers:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Hey...are YOU ready for you and your family? Plans without phones, computers radios? Got water, food, gas, clothes, er supplies to last at least 3-5 days for every member of your family?

Dont expect the government to help you. Help yourself first. We're gonna be real busy with the most urgent situations.

MS
1st Responder
EMT/ERT
FEMA/Homelands Sec.

Everyone should be prepared for a disaster, at least for a week or two. Having food stores that you can take along is necessary, like canned meats, canned soups, or other things you can haul with you if you have to leave quickly. Make sure there is a can opener in that bug out bag too. I used to carry around a pocket knife with a can opener on it when I was a kid, now they say kids cannot have things like that. We were told also to have a lighter or matches on us, most kids had that too. Now you would be kicked out of school for that. How things have changed.....for the worse.

We never had kids here pulling out their knives in fights when I was young even though there were fights. We were trained never to do that. I used to stop at the store often and buy a can of Tuna and eat it out of the can when I was a kid.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I'm glad you are prepped even a little.

Most of the country thinks the government will come in to save all. We can't... but I and my teammates will do all we can in a major disaster event. But there are only so many of us, and I have to prioritize and triage everyone.

Always be prepared. Our government isn't... and never was.

And volunteer! Somewhere... Anywhere... We need everyone...

Thanks, Best, MS

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Please break up your wall of words... pictures between the wall if it gets that long.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Hiya RM! Nice to connect with you. I still eat tuna outta the can...

At the minimum... Like FEMA or not... Visit: READY. GOV for disaster and emergency lists. They are very helpful.

How many people know you should have 3 gallons of stored water PER family member PER DAY? So a family of 5 say needs...? And pets are on the bottom of any survival necessities.

Gosh sakes folks! Be prepared. It doesn't take much $$$.

Best to all.... Cya RM too!

MS

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Hiya RM! Nice to connect with you. I still eat tuna outta the can...

At the minimum... Like FEMA or not... Visit: READY. GOV for disaster and emergency lists. They are very helpful.

How many people know you should have 3 gallons of stored water PER family member PER DAY? So a family of 5 say needs...? And pets are on the bottom of any survival necessities.

Gosh sakes folks! Be prepared. It doesn't take much $$$.

Best to all.... Cya RM too!

MS

We're doing all right, we wouldn't have to go to the store for a month or two if we decided to bring down our pantry. I actually think we might get fat if we did that, if you don't have to spend the money that week to restock the shelves, you might actually eat more. We could use another bottle of Mayo, but it hasn't been on sale, we do have ten bottles of Miracle whip though.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Idiot Californian Govt. Cali's been under a drought for years, then when they finally fill up,(TOP OFF)the reservoir it has problems, now they are going to need to drain the lake wasting billions of precious water to fix the dam properly. What a waste of water.

Hope next few years arnt a drought again.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

There's no time to properly inspect this stuff. Most inspections consist of an engineer driving by the place, looking at it from a distance for 10 minutes, and signing some paperwork. There's not a single state that has enough engineers on staff to do proper inspections, in some states we have dam's that were built 60 years ago that haven't had a single inspection because engineers are still trying to rotate through everything in the queue. The reality is, even if something is signed off as unsafe there's no money to repair or rebuild it, so the state will just continue and hope nothing bad happens.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: timidgal

Thanks for the inspection update. It's disgusting that they would be so ineffective when people's lives are concerned. Our officials always seem to put a bandaid on these types of issues. You're right and if the worst we're to happen, the cost would be much higher than just fixing the problem now.

Here's the thing. Every piece of infrastructure from the moment it's built has a lifetime on it. Given enough time it all has to be replaced. If something is sold as being good for 50 years, it's going to be stretched to 80 because rebuilding it in 50 is 60% more expensive, while stretching it to 80 only has a .1% chance of failing.

It's all cost/benefit analysis. In most cases it's cheaper to risk infrastructure failing than spending more money sooner.

The US is in something of a bad position in this regard too, because ours was built 100 years ago up through the depression (the newer stuff having been built using the Conservation Core). Most other developed nations were destroyed in WW2, and built their infrastructure over the 20 years following that. As a result, we've got another 30 years worth of decay on them, and now we have to rebuild stuff while no one else does. To make matters worse, we were supposed to pay this stuff off through taxes, and even build a surplus for the next round. But those taxes were all redirected to other programs.

It's a complete mess, and the people responsible are long gone.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is like NOLA and its levees. Everyone knew this was coming and also assumed it would end up being someone else's problem down the road. So now it's someone else's problem today and everyone wonders what went wrong.

What went wrong is too much corruption and too many self-serving pols who wanted to line their own pockets or buy votes with money that should have been buying the unsexy dam in Oroville.

You can see the same story going on all across this country. We have the same problem, but ours is a sewer system they are wanting to jack our taxes to pay for.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You can see the same story going on all across this country. We have the same problem, but ours is a sewer system they are wanting to jack our taxes to pay for.

But not paying taxes for it is exactly how you get into this situation long term. If there's sufficient opposition to the taxes, they'll come up with a "plan" that's pitched to voters as being more financially sound and not costing anyone anything. And then 20 years in the future you end up with issues because it was never fixed. At which point disaster is imminent and everything has to be rebuilt at triple the cost.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: ketsuko

But not paying taxes for it is exactly how you get into this situation long term. If there's sufficient opposition to the taxes, they'll come up with a "plan" that's pitched to voters as being more financially sound and not costing anyone anything. And then 20 years in the future you end up with issues because it was never fixed. At which point disaster is imminent and everything has to be rebuilt at triple the cost.

Oh, don't mistake me. They have or had plenty of revenue, but they blew it or blow it on fancy things like a street car line that only runs a mile and a half. The money they spent on that could easily have been dedicated to the sewers, but they chose not to. The mayor doesn't want his name on the new sewer system I guess? It's not a wonderful vanity project for posterity.

And when you have a mayor and city council who have a history of making such poor choices, the city voters have no trust that any tax hikes will a.) be finite and b.) actually be spent on what they are telling us they will be.
edit on 14-2-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It sounds like someone took a shape charge and blew a hole there on purpose. Its the nations biggest dam and a big target.

Good articles linked inside this
gizadeathstar.com...

edit on 14/2/2017 by chris_stibrany because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
You may be right.

I hope trump goes full fdr and we fix this snip.well and hoover right.

a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Watch out for when Mayo or miracle whip expires. It turns more than your stomach!! Stock up on rolaids, zantac, pepto bismal... Something for sour stomach!!!

Best... MS

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I don't buy that as an excuse especially when environmental groups who did monitor the condition had already in 2005 spoke out and gave warning to officials who just ignored those warnings. If an inspector has time to drive buy and check a box, he or she has enough time to get out of the car and spot the gaping hole in the concrete. Enough time should have been found, especially after the alarm was given as far back as 2005.

I realize that our that state officials in every state often do not provide enough inspectors or money for the situations encountered. When a project like this is planned, I believe a proper funding plan should be in place before construction is even started.

As important as water is to California, these projects should be at the front of the line, but instead millions go toward paying a former Attorney General to fight a new President over Federal laws that the current State government does not support. It is criminal what we have allowed to go on as far as the under funding of our infrastructure at both the Federal and State levels, monies from taxation have instead gone to fund politicians pet projects.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Check out John Oliver's episode on infrastrcuture. It does a good job of summing up the problem. We have bridges in the US that are supposed to have yearly inspections that haven't had a single inspection in the 50 years they've been standing. This stuff is a very real problem, but it's difficult to get political support for because when infrastructure is working nothing happens. Proving a need for more money which leads to more inspections and maintenance is like proving a negative. It involves making an unprovable case. The engineers know that SOMETHING is going to fail, but they don't know what specifically will fail, so the politcians won't spend money on everything "just incase", and when they try most people resist the tax increases. Worse, when they succeed, they make repairs and there's no positive feedback for doing so other than things continuing as before, so the money gets the perception as not having been needed and the next spending measure is even harder to pass.

<< 1   >>

join