It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would anyone be willing to help me study a topic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So I'm studying mormonism in general and looking for every view point I can at different prophecies, books written by their prophets, and things like that - less to convert, more to understand more religions, and to write a paper for a class as well.

One thing I find interesting is some say that there are extreme parallels between the pearl of great price, the book of Moses - both Lds literature, and something to do with the dead sea scrolls - literature found only recently, with so called parallels that cannot be explained other than that Joseph Smith was a man of God. Hugh nibleys "Enoch the prophet" is supposed to show these parallels, though this is one area I'm having an issue finding concrete evidence for or against.

Can anyone help me support their claim, or debunk it? I would be grateful for any help on this project.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheCentristPhilosopher

Have you considered contacting an LDS church?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm not sure how that would work, my cousins are Mormon but they aren't historians or anything, and they say there's no real hotline to call with such questions.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Talk to a Ward Bishop.

They're pretty knowledgeable.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Doubled up
edit on 13-2-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Just look for a pair of the kids dressed like the Blues Brothers going door to door on bikes. They've been trained and it's actually their job to answer questions about the church's beliefs and traditions.

You can call a local LDS and request they visit your home.
edit on 13-2-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I can offer my help as long as it is within the rules and boundaries, it means," Some things you have to do on your own, and some things i can help you with "

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I was mormon. One research you may like to do is about that tall obelisk they have outside their churches.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Wikileaks has released some Mormon document. Might want to search that.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I'd recommend starting here, and then expanding. Mormonism is a cult, in that it alters Biblical information, adds to it (forbidden), and changes many things. They do not believe that Jesus is God, do believe that people can become "gods", and even more unusual things.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheCentristPhilosopher
Joseph Smith was a man of God.

Well, the man told his 14 year old bride that if she ever left the church that she would be destroyed.
She left, both him and the Mormon church. And she was not destroyed.

She did however maintain a belief in the Book of Mormon if I remember correctly, although she did disavow Utah Mormonism.

But if Smith was a prophet and told a young woman that she would be destroyed for leaving, then Smith obviously wasn't representing Divine Authority as Moses wielded as a true prophet.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

So I do know some things about Mormons and they aren't really historians. In fact, most have no idea most of the details surrounding the founding of their religion, they just know the stories that are passed on at their Sunday classes and the like.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
South Park did some pretty thorough research on Mormonism in one of their episodes.

And despite what some may think is a comedic post, whoever contributed the source material for the program actually did have a pretty good understanding.

top topics

join