It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do women scream?!?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Can't say I rightly know. I'm a woman and the only time I've ever screamed in my life was while I was in labor with my second child.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I really can't answer this question from personal experience, but I have always wondered the same thing.

When I'm truly angry, I raise the volume of my voice, but I deepen the pitch a bit. I try to sound more masculine and dominant when I'm raising my voice, because to me raising my voice typically means I'm now challenging whoever I'm raising it at, in some way, intellectually or physically and by sounding more masculine I feel it informs the person that they now know they have made a mistake. Rarely do I ever have to do this. I can't stand when girls get screechy. A lot of my friends do that. My sisters don't really do it either, so I don't know, maybe it's just something we picked up from our dad, since our mother didn't really yell or scream at anyone in front of us.

I just think, pick and choose your battles, most things can be talked out, or flat out ignored but when you do choose a battle... stop screeching. For the love of everything.

What does it accomplish? It's like hearing a dog yapping constantly, and I personally think it turns anyone off from hearing the words that are leaving your lips.

Then again, I've heard a few guys do this as well, and it's just as obnoxious.

-Alee

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Can't say I rightly know. I'm a woman and the only time I've ever screamed in my life was while I was in labor with my second child.

I know what you mean.

I have a deep voice for a woman, and while I like to try to scream when I am on a roller coaster because it just feels good, what comes out can't rightly be called what most people think of as a scream.

When I am talking to my son in an angry tone, my voice gets sharper. it doesn't get higher pitched.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
My impression stems from biological/behavioral purpose in human evolution. Generally the men hunted and the women carried out social tasks and were responsible for communicating information to other tribe members as well as other tribes when they find food, water or they alert others of danger.

We all scream and it seems it serves not only as warning or notification within tribe/environment, but also as a defense to threats, as in a scream may deter danger from a predator or situation.

An interesting article:

Normally, your brain takes a sound you hear and delivers it to a section of your brain dedicated to making sense of these sounds: What is the gender of the speaker? Their age? Their tone?
Screams, however, don't seem to follow that route. Instead, the team discovered that screams are sent from the ear to the amygdala, the brain's fear processing warehouse, says Poeppel.
"In brain imaging parts of the experiment, screams activate the fear circuitry of the brain," he says. "The amygdala is a nucleus in the brain especially sensitive to information about fear." That means screams are inherently considered not just sound but a trigger for heightened awareness.
From these screams, Poeppel and his team mapped "roughness," an acoustic description for how fast a sound changes in loudness. While normal speech modulates between 4 and 5 Hz in sound variation, screams spike between 30 and 150 Hz. The higher the sound variation, the more terrifying the scream is perceived.
Poeppel and his team had volunteers listen to different alarm sounds and found people responded to alarms with similar variations: The more the alarms varied at higher rates, the more terrifying they were judged to be.
That huge variation in scream roughness is a clue to how our brains process danger sounds, Poeppel says. Screaming serves not only to convey danger but also to induce fear in the listener and heighten awareness for both screamer and listener to respond to their environmen

Article

I think screams can also be a form of expression. Anger, fear, frustration,excitement and surprise could be reasons for a scream. It does hit a primal nerve whether it be man woman, child or even animals screaming.
Very effective these screams..

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I don't know. They sure make funny noises when you hide in the dark with a mask on and jump out and say "BOO" though.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I believe that you have cause/effect reversed.

For example, men screaming isn't quite the same. We certainly fail to get that high pitched primate screech. Little girls are just like little primates, screeching at every opportunity while socializing.

Women aren't taught to be more emotional. Its millenia of natural selection. The traits we see in the 2 genders are a result of the human condition at some point in our past.

But the answer to the OP: we are primates, and exhibit primate behaviors. We scream, laugh, we like to pick and eat (the hand to mouth movement is one of the bigger parts of the smoking habit). We are primates.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Because they can.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Why do women scream?!?

It's a primitive response to a threat.

(post by CHONGO removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I noticed this too.
My wife is a class 4 screamer....but not when scared

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I've had a field mouse run across my foot while I was peeing off the porch one night.
I screamed like a panicked chimpanzee and pissed on my hand.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I screamed the night I lost my field mouse.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Ask my 1st and 2nd ex-wives. The 3rd and final /current one....she'll just scream at you.....

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I ask that question every time that I tell them to put the lotion on their skin.

What about when "its doesn't put the lotion back in the basket"???

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Hunter Gatherer warning signal to warn the tribe something is wrong.

The scream is basically an alarm signal.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

yeah, i can imagine a rather heavy selection for screaming, as those who don't scream end up taken and eaten.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Or carted off by the competing tribe.

These day's some spouse would pay them to do that.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I have yelled at my tv many times, and still do to this day. I think it is biological. Sometimes I enjoy it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join