It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lt. Gen. Hal Moore dies; depicted in film 'We Were Soldiers'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Retired Lt. Gen. Harold G. "Hal" Moore, the American hero known for saving most of his men in the first major battle between the U.S. and North Vietnamese armies, has died. He was 94.

Joseph Galloway, who with Moore co-authored the book "We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young," confirmed Saturday to The Associated Press that Moore died late Friday in his sleep at his home in Auburn, Alabama.

Galloway said Moore, his friend of 51 years, died two days shy of his 95th birthday.

"There's something missing on this earth now. We've lost a great warrior, a great soldier, a great human being and my best friend. They don't make them like him anymore," Galloway said.

Moore was best known for his actions at the 1965 Battle of Ia Drang, where he was a lieutenant colonel in command of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment. His actions were later reflected in the movie "We Were Soldiers" in which actor Mel Gibson portrayed Moore. The book tells what happened to virtually every trooper involved in the 34-day campaign and the climactic four-day battle in which 234 Americans died at landing zones X-Ray and Albany in November 1965.

LINK

A great man.

He will be missed.

His speech performed by Mel Gibson

As a fellow warrior, I can tell you I would have followed him into the gates of Hell...

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I felt it when his CSM passed away a few years back. There was a small ceremony conducted by the senior NCOs where I was stationed. I was very impressed by the professionalism that can be found still in uniformed Servicemen.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
We actually got to watch this in basic in 03 since it was filmed there at Benning.

A big *Salute* Sir and may you rest in peace.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hal Moore will go down with some greats in the US military. He Is the mold for the newest batch of young officers. He was, as I like to put it, a warrior king much like Patton, Schwarzkopf and Olds.

Today's military is too political and any advancement depends on how far you push your nose up the president's a$$. Military skills are only secondary to brown nosing.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

A very powerful speech, thank you for posting that.
Timeless wisdom. I really needed to hear this today,
cant say enough thanks.

P.S. I love your avatar!
Waiting for spring everyday.

new topics

top topics

join