It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Renames Calhoun College Over Slavery Ties

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The problem is where does the outrage end? I mean we can carry this on through back to Africa. African tribes often cooperated with slave trader selling their POWs. Muslims supported slavery. I mean if we are just going to scrub all history we dont like there is a lot of scrubbing that needs to be done.

As for the Hitler comparison, again the people complaining have no problem driving BMWs, porsches, VWs, etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
The general acceptance of white supremacy on this site is getting alarming.

I'm out. # all y'all.

so in other words you don`t intend to back up your claims with facts?you`re just gonna spew absurd nonsense and then leave?
edit on 11-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The outrage will be boundless unless adults introduce some sanity into the mix.

Add Ford to that list of not minding to drive.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

originally posted by: Abysha
The general acceptance of white supremacy on this site is getting alarming.

I'm out. # all y'all.

so in other words you don`t intend to back up your claims with facts?you`re just gonna spew absurd nonsense and then leave?

No. I don't intend to entertain the idea that legality = morality. So what if slavery was legal? FFS, what the hell does that have to do with anything?!

It was freakin' slavery! Good lord. SO and Co. needs to change the culture here before it becomes Storm Front with pretty fonts.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

So no source for your statement about Germany.

This is NOT personal.
The point of this thread is to see why and where is this going to end up.

If we think our leaders that we have on our money, on our buildings and in our history books are perfect. Guess what, we will have a blank white hole in the middle of our $20 bill.

It was a different time, and it is hard to imagine, but it happened.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

you`re the one who compared legal slavery 185 years ago to burning jews in ovens 75 years ago.

I`m not saying that slavery was moral or that it should have even been legal, I`m just saying that Calhoun was supporting the laws of the land and living by those laws like most law abiding people do even today.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

What does FFS and SO and CO. mean?

No. I don't intend to entertain the idea that legality = morality. So what if slavery was legal? FFS, what the hell does that have to do with anything?!

It was freakin' slavery! Good lord. SO and Co. needs to change the culture here before it becomes Storm Front with pretty fonts.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
They used Jews as slave labor too...

The Final Solution
The nature and timing of the decisions that led to the Final Solution is an intensely studied and debated aspect of the Holocaust. The program evolved during the first 25 months of war leading to the attempt at "murdering every last Jew in the German grasp". Most historians agree, wrote Christopher Browning, that the Final Solution cannot be attributed to a single decision made at one particular point in time.[4] "It is generally accepted the decision-making process was prolonged and incremental."[5] In 1940, following the Fall of France, the Madagascar Plan was devised by Adolf Eichmann in order to relocate Europe's Jewish population to the French colony; but the plan was abandoned for logistical reasons mainly due to a naval blockade.[6] There were also plans to deport Jews to Palestine[7] and Siberia.[8] In 1941, wrote Raul Hilberg, in the first phase of the mass murder of Jews, the mobile killing units began to pursue their victims across occupied eastern territories; in the second phase, stretching across all of German-occupied Europe, the Jewish victims were sent on death trains to centralized extermination camps built for the purpose of systematic implementation of the Final Solution.[9]

Policies and programs that are promoted by a dictator in his dictatorship are essentially the law inside that dictatorship. Slavery and the treatment of the indigenous population of North America by our ancestors are black marks on our society. Can't we agree that both slavery and the Holocaust were bad things that we shouldn't be nostalgic about?

Yale is a private institution that can name something whatever it wants.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

Who said that slavery was good or to get nostalgic about?

Who has said that WW II Germany was a good thing or to get nostalgic about?

Of course they can name buildings what they want, but if you think this will stop at the buildings I think it will be a rude awakening.
edit on 11-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

This is what John Calhoun thought:

John C. Calhoun
I take higher ground. I hold that in the present state of civilization, where two races of different origin, and distinguished by color, and other physical differences, as well as intellectual, are brought together, the relation now existing in the slaveholding States between the two, is, instead of an evil, a good—a positive good ... I may say with truth, that in few countries so much is left to the share of the laborer, and so little exacted from him, or where there is more kind attention paid to him in sickness or infirmities of age. Compare his condition with the tenants of the poor houses in the more civilized portions of Europe—look at the sick, and the old and infirm slave, on one hand, in the midst of his family and friends, under the kind superintending care of his master and mistress, and compare it with the forlorn and wretched condition of the pauper in the poorhouse ... I hold then, that there never has yet existed a wealthy and civilized society in which one portion of the community did not, in point of fact, live on the labor of the other

# him.

Naming something after someone is invoking nostalgia about said person, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Okay. Gotcha.

We need congress to pass legislation with a list of any person in our country's history, past, present, doesn't matter-
who owned, known someone who owned, affiliated with those who owned slaves-and not allow their names anywhere on buildings, in books, or ever spoken of again.

Will that make it okay then? Or, what will be the next thing that offends someone about true, real history that we must react to?

edit on 11-2-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Did you catch a date with the quotes? He was born in 1780.

You do realize that there was a different culture and law back then, right?

Do you eat meat? Wear leather? Use products produced in terrible conditions?

Of course you do. There will be a day when we are going to be considered uncivilized.

I would not name a building after Calhoun now, but in 1936, if I remember the date correctly, it must have made some sense. Changing it isn't putting the genie back in the bottle. Again the guy was born in 1780.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

nonsense, if it was legal then every german would have been allowed to have an oven in their house or garden and been allowed to throw any jew into it.at the very least every german would have been familiar with a law like that. no german has ever come forward to this day and said that it was legal under hitler to burn jews in ovens, in fact when the war ended most germans denied even knowing that it had happened.

hitler did a lot of crazy stuff as a dictator but that doesn`t mean it was legal in Germany.

dictators can dictate laws show me the law that says it was legal to burn jews in ovens in Germany.as the dictator surely hitler had the power to institute a law like that.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Don't forget about Calhoun county Michigan, they must be nuts to have that name splashed all over the county. But changing the name to something else will set the whole slave thing right.

Slavery was wrong, in 1780 it was as common as the US using product today made by people who want to kill themselves by jumping off the build they work in in China. And we KNOW about it.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
abortion is legal and common place today but in 185 years it may be illegal and considered a form of genocide, but today people do it and think nothing of it, many people publicly support it.

the important thing to remember in all of this is that they didn't name it after him because he was a supporter of slavery they named it after him because he was a president.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I don't think he ever won the pres, he ran and dropped out. He was some mucky muck in the Democratic, that's right the DEMOCRATIC party.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

We must re-write history. We cannot possibly accept what our ancestors did that offend us.

Then, everything will be okay until oops, we make a decision that our grandchildren find offensive-then, your name will be removed from the Family Bible.

I get the gist of it now.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I think we will have some very upset grand children, its called 20 trill in debt. They will look back on our efforts and want our names removed from everything.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Oh, surely we have done worse than just our economics. But, I bet, those Clintons and Obama will be everywhere! hahaha
edit on 12-2-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
What people seem to not understand is that no one is advocating that a private school shouldn't be able to rename their buildings. The issue is that in modern culture there is an emergence of apologist culture that is destroying institutions. Everyone is offended by everything. Instead of looking at the reasons the building was named after him in the first place, Yale wants to make headlines for its desperate, misguided liberal agendas. These agendas are the new curriculum, and educational institutions focus more on indoctrination than education. Instead of creating a society of critical thinkers who receive information and reach conclusions, we are force feeding impressionable minds with conclusions and telling them to go create the information that supports those conclusions. The underpinnings of all of this are the scariest part. Slippery slope.
edit on 12-2-2017 by ExNihiloRed because: Typo

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join