It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-driving cars are already deciding who to kill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Would you trust your life to a handful of strangers? A hunk of metal that drives itself? Is it worth it or do you live your life in the fast lane tempting fate?

All valid questions we must consider here. Would cars like these be used for unbecoming means to further population control? No doubt in my mind that they would.

Trust is a sacred thing, so do you think lack of control over your well being, is it worth the risk of possible injury or death?

uk.businessinsider.com...

Autonomous vehicles are already making profound choices about whose lives matter, according to experts, so we might want to pay attention.

"On one hand, the algorithms that control the car may have an explicit set of rules to make moral tradeoffs," Rahwan wrote. "On the other hand, the decision made by a car in the case of unavoidable harm may emerge from the interaction of various software components, none of which has explicit programming to handle moral tradeoffs."

Tesla already has full self-driving hardware on all cars.

How are AV companies actually handling these ethical issues? In many cases, they’re trying to dodge the question.

edit on 11-2-2017 by LuXTeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Although having a computer decide to hit the car vs. The pedestrian is troubling... Population control? I think a fat NO.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Many are saying by 2029 everyone in the transportation industry will be looking for new jobs. There are times I do wish I could get in a vehicle and just say take me to ??? and read a book or sleep during the trip.

I figure one day they will outlaw self driven cars....you know... for the children etc etc.. All this is coming and maybe, as in the past the predictions, are way off the time line.. Others have said those born today will never need a driver's license.. That was a right of passage when I turned 16 and freedom...!

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It's a valid question in the article.. and not anything to do with population control. That's a ridiculous assumption.
As for putting our lives at risk in the hands of other, we already do that.. taxi's, planes, trains, boats etc..

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

And why do you think that's a fat No?

When I say population control, I'm referring to the fact that in twenty yrs or so, this technology could be used against people. Think robot cop!

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

So you don't think technology such as this could be hacked then?

ETA: You feel just dandy then being watched and tracked everywhere you drive your car? And if 'someone didn't like you or like where you were driving it, could fck up your day or life by having more control over you than you did'?
edit on 11-2-2017 by LuXTeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

True. There's nothing like feeling in control of your own wheel though.

There's a Company that claims this will be the norm by 2020. I seriously hope not.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN
a reply to: Misterlondon

So you don't think technology such as this could be hacked then?

If they can hack a USA military drone (Iran seemed to do that a few years ago) and bring it down then IMO the low bidder carnet multi-function control device would probably not be all that hard for someone determined and the know how..

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

This is exactly what people are failing on. Critical thinking, besides the fact that there are hackers who would love the challenge. Not to disclude gang warfare and cartells.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
All vehicles will be self driving soon, it is unavoidable.

It will be enforced by the states.

Networked vehicles will be more efficient, reduce wear on the roads and greatly reduce traffic fatalities.

In short it will be too expensive to not use self driving vehicles.

You may be able to have the option for a while, but the cost of insurance to drive yourself will be so prohibitive that only the very wealthy will be able to afford it.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

"My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime"

- Rush "Red Barchetta"

With all the "carbon taxes" and panicked screams of "Global Warming!!" driving a vehicle with an internal combustion engine will probably one day be a crime.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

You're jumping all the way to Skynet.
edit on 2/11/2017 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

I like to think ahead.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I think the points made in the OP are valid ones.

I wouldn't want a self driving car in this decade or the any other.

Good points

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

A mode of transport that has a brain of it's own?

HELL NO.

I'm going back to my horse now....

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

I agree

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

And i second that!!

Safe is always smarter.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This little gem seems fitting, and it's already real.

Do you like having control of the brakes on your car?

The more networked our vehicles become, the more avenues open up which can be exploited.
edit on 2/11/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I'll just walk. Or stay at home.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Thanks for the great Vid redmage

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join