It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Climate Change Will Change Us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
In the language of dynamical systems theory, you could say that the "agency" of the planet has communicated to scientists the nature of the reality we live within.

Scientists are the "techno-apparatuses" of this communication. Reality is telling us what is going on, but for the powers that be, the non-linear reality is too much for them: it makes logical and serially coherent what was only hazy - intuitive, and lived as truth by thousands of mystics - but nevertheless, something they could plausibly deny and go on with life.

But modern non-linear systems theory has truly demolished that narrative with a very complex - and very logical - explanation of how "things" in the world emerge. We are all integrated and woven into a common fabric: agencies are not "separated onlookers", but literally created by non-linear energetic dynamics, and the way those dynamics interact at an even higher level through the creation of a narrative in our relating

The Buddhists were essentially right: there is a piecemeal sort of organization to the behavior of our minds. "Moments of knowledge" become organizing units for the behavior of our minds, no if's and's or buts: the narratives we weave are forced into creation by unconscious interpersonal dynamics between Humans. In other words, like the planetary climate system dubbed "Gaia" by James Lovelock, the human mind is similarly created by momentary constructions impelled into existence by the way one mind-brain "recognizes" a particular environment, and either heightening, lessening or maintaining our bodily arousal.

When we understand this - when we see what non-linearity means, we begin to notice something which for many people feels completely implausible: the independent existence of consciousness.

Now, what this means is hard to say, as consciousness without a material world would seem to yield nothing - inasmuch as everything we know comes from an experienced external reality. Indeed, if Ervin Laszlo is right and the universe is an evolving agency that "saves" its new creations within the "quantum vacuum" within the possibilities that underlie spacetimematter, then consciousness might be the expression of possibilities within any "ecology' of spacetime that accomodates the emergence of particular ontologically primed dynamics, and with every life and every existence, the Universe "marks out" a new boundary - new properties, as a function of its expanding possibilities.

What lies before us is the realization that the self is a construction of living processes. We enact ourselves from pre-existing conditions from one material-moment to the next material-moment. There is no evidence for any 'blueprint', but rather a world that explores possibilities through the way symmetry forms between matter over space-time, yielding possibilities that become formative 'agencies' in themselves, such as the brainstems conduction of our feeling state, which is an agency that acts "upon" our consciousness (which emerges as a function of many frontal neural components).

The Human "story" is not so much coming to an "end", as it is achieving a new and higher level, where we no long tell ourselves fantasies about the nature of our existence Science indeed possesses the means to make sense of all of it - and it may end up confirming the deepest and most meaningful insights into the Human condition, intimated by the Hebrew prophets (psalms, proverbs, being interesting examples) the historical personage of Jesus, and the founder of Buddhism, Siddhartha Gautama.

This is a scary thing for many people because many people are deeply invested in knowing themselves as "their self". The idea of being originally the Universe, and experiencing life in the form of an "avatar" - or embodiment of the whole, but constricted within the finitude of universal dynamics - can be overwhelming for the self of a person to integrate.

Nevertheless, knowledge of this nature, when "held to", and relaxed towards, will overtime become less of a 'surprising' knowledge, as your awareness acclimates (no doubt, through "internal work") to the reality of our existential situation.

Phenomena which seem to constitute an irreducible whole are rightful called "agencies". Just as the self we experience and know is causally real, inasmuch as each of us our sensitive to any intimation by others that we are somehow 'deficient', and will instantaneously discover ourselves existing in adaptive mode to deal with it - the emotional impact on our experience of self at the moment, that is.

For the first time in a long time, Humanity is rediscovering the reality of the planetary context we exist within, and quite rightly, I think, does it evoke a feeling of the "wise mother", organizing the balance of the processes which occur within and through her. In a boundaried system, the universe seems particularly hardwired to maintain symmetry - either in physical structure or temporal coherency (which maintains physical structure over moments of time) so it really shouldn't be too implausible to consider the Earth an "agency" which is communicating - and affecting us - through the various technologies we have evolved to gauge the earths dynamics.

The Earth tells us: restrain yourself! What each of you do affects the whole! Each of you are affected by one anothers propositions (assertions), so that if one says they will not restrain yourself, the other will be inclined to do so as well. Dissociating from the responsibility - from the emotional burden - of having to contribute to the repair of the Earths dynamics by restraining and regulating your desires (embodied feelings towards objects) is easier - but by doing so you help contribute to the Earths destruction.

This must become the future ethos of any future Humanity. When we deny the inexorable facts of existence, we show the most obscene ingratitude towards an existence which all of us seek to take advantage of. Seriously. The fact that nihilists live in physical bodies - experience desires and pleasures through their bodies, and feel particularly compelled to destroy the 'worlds of others', speaks to the total corruption of their minds: they are simultaneously affirming the value of something (living, feeling) while engaging processes that threaten the existence of those very values i.e. ideas, speech, and actions).

Anywho, many of us already speak of the Earth and her dynamics as a veritable agency: as telling Human beings: you can't do this. You can't spew your dangerous chemicals into the atmosphere, cut down trees and turn livestock into maximum money-making machines - without threatening your own existence.

A sane person will say "you're right". I acknowledge what you're saying, planet Earth. I'll stop. I'll cut down. I know things need to change.

But insane people will continue preferring their fantasies: geo-engineering? Check. Escape the planet when we begin to destroy it? Check.

Our media shows what our elites fantasize about. But it's ludicrous, of course. Astronauts can't stay in space for a year without their chromosomes shortening and their bodies incurring all sorts of damage. Space is HOSTILE to Human bodies, which, given today's knowledge, we seem no where close to discovering any solutions towards.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I like your thread, even though I disagree with it.

"But insane people will continue preferring their fantasies: geo-engineering? Check. Escape the planet when we begin to destroy it? Check. "

I guess I am insane. Eventually this planet will become inhospitable to humans, even if we un-evolve and go back to lesser means. At some point an asteroid, a super volcano, a mega solar flare, super virus, nuclear etc., some disaster will destroy everything we have worked to build. We absolutely must do everything in our power to colonize the solar system, and then the galaxy, or we will be condemning ourselves to extinction.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Don't you think a project such as that should come after we fix things on Earth? If people aren't being treated fairly by other people, society is broken because one part is unjustifiably exploiting another part.

What you're saying is logical, after we are settled in our social and economic relations. Then, of course, when things are more relaxed, its highly likely that Humans with your interest will put money into 'exploring the solar system'.

I am all for that, but consider how abstract that is compared to the embodied realities of people who are currently living, currently being exploited, and ultimately considered 'expendable by the elite class.

Rationality is always about controlling your emotions. The person who doesn't see this as 'relevant' ignores the actual causative conditions which structure his motivations. For instance, if we were face to face, and I gave you continuous non-verbal signals that your speech was irritating me, don't you think your brain does 'work' to either dissociate this information (i.e. dilute your awareness of it) or, conversely, take command of your perceptual awareness so that you hyper-focus on the negative cues I'm giving you? If you just "go with the flow", you never bring your consciousness (metacognition) into interaction with what you recognize to be occurring, and thus, you become a passive instrument of emotional dynamics.

In either scenario, the behavior your mind shows is a response to my negative non-verbal cues, and so is not arbitrary. If I told you "pay attention to the way your body compels you to overlook my point", you would implicitly experience this to be an arrogant or narcissistic thing for me to say. The minds of today's generation are like children minds: "if your against me, that means i'm bad", and I cannot be "bad" because I do not have an environment for my mind to 'metabolize' that as a real psychological possibility for thinking.

What I'm saying is this: your point is logical insomuch as it is important to consider the various dangers that threaten Human existence i.e. space, super-volcano's. However, it is not logical when you begin to hyper-focus on this one issue, and in the process, ignore the importance of other Human values, such as helping people who are being unfairly exploited by other Humans.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Thank you for the video! I thought I knew all Carlin's work, this is genius!! People can't except plain simple logic, we're not that important...

a reply to: Black_Fox

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astrocyte
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Don't you think a project such as that should come after we fix things on Earth? If people aren't being treated fairly by other people, society is broken because one part is unjustifiably exploiting another part.

If you are being serious, wow.

The Earth will never be "fixed"

Elon Musk is guilty of exploiting society by your logic.
edit on 11-2-2017 by knightsofcydonia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

When it comes to survival things like fairness are irrelevant.

Principles only matter to one well fed.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte Is it possible to summarize your OP for me. Just the thesis part. I just got terribly lost.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Actually there is recently researched and developed a whole plethora of work into converting Co2.

Here is a search of the subject as an example.

www.sciencedaily.com...=0&gsc.q=carbon%20dyoxide%20and%20fuel&gsc.page=1

There are also several threads at S & T.

Keep in mind that Carbon Dioxide is a compound.
edit on 11-2-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

top topics

join