It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone interested in bringing back debate forum

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Where do you sit on

School>college>work>

vs

school>work>college

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: Jonjonj
The old throw down forums...I think the reason they are not around anymore is twofold: Lack of moderators dedicated to the idea; lack of debaters worthy of such moderation.

I would be a spectator. Did you actually see the old debate threads? Damn...it wasn't just I said, you said. Those people went at it mad style.

Best of luck.

That is exactly what I would like to see. It would have been great to see some pre-election debates or even some cabinet choices.

I agree it would have been wonderful to see but think about it for a moment. A moderator in a debate thread has to fact check just to make sure that the debate isn't going off track...the amount of rubbish that can be cited nowadays is not comparable even to 2 years ago, never mind 5 years ago, which is when I think they stopped, maybe even longer.

Unless the rules for the debates changed it seems to be inviable I think, what do you think?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
automated driving good or bad

circumcision (male) yes or no

Or you could have a like hero or villian debate where one person argues the person should be celebrated, the other against it

Such as

Thomas Edison

Mother Theresa

Ronald Reagan

etc.

What about fake news artists, the movers and the shakers....very relevant right now.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Where do you sit on

School>college>work>

vs

school>work>college

I could do college good or bad. I would suggest that the topic be a statement of fact, with one of us arguing for that statement, and the other against it.

Here is why, the topic "College, Is it good or bad" eliminates any middle ground. If worded "Attending a University makes you a better person", that is a much more concise statement.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

The old throw down forums...I think the reason they are not around anymore is twofold: Lack of moderators dedicated to the idea; lack of debaters worthy of such moderation.

I would be a spectator. Did you actually see the old debate threads? Damn...it wasn't just I said, you said. Those people went at it mad style.

Best of luck.

That is exactly what I would like to see. It would have been great to see some pre-election debates or even some cabinet choices.

I agree it would have been wonderful to see but think about it for a moment. A moderator in a debate thread has to fact check just to make sure that the debate isn't going off track...the amount of rubbish that can be cited nowadays is not comparable even to 2 years ago, never mind 5 years ago, which is when I think they stopped, maybe even longer.

Unless the rules for the debates changed it seems to be inviable I think, what do you think?

I trust Grambler enough to fact check anything he sees as out of the norm. That is half the fun isn't it? I will be looking for holes in arguments as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Alright, I could go with or against that.

We should keep it in mind.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Best of luck.

It would be difficult. But here is the thing, it is not the job of the judge to search through all of the evidence cited. The debaters should use evidence to buttress their argument, and the judge should check to make sure the evidence says what the debater says, but not search the evidence for additional; arguments.

For example, I am arguing against GMO's and I cite of piece of evidence thats says GMO's increase heart disease. I should quote the relevant part. The judge then makes sure that quote is taken in context, and thats it. The judge shouldn't read the entire article I posted and take additional arguments from it such as GMO's yield lower crops.

It should be the job of the debaters to fact check each other.

For example, I heard a debate once where a person argued that their opponents argument was wrong because Brazil is a land locked country. The opponent said "Oh I guess you are right" and moved on. Therefore the judge merely took both sides argeement and decided on that.

But to answer your broad point, yeah its a lot of work for the judge too.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

automated driving good or bad

circumcision (male) yes or no

Or you could have a like hero or villian debate where one person argues the person should be celebrated, the other against it

Such as

Thomas Edison

Mother Theresa

Ronald Reagan

etc.

What about fake news artists, the movers and the shakers....very relevant right now.

I would love that debate, but Jin and I were trying to do something not political for starters.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Can we not debate here?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Best of luck.

It would be difficult. But here is the thing, it is not the job of the judge to search through all of the evidence cited. The debaters should use evidence to buttress their argument, and the judge should check to make sure the evidence says what the debater says, but not search the evidence for additional; arguments.

For example, I am arguing against GMO's and I cite of piece of evidence thats says GMO's increase heart disease. I should quote the relevant part. The judge then makes sure that quote is taken in context, and thats it. The judge shouldn't read the entire article I posted and take additional arguments from it such as GMO's yield lower crops.

It should be the job of the debaters to fact check each other.

For example, I heard a debate once where a person argued that their opponents argument was wrong because Brazil is a land locked country. The opponent said "Oh I guess you are right" and moved on. Therefore the judge merely took both sides argeement and decided on that.

But to answer your broad point, yeah its a lot of work for the judge too.

The bold is the point, isn't it? At the end of the day though, the old Debate forum is still there, could you not do it in the old fashioned way and challenge someone to a debate? You must have in mind a specific person, right? If not then a simple thread to allcomers would be the way to go.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Can we not debate here?

As I remember, the old debate forum was locked for the 2 members debating.

Then a Mod would declare a "winner".

I think the topic was then opened to anybody, but I'm not positive.

Guys, u2u a Mod and ask for the forum guidelines.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Can we not debate here?

Sure we could. But the debate forum has specific rules such as post lengths and time frames, and has judges that declare a winner.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Can we not debate here?

Where do I find a list of mods?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

It looks like Hefficide may be the Debate Forum mod

Semperfortis also.
edit on 10-2-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Ooh. I see, sounds interesting. Lots of high calibre people here would be fun.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Can we not debate here?

Where do I find a list of mods?

Front page list of mods

There you go, if you look on the left they are all there.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Ok I sent a message. This issue is it will require a Mod to invest a lot of time to get the forum going I would guess just by looking at the old forum rules. But maybe some of them would consider giving it another try.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

The best of luck, I for one think you would enjoy the forum, and would take advantage of it to debate in a style that is valid. Good luck finding a debate partner though.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

The best of luck, I for one think you would enjoy the forum, and would take advantage of it to debate in a style that is valid. Good luck finding a debate partner though.

Thanks for the kind words. I will tell you this, I have never learned more than by debating positions that I don't agree with. It helps you understand the other side of the issue, and hones your own opinions.

In fact I would love to debate that Trump is bad against someone, preferably a Trump hater that would have to argue he is good.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Anything to stop the avalanche of Political Threads...

Here is one that would be very relevant to the World we live in:

1. Medical Cannabis vs Traditional Pain killers (in all fairness I have a dog in this hunt. My Husband has miserable back pain.)

also another hot topic:

2. SJWs on Campus vs Students on Campus that just want to live the University Experience - which is better for life after college and will add to earnings and the way young people communicate with each other and the Adult World?

Great idea to revamp a thread that appears dead. S&F.

You go guys! Marquess of Queensberry rules amd all that. LOl - Debate away!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join