It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn Baby Burn: Use of fire to style hair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Years ago I had an online gamer friend from Pakistan. It was through text chatting that I first learned about electricity brownouts and blackouts, and he’d often warn me about having to jump off at a specific time so he could power down the electronics.

I tend to take electircity for granted. I want it to be available when convenient to me, instead of me adapting to the convenience of the powergrid. When a storm knocks out power, the first thing I do is check my phone for the projected restoration time. But what if brownouts or rolling blackouts or were part of our daily lives, or our business didn't have electric at all? Would we fire-up the generator and keep going? Would we adapt to earning an income without the convenience of power??

A barber in the Gaza Strip adapted. Since the shop lacks electricity, he devised a creative way to solve the need to do the ‘blow out’ that’s used to coax hair into a desired style. Ingenious.

UPI Feb. 3, 2017 at 12:27 PM: Palestinian barber uses flames to straighten hair

Ramadan Edwan, 37, has adopted the blazing technique instead of using blowdryers, due to the lack of electricity at his salon in the southern Gaza Strip.

I searched to see if it is done elsewhere, and found various stories and vids. Here’s one titled, "Hot Pakistani guy amazing new haircut using fire”

This trend may spread like wild fire.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

The way they are going in Cali, the stylists out there will definitely need this info soon.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That's one of the strangest, yet most interesting haircutting technique that I have ever seen.

Wouldn't want to try it though 😕

Those men also have very thick hair .

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Imagine the odor. Incense anyone?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I remember an episode of the game show 'To Tell The Truth' in the 1960's where the person trying to fool the panel was a hairstylist that used fire to cut hair. After the reveal, he styled Soupy Sales' hair using a cone of burning paper.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I remember an episode of the game show 'To Tell The Truth' in the 1960's where the person trying to fool the panel was a hairstylist that used fire to cut hair. After the reveal, he styled Soupy Sales' hair using a cone of burning paper.

Everything that's old is new again, eh? Soupy Sales ~ now that's a name I haven't heard or thought about in years. I bet he hammed it up with facial expressions and raised eye brows during the demonstration.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

He certainly did. I met him when I was a kid, he was traveling with the Harlem Globe Trotters when I went to one of their exhibitions.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I've seen it done with drunken malice, usually accompianing empty containers of crazy glue, "Light me up" is now a thing?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gription

I've seen it done with drunken malice, usually accompianing empty containers of crazy glue, "Light me up" is now a thing?

That was funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Fire is one of the earliest hair cutting techniques. People are just catching onto this now?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The way they are going in Cali, the stylists out there will definitely need this info soon.

Very old news in Cali.
It does take awhile for the evolution to spread inland.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Hipsters are going to eat this # up. I have other things to say but none of them are nice.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Nothing new,I remember my uncle saying there were barbers who cut hair like that in Mexico,yes all these antiquated technics,making it's way to the mid west and south

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yeah, it's not a new thing by any means, hair history wise and recent trend wise. Gonna have to side with the beauty experts on this one, that it's risky. Even with split end burning, good luck there if interested.
edit on 10-2-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join