It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother taken into custody after decades in U.S.; 7 arrested in Phoenix protest

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

"Things are a lot worse here than the news outlets lead people to believe though."

I kind of imagine that to be the case considering the opinions some people seem to harbor.

What happens through when Mexico refuses to take them back?

Because its not just criminals these deportations will effect, the numbers are rather large, probobly growing daily.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Does not make it any less belligerent especially considering the people involved.

Obviously they are not all rapists, murders or otherwise criminally minded so you cannot tar them all with the same brush(Also came out in reference to people).

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
No lefties here yet?
Bitching about the cold-hearted uncaring conservatives?
Vowing their support for an admitted felon?

I am surprised.

Some of us are just watching how much you all are enjoying this. You must be a real hoot at lynchings. In other countries I hear they cut off hands if you steal something. Tough luck you guys

"She is stronger than I am, when she heard she was going to be taken in, she took a deep breath asked what the next step that would happen and she went into custody."

According to ABC15, Garcia de Rayos was arrested in 2009 for impersonation. She was charged with a felony, but her lawyers say that raid was subsequently ruled unconstitutional.

Her original crime...

"Relevant databases indicate Ms. Garcia De Rayos has a prior felony conviction dating from March 2009 for criminal impersonation," an ICE statement said.
Activists said the woman's conviction stemmed from a false Social Security card she used for employment.

"Lupita has been doing yearly check-ins with ICE and nothing happened," said Lucy Sandoval, an activist who has been working with Garcia de Rayos' family. "But this is a different time."

She was allowed to stay - albeit illegally. She used someone's social security number so she could work - a crime.

Garcia de Rayos prayed before her meeting Wednesday with ICE, Sandoval said. Activists warned her of the possibility of her detention and offered her sanctuary, but she decided to show up, Sandoval said. "She wanted to confront this," the activist said. "She was brave. ... She's a woman of faith. Yes, they were praying. They were hopeful that there would be some consciousness and some heart."

It's good Trump is going to make America all better. I imagine there will be drastic and obvious improvements to all our lives in the next four years

edit on 2/9/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

In an earlier post i stated that she was in US for 8 years, using CNN as a source. I should have known better
She was in the US for 21 years. Too late to edit my earlier post..

So for 21 years her and her husband couldn't be bothered to apply for citizenship. There's No excuse for that.

When the protestors who are illegals hit the streets again over these deportations, I hope ICE is there to round em up and promptly remove them from the country.

edit on 9-2-2017 by EchoesInTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"Things are a lot worse here than the news outlets lead people to believe though."

I kind of imagine that to be the case considering the opinions some people seem to harbor.

Because its not just criminals these deportations will effect, the numbers are rather large, probobly growing daily.

Very good question, I have no idea what happens if Mexico won't take them back, but I would assume they kinda have to since it's their citizen.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Yes, using someone social security number is a very serious crime. I already posted one story, but there are countless stories of peoples ID being stolen and them ending up losing their home, or ending up in jail.

How would you have us view crimes then? Its ok to steal someones property as long as they can go on living?

Where is your compassion for victims of ID theft?
edit on 9-2-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The order was finalized in 2013 under the Obama administration. Trump had nothing to do with this. Obama had a program to deport criminals and everyone knew it. He deported more criminals that most administrations. The lady stole someones identity and you can't pick and choose what laws you enforce or the society becomes lawless.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Does not make it any less belligerent especially considering the people involved.

Obviously they are not all rapists, murders or otherwise criminally minded so you cannot tar them all with the same brush(Also came out in reference to people).

Obviously not, and that point has been made by the same person that said Mexico's worst are rapist, drug dealers, and murderers.

Have you ever had a job where one person's screw ups force the company to enforce new rules? That one person inconveniences everyone else. We can't even have Christmas parties anymore because the last two times we had one, employees would try to steal a bottle of liquor. The owner used to buy cases upon cases of soda and water for everyone, then an employee was taking a case home every week, then a few more started doing it. Now we have to buy our drinks from a vending machine that he bought. You get the point. Over the course of the 10 years I've been here, things went from relaxed with a fantastic atmosphere to strict with 32 cameras and an uptight atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
She committed a felony, stealing someones identity. So although I feel bad for her family, she should be deported.

She should have been deported when she was found guilty in 2013, then her family would have had time to adapt and make decisions by now.

For those who think that she shouldn't be deported because it hurts her family, two questions.

1# Do you shed tears for the person whose identity she stole? What if that person lost their house because of this theft?

2# Shouldn't this argument apply to all crime. "Well you are found guilty of burglary young man, but we can't jail you because it would be creul to remove you from your family".

I am sorry this woman is being punished, but she committed a serious crime and now must face the consequences of her choice.

I agree with you, but I'll take it a step further: what if that person whose identity she stole was even momentarily inconvenienced? That's reason enough for me. Not that citizens don't steal identities also, but I believe any crime perpetrated by a foreign national against a citizen should be a zero tolerance situation.

This is one of those cases I believe civil asset forfeiture should be invoked. Anything the perpetrator owns, since they're not protected by the Constitution, should be transferred to the victim.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
a reply to: xuenchen

The order was finalized in 2013 under the Obama administration. Trump had nothing to do with this. Obama had a program to deport criminals and everyone knew it. He deported more criminals that most administrations. The lady stole someones identity and you can't pick and choose what laws you enforce or the society becomes lawless.

Good Point.

But she was on a continuous "pass" since 2013.

The story insinuates that Trump may have said "enforce it now".

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

originally posted by: butcherguy
No lefties here yet?
Bitching about the cold-hearted uncaring conservatives?
Vowing their support for an admitted felon?

I am surprised.

Some of us are just watching how much you all are enjoying this. You must be a real hoot at lynchings. In other countries I hear they cut off hands if you steal something. Tough luck you guys

A little dramatic, but I've gotta bust your bubble. We wouldn't enjoy lynchings. However, watching the illegal criminals get deported is the first step to making this country great again.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Yes, using someone social security number is a very serious crime. I already posted one story, but there are countless stories of peoples ID being stolen and them ending up losing their home, or ending up in jail.

How would you have us view crimes then? Its ok to steal someones property as long as they can go on living? Whee is your compassion for victims of ID theft?

I saw - very very bad woman. She used a social security number to work. Maybe she destroyed someone's life - but the story doesn't say

For years, immigration authorities gave this Arizona mother a pass. Now she has been deported.

The Phoenix mother was detained for months and eventually ordered to be sent back to Mexico. But for the subsequent years, after she appealed her voluntary deportation, García de Rayos was allowed to remain in the United States, as long as she checked in once a year, and then every six months. Each year, she did so, and each year, immigration officials let her stay.

She was held (6 months) , then released - and permitted to check in yearly. Our government has been giving a kind of down low, back door permission to stay for decades

Not unlike the ham-handed way Trump handled his Muslim ban, this is going to go down about as well

If this is what we are going to do - there is an honorable and humane way to do it. Not like this

Sorry - I won't feel bad about being enraged at this. You and the others go ahead enjoy your retribution. Feel safer. Enjoy your new law and order president

edit on 2/9/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

link   

a reply to: Spiramirabilis

How would you have us view crimes then? Its ok to steal someones property as long as they can go on living?

Where is your compassion for victims of ID theft?

I'm getting the hint that it's only ok to steal another's identity if you're illegal.

link   

the problem i have is how trump shrugged it off almost as if it was because he was forced to throw something nice in there, (i'm paraphrasing here) "i guess some of them are good people." yes there are welfare leeches, drug dealers, criminals coming over we cannot deny that but the vast majority are hard working, decent people fleeing their corrupt, cartel run country.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Very good question, I have no idea what happens if Mexico won't take them back, but I would assume they kinda have to since it's their citizen.

........ She pointed to a 2001 Supreme Court ruling, Zadvydas v. Davis, which said the United States may not indefinitely detain immigrants under deportation orders if their home country won't accept them.

"The Zadvydas decision requires us, even in post-custody, post-(deportation) order situations, to release a person if there's no legitimate basis for believing somebody will be able to be removed. Without a travel document to Haiti, this person would not have been able to be removed," Saldana said.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Sorry - I won't feel bad about being enraged at this. You and the others go ahead enjoy your retribution. Feel safer. Enjoy your new law and order president

Thanks for the permission, I will enjoy my actual law and order president.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is so simple. She was here illegally. In all the years she has been here, she hasn't made one iota of an effort to become a US citizen. Why? Because she is on another illegal track. She stole ID, a felony. She should have been deported right then.

She doesn't want to apply for citizenship because SHE IS A CRIMINAL. Even mothers can be felonious criminals. She needs to be deported. We don't know what she is doing now. For all we know, she may be involved in the sale of illegal documents and other things. I will bet if they really look hard at this woman, they may find out she even voted.

All of this was her choice to make after she became an adult. She chose the path she is on.

We all have feelings and feel sympathy. But we have 11,000,000 to 18,000,000 illegals in our country, and to sort through this mess which so many administrations prior to this one created, we are going to simply have to use the existing laws that we have.

Trump made a promise to the American people. He is going to be the Law and Order President. He is going to abide by our Constitution.

It starts here and now. Period. Illegal? Criminal record? Adios!

The Time has come. We can no longer turn a blind eye.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

the problem i have is how trump shrugged it off almost as if it was because he was forced to throw something nice in there, (i'm paraphrasing here) "i guess some of them are good people." yes there are welfare leeches, drug dealers, criminals coming over we cannot deny that but the vast majority are hard working, decent people fleeing their corrupt, cartel run country.

I can't pity anyone here that didn't come legally. I have a couple friends that are here illegally and one has a criminal background and has changed since those days. He knows his time is limited and has the decency to blame himself for what lies ahead. But I understand your issue. In my opinion, Trump spoke off the cuff a LOT back then and you'd have to be a supporter to know that he didn't mean every illegal that came from Mexico.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

She committed a felony, stealing someones identity. So although I feel bad for her family, she should be deported.

She should have been deported when she was found guilty in 2013, then her family would have had time to adapt and make decisions by now.

For those who think that she shouldn't be deported because it hurts her family, two questions.

1# Do you shed tears for the person whose identity she stole? What if that person lost their house because of this theft?

2# Shouldn't this argument apply to all crime. "Well you are found guilty of burglary young man, but we can't jail you because it would be creul to remove you from your family".

I am sorry this woman is being punished, but she committed a serious crime and now must face the consequences of her choice.

I agree with you, but I'll take it a step further: what if that person whose identity she stole was even momentarily inconvenienced? That's reason enough for me. Not that citizens don't steal identities also, but I believe any crime perpetrated by a foreign national against a citizen should be a zero tolerance situation.

This is one of those cases I believe civil asset forfeiture should be invoked. Anything the perpetrator owns, since they're not protected by the Constitution, should be transferred to the victim.

Of course you are right.

Immigrants are guests in this countries. Illegal ones are uninvited guests, but lets forgte that for a moment.
If I own a house and my kids disrespect me and tear up my house, I would ground them or make them pay for the damage, etc.

If a friend is staying over and destroys my property, I am kicking them out.

Its the same thing with these laws. Unless you are a citizen, you are a guest, and if you committ a crime that is serious against a citizen, then you have lost your privilege to be hear. Now I don't mean something of little significance like loitering or speeding or even like disorderly conduct.

It seems harsh, but the reverse of this is that no matter where you are from, or what your background is, once you go through the legal channels and become a citizen, you are protected EXACTLY the same as the people that have been here longer than you.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
this is the kind of talk that calls for a hitleresque round up of illegals seeing as how there must be millions of illegals using false identity. before you start accusing me of using hitler as a comparison(i try to never do that) when was the last time there was a mass deportation of millions of people, not to mention the cost it would entail? you would have to be far far far right or far far far left to call for that.

i would be on board deportation of violent criminals, immigration reform, but not mass deportation of millions of people.
edit on 9-2-2017 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join