It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public School System Exposed For Reporting Parents To CPS For Homeschooling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Families Sue NYC For Reporting Them To Child Services When They Homeschool

New York City, NY — Homeschooling your child in New York City could earn a visit from Child Protective Services for neglect — even if you’ve followed all procedures required by the public school system to withdraw from its programs.

Tanya Acevedo, as The Federalist reports, experienced firsthand the punitive bureaucracy in place, essentially deeming all homeschooling parents child abusers.

Acevedo withdrew her child from school this winter, filing all necessary paperwork required by the government. But that wasn’t enough to stave off a visit from CPS, who showed up at her residence unannounced to investigate allegations of “educational neglect.”

“After Tanya let them in,” the Federalist explains, “a CPS investigator insisted that they interview her child in private, and inspected their apartment, including a look inside Tanya’s refrigerator — standard practice for a home under investigation for ‘neglect.’ The officer left Tanya with stern instructions to produce documents and her child the next day at the CPS office.”

Acevedo immediately contacted the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), for assistance, hoping to discover where she might have made an error. Well, though she submitted everything required and on time, the school district had not recorded the paperwork accordingly.

The lapse in filing gave school officials the impression that Acevedo had inadvertently removed her child from public schooling and as a result, absences began to accrue. Those “absences” are what eventually triggered the CPS investigation.

An unfortunate accident, right?

WRONG

HSLDA vice president of litigation, Jim Mason, dove into records after being astonished by Acevedo’s case, and, as he puts it,

“What I found appalled me.

“Family after family have found themselves in legal limbo because the central office simply cannot or will not follow the timelines in the regulation. More than one homeschooling family told me they had been turned over to CPS because of the office’s delayed handling of the homeschooling paperwork.

“The injustice against homeschooling families in New York City can no longer be tolerated. On December 5, HSLDA filed a civil rights lawsuit against New York City public schools over their systematic mistreatment of homeschooling families. We are asking for money damages and for a court to order the New York City bureaucracy to simply follow New York’s homeschooling regulation.”

HSLDA found that homeschooling families don’t deal with their own school districts because New York City consolidated all five boroughs and relative information into one office. That single office controls the attendance database (related to homeschooling), for the entire city and routinely loses paperwork due to being understaffed and underfunded.

The fact so many homeschooling families find themselves in Acevedo’s situation — a bloated and self-important government deems itself fitter to educate your kids than you — evinces the New York City system could be set up to derail as many people as possible.

Of course, by creating an onerous process to withdraw children from the government-approved education system adheres to long-held beliefs children taught in the home mature into anti-social, insecure, average achievers — stereotypes proven untrue, if not opposite, in recent years.

As our government grows in size, so does the list of regulations they impose on society. The freedom of choice is now the illusion of choice. Government oversight does not guarantee any child’s safety and only continues to remove the parent’s ability to think and act for themselves. Thankfully, DeVos is a proponent of homeschooling, so I'm anxious to see how she handles situations like this in the future. As a bonus, I leave you with this conservative rag...

Oh the irony! Are leftists seriously threatening to homeschool their kids in protests of Betsy DeVos?

In a tizzy after Betsy DeVos was confirmed as President Trump’s Sec. of Education, liberals on Twitter started considering the merits of homeschooling for the first time.

The irony of invoking the freedom to choose where their kids go to school as a way to protest a pro-school choice Sec. of Education seemed lost on them.

edit on 9-2-2017 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Any adult here who disputes the general idea can take the tests. You're local community college will give you the test for a small fee. If you can read this post you will be astounded.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Public school 'neglects' the kids, the parents that pull them out are trying to save their childrens impressionable young minds.

Dastardly, proves how important indoctrination is to the state.

Screw the system.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Underfunded, yeah right. That's the oldest and lamest con in the book.

When you start invading people's homes and taking away kids you'd better expect some gunfire.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Here is some interesting insight into the world of homeschooling
I was trained for the culture wars in home school

Homeschooling is the perfect environment to become political training camps. It actually scares me that religious fundamentalists are organizing at this level. If liberals are smart it would behoove them to start looking into using these same tactics to keep pace with the bible thumpers. I really don't want to see this country take 2 steps backwards in regards to social equality and civil rights but alas it looks like the damn has sprung a leak and is ready to blow any moment.
edit on 9-2-2017 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

“Family after family have found themselves in legal limbo because the central office simply cannot or will not follow the timelines in the regulation. More than one homeschooling family told me they had been turned over to CPS because of the office’s delayed handling of the homeschooling paperwork.

Incompetence ?

Or maybe on purpose.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

Homeschooling is the perfect environment to become political training camps. It actually scares me that religious fundamentalists are organizing at this level. If liberals are smart it would behoove them to start looking into using these same tactics to keep pace with the bible thumpers. I really don't want to see this country take 2 steps backwards in regards to social equality and civil rights but alas it looks like the damn has sprung a leak and is ready to blow any moment.

Lol, read your link. It was even accompanied by a picture of an ugly blue-hair liberal. Tell me, did you read the article with any less than an agreeable mind?

It's a joke man. They act like Christians are mobilizing and are actively waiting in the bushes with AR's.

Do you even visit the heartland? It's nothing like that at all.

I swear, liberals are some of the most ill-traveled people on the planet.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

www.autostraddle.com...

Shock bombarded and horror filled me as I scrolled through my timeline. I hoped the panic would vanish once the CA votes were counted. It didn’t. Slowly the new reality set in – the one where I wake up horrified and lose more of my basic human rights every day.

I grew up in the far-right evangelical conservative (Christofascist) movement; specifically, I was homeschooled and my parents were part of a subculture called Quiverfull, whose aim is to outbreed everyone for Jesus.

Right. This person, admittedly brought up in a far Right fringe culture, before switching to the Left, isn't biased. She openly admits that Trump being elected "horrified" her and clearly she was hoping for a Clinton win.
And now you claim the Left better start playing catch up, to breed just as many more idiots.
edit on 9-2-2017 by DAVID64 because: forgot to add the link

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The school system in many countries is f#cked,

If you have the means to get your child out and educated one 2 one then bloody well do it, kids on prozac with ever increasing BS standards they need to meet along with a bullying culture that goes unchecked to then punt them out into the real world where that once child is now in their early to mids 20s realises that almost everything they have been taught was horse #e to dumb them down to do a job they hate all whilst every ounce of creative ability has been squeezed out of them..

And mainstream school system has the kahunas to pull this BS stunt, alarm bells should be ringing, or is it the door bell with the state standing their demanding control of your new born???...

RA

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

We're members and have retained an attorney through the HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) where we file and retain records of our child's home-school activities.

We've done nothing wrong, but are fully aware that so many hate the idea of parents teaching their children that they will do anything they can to stop it.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Im hume sculed an I be bigly smarn.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

WTF kind of wide-brush BS is this? I homeschool mine, and I'm not remotely what you're assuming here. Many members on here homeschool, they're not religious fringe by any means. I've only come across ONE Quiverfull-raised person, EVER, and they only had 2 kids. More were not in the works. Some world-conquering religious plan, huh?

You seem to be completely unable to understand that homeschooling is chosen for a wide variety of reasons. I know people who chose it because their child/children have medical issues that need that all-around stable environment (very ill kids, and very allergic kids, this is a massive benefit for them) I know many, many others who homeschool their kids because their kids are bored with the PS curriculum, and acted out because of it. They're immersed in challenging material above their grade level, sometimes by many grades, and are no longer problem children. Others knew their kids well enough to circumvent that entirely by starting out with homeschooling to begin with.

The parents who chose to homeschool because of religious reasons did so because of the financial roadblock for them for private religious schooling. None of these people are religious fringe whackjobs out to hyper-bred their way into ruling the world, FFS.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My grandson was home schooled for several years. Why? Because he was bullied for a speech defect in that school district dedicated to "equality and equity." He went back to the public school for his senior year and guess what? He's a straight-A student who has been accepted into a private college for next year. There was ZERO political motivation to home school him. It was a matter of his own survival. Public school produces zombies who love Big Brother.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The public "school" system suffers from the same problem as the DMV.

Affirmative action.

Getting rid of affirmative action would make it possible to hire employees that are capable (at the very least) of doing the jobs that they were hired to do.

Someone just being able to flap their jaws to their friends and relatives with a cell phone stuck to their face (while they are supposed to be working) is what we are stuck with now because of affirmative action.

We need to stop dumbing down the schools to cater to specific groups as well.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Great post
The people defending the status quo are probably the biggest barrier to the real meaningful changes that need to change .The op is just one of the many markers that something is wrong . The status quo will rush with the band aid and make claims that they have the qualifications and know hoe the system works (LOL) while never admitting that it doesn't work . This thread www.abovetopsecret.com... is only one example of that voice .Missing paper work and understaffed, underfunded excuses the status quo have been telling us all along .

Most of these people are teachers and qualified but are stuck in the same old same old mountain of paper bureaucracy .Hey its the 21st century and there is a IT part they are missing that could fix many if not most of the issues that plague the E-machine . But out of fear of the unknown there will be squeals and tears and a desire to maintain the status quo .

I hope the court case succeeds . Its a hard rap on the fingers but it might make a point that will help bring about real change .think of the kids and the future . eta a little of Gatto candy

edit on 9-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

Lol, read your link. It was even accompanied by a picture of an ugly blue-hair liberal. Tell me, did you read the article with any less than an agreeable mind?

It's a joke man. They act like Christians are mobilizing and are actively waiting in the bushes with AR's.

Do you even visit the heartland? It's nothing like that at all.

I swear, liberals are some of the most ill-traveled people on the planet.

Oh no! If you listen to them, they travel to ALL the right countries ... just not the middle of their own.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Exactly.

We're revisiting the viability of homeschooling.

Ours is very bright but he has a fine motor delay and is super aware of it and it makes him choose all kinds of avoidance techniques in the classroom. The lastest is to simply outright refuse to participate because he can't fail if he doesn't try in the first place.

Did I mention he is also strongly perfectionist?

Needless to say we are all tearing our hair out over this, but we can get him to do work at home. So do we try to figure out how to homeschool until his writing skills catch up with his mind?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

If liberals are smart it would behoove them to start looking into using these same tactics to keep pace with the bible thumpers.

They do. It's called "public school". Many people home school to escape the leftist political indoctrination.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Liberals don't need to home school to indoctrinate the children. Thats what the public schools and universities are for.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

WTF kind of wide-brush BS is this? I homeschool mine, and I'm not remotely what you're assuming here. Many members on here homeschool, they're not religious fringe by any means. I've only come across ONE Quiverfull-raised person, EVER, and they only had 2 kids. More were not in the works. Some world-conquering religious plan, huh?

You seem to be completely unable to understand that homeschooling is chosen for a wide variety of reasons. I know people who chose it because their child/children have medical issues that need that all-around stable environment (very ill kids, and very allergic kids, this is a massive benefit for them) I know many, many others who homeschool their kids because their kids are bored with the PS curriculum, and acted out because of it. They're immersed in challenging material above their grade level, sometimes by many grades, and are no longer problem children. Others knew their kids well enough to circumvent that entirely by starting out with homeschooling to begin with.

The parents who chose to homeschool because of religious reasons did so because of the financial roadblock for them for private religious schooling. None of these people are religious fringe whackjobs out to hyper-bred their way into ruling the world, FFS.

I think you and others misunderstand me, I'm perfectly ok with homeschooling your children. In fact if I had children I would probably home school them myself. The notion that I find troubling is the idea of an entire sub-set of a generation of children with far right conservative evangelical views being groomed for positions of authority. You know kind of like this white supremacists have infiltrated law enforcement

It's actually a smart move and one I think liberals should seek to follow if they want to stay competitive with the right.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join