It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paris to erect bulletproof wall around Eiffel Tower

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
This is becoming the talk of the town over here in France right now :

In the face of the ongoing terrorism threat in France, Paris’s iconic monument, the Eiffel Tower, will undergo a massive facelift to tighten security by next autumn.

Heightened security measures around the capital's "iron lady" were put in place as early as 2012 during the European football championships.

Temporary fences were installed last June, but these rather unattractive barriers will now become permanent with the placement of a 2.5 meter-high bulletproof glass wall, according to French daily Le Parisien.

Linky winky : www.france24.com...

I personally have mixed feelings about this as though I can understand that this will protect visitors from eventual attacks and also alleviate the patrol work that the police and the army are actually doing, this will turn out to be a major eyesore...

Thoughts ATS?

Warmest

Lags

edit on 9-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Phrase changed

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Well, window cleaning businesses will be chomping at the bit for that contract lol

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I think it's sad that it had to come to this point where walls and fences needed in order to protect people and sites from terrorists. Maybe they will be able to build that glass wall in a way it wont be a major eyesore. I dont know

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Just sucks we live in a world where that has to be done.

I'm so glad I lived before a time when any of that was considered necessary.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
So then the 'terrs' will just shoot up the people lined up to get in at the entrance.

Dumb idea.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

I think it's sad that it had to come to this point where walls and fences needed in order to protect people and sites from terrorists. Maybe they will be able to build that glass wall in a way it wont be a major eyesore. I dont know

I saw an artists impression earlier on TV and it didn't look at all discrete... And what a great platform for the graffiti street artists this will make...

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Paris to erect bulletproof wall around Eiffel Tower

Why ? Mexico is no where near them.

In the face of the ongoing terrorism threat in France

What ? Who is making terrorism threats?
edit on 23228America/ChicagoThu, 09 Feb 2017 08:23:25 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

A reactive, rather than proactive approach to terrorism.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Maybe they will be able to build that glass wall in a way it wont be a major eyesore. I don't know

They're using a clear wall for aesthetics, so it doet look like a prison wall. More like a zoo exhibit.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Some wise military generals in the past once said, the only important thing in any wars is the aftermath of it, not the results.

In recent history, for more than 30 years the western countries pounding, killing, destroying and stealing the Middle Eastern nations properties/belonging / future and hope.

Now, everyone is afraid to be targeted to the same adversary..?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Interesting though that this liberal utopia needs walls to keep people safe from terrorists. Maybe here in America we will learn from the left in France? Lol

Interesting, interesting indeed...

I can see it now, men strapped with (insert weapon) running and then WHAM! Right into this thing.

But seriously, why is this needed? What has changed that a WALL is needed to keep people safe?

How many birds are they going to kill by this wall? Don't they care about animals?

/Loads of sarcasm

Graffik

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Sadly the terrorists are winning , even here in Adelaide South Australia barriers have been put up to stop someone driving through the crowd trying to get into Adelaide oval .

edit on 9-2-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

More walls?

They don't work... So we're told.

(post by WUNK22 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

But seriously, why is this needed? What has changed that a WALL is needed to keep people safe?

How many birds are they going to kill by this wall? Don't they care about animals?

/Loads of sarcasm

Graffik

Another reason is that the Tower is a giant ATM machine for the city of Paris and tourist visits are on the decline :

The Iron Lady of Paris was on course for an all-time record last year, before the November 13 terrorist attacks caused a dip in the number of visitors, the landmark’s operator said Tuesday.

The world-famous tower received 6.91 million visitors in 2015, down from 7.1 million the previous year, the Société d’Exploitation de la tour Eiffel (SETE) said in a statement.

"Before the tragic events hit the capital in November, visits were up one percent," it added.

Link : www.france24.com...

Warmest

Lags
edit on 9-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: I meant ATM not ATS... urghhhhhhhh

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

[snipped]

This is about France and the Eiffel tower, can you please abstain from your US political trolling and baiting?

May I suggest that you have a look at the link below and read through every single post... :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you

Lags
edit on 9-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Phrase and link added

edit on Thu Feb 9 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Still not a reason WHY the wall is needed...

The root cause.

Terrorists do bad things > when did this start and why > how are they doing these things > when/how/why did the people enter the country...

Graffik

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The first thing in my mind (not knowing a thing about the area) is that a wall would trap people INside as well. In a calamity, the thing is going to be... a calamity. It *might* make the tower slightly safer, but having a safer tower but normal risks elsewhere is not going to bring people into France where they spend money. If visitors to the tower are down, it's likely tourism all over France is down.

So... I think it's ineffective. They need something different.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Why would they have to build a wall? Is multiculturalism not turning out to be the fantasy sold?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure

Still not a reason WHY the wall is needed...

The root cause.

Terrorists do bad things > when did this start and why > how are they doing these things > when/how/why did the people enter the country...

Graffik

You know very well that there have been numerous terrorist attacks in France...

Google is your friend and you will find pages and pages of information...(just type our Terrorist attacks France) I'm not doing that for you.

Warmest

Lags

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join