It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Cave, an Old Controversy: Dramatic New Discovery in Israel will Re-Ignite Debates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
So I was out putting around on the web and came across this new discovery . I had not seen it on the board but I do miss more then I catch .It is about a new cave found at the Dead Sea .

The last Dead Sea Scrolls cave, linked to the ruins on the marl shelf at the mouth of Wadi Qumran, was discovered in 1956, bringing the total number of caves to eleven — eleven caves containing the famous Dead Sea Scrolls, ceramic jars, and a number of other artifacts. For sixty years archaeologists and looters have been searching for a twelfth cave. Would another one ever be found? Most didn’t think so. This is what makes the announcement from Hebrew University so astounding: A twelfth cave has been discovered!
academic.logos.com...

Have fun . eta

Price and his team made a truly significant discovery. Although the cave that the archaeologist and his team excavated had been looted (and the looters left behind a couple pick-axes), what was unearthed was quite important. Price and has team recovered six jars identical to the jars found in several of the other Qumran caves. These ceramic jars were designed to contain scrolls. The condition of the some of the better-preserved Scrolls strongly supports the widely-held view that the jars were indeed intended for that purpose. Most of these jars are on display in Jerusalem’s Shrine of the Book and in Kando’s famous antiquities shop in Bethlehem. Although there are doubters, most scholars are convinced that these ceramic jars at one time contained many of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

edit on 8-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Not only were six scroll jars recovered (broken), but small fragments of parchment and papyrus, as well as at least one linen used for wrapping scrolls.

woop de do

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

i heard about this... unfortunately no new scrolls have been found

but who knows, IF theres a cave that wasn't found to begin with maybe there will be more

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

The piece talks about a possible 13th so its hard to say for sure right now .

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Nice discovery! It should be interesting to see what data these contain, assuming they are able to be read.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
what`s the story with the scrolls, it`s been 60 years have they translated them yet so we can see what`s in them?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I do believe they can be read . Not sure where to find them but google may be your friend . eta ...here you go www.deadseascrolls.org.il...
edit on 8-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
what`s the story with the scrolls, it`s been 60 years have they translated them yet so we can see what`s in them?

here ya go...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

There is no mention of scrolls and only some fragments of pottery and I think parchment too that will have to go to the lab .
I find it amazing how much info they can tease out of finds this small .But one small fragment can be a very big piece to the larger unanswered questions about the place and time .

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Thats not entirely true...
An unbroken pot was found contaning a scroll which was intact and still fully bound but when inspected was blank...
But was it really?
Why would you do this with a blank scroll?
Perhaps there is information on it that can be revealed... Just a thought...
edit on 9-2-2017 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Could you imagine if the scroll was an original gospel ? Or better yet a set of original NT writings that were copied and the Originals placed there to only be found . Keeping a lid on it might be a understatement until a proper time .

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Could you imagine if the scroll was an original gospel ? Or better yet a set of original NT writings that were copied and the Originals placed there to only be found . Keeping a lid on it might be a understatement until a proper time .

Before this goes TOO much further, the original discovery was of things just like you describe:

some 40% of them are copies of texts from the Hebrew Scriptures, approximately another 30% of them are texts from the Second Temple Period which ultimately were not canonized in the Hebrew Bible, like the Book of Enoch, the Book of Jubilees, the Book of Tobit, the Wisdom of Sirach, Psalms 152–155, etc., and the remaining roughly 30% of them are sectarian manuscripts of previously unknown documents that shed light on the rules and beliefs of a particular group (sect) or groups within greater Judaism, like the Community Rule, the War Scroll, the Pesher on Habakkuk, and The Rule of the Blessing.
wikkpedia article

So
.. material that could have been in the Bible but was edited out
... old copies of Hebrew scriptures
... new stuff

The translations were given to the world as soon as they were available (you originally had to go to scholarly journals and publications for them but they're now available for free everywhere.

The Bible didn't change in any major way, though some of the new translations have used the Dead Sea material to firm up older versions

Religion didn't change because of this

Nobody tried to suppress this

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

There is no mention of scrolls and only some fragments of pottery and I think parchment too that will have to go to the lab .
I find it amazing how much info they can tease out of finds this small .But one small fragment can be a very big piece to the larger unanswered questions about the place and time .

Just the parchment alone could prove informative, though!! I hope they can get some information,a nd yes, truly amazing what t hey can find, with modern methods!! Exciting stuff.

If I'd wanted some lifetime career besides "Mom", archaeologist would have been high on the list.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Yes I understand what the original finds were .Or for the better part . I was merely speculating about a possible 13th cave and imagining that a find of the original NT documents would be insane . The Isaiah DS scroll was a confirmation of the lack of change over the years .Something that was quite important considering just how much the the speculative editing meme was .Thanks for the input

edit on 9-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

material that could have been in the Bible but was edited out
I am a little confused by this statement . ""could have but was ???
edit on 9-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Great find! It goes to show that there are many things still left to be discovered!

A small fragment can truly have staggering effects. I sure would appreciate the discovery of the fragment that fills in the Gospel of Philip blank,... I want to know where Jesus kissed Mary!

edit on 2/10/17 by Sahabi because:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

Now I am not sure but is that gospel considered a Gnostic gospel ?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Yes. It is considered to be Gnostic and apocryphal. It was part of the coptic Nag Hammadi Library, not Qumran. I made mention of it because of the thread discussion about the importance of mere fragments.

In the Gospel of Philip, there is an intriguing sentence with a key fragment missing. It's states that Jesus used to kiss Mary Magdalene on her [missing fragment].

"As for Wisdom who is called "the barren", she is the mother [of the] angels. And the companion of the [...] Mary Magdalene. [... loved] her more than [all] the disciples [and used to] kiss her [often] on her [...]. The rest of [the disciples...] They said to him, "Why do you love her more than all of us?" The Savior answered and said to them, "Why do I not love you like her? When a blind man and one who sees are both together in the darkness, they are no different from one another. When the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind will remain in darkness."

Though a different find, the point was that a single parchment fragment can reveal a world of wealth.

edit on 2/10/17 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Yes I have read analysis on that part of the document but was not overly concerned about it one way or another. I believe it became a small part of a larger narrative that was created .Kind of what Ancient Aliens does but it was a different group then them . eta ...I had looked fo this yesterday to pass it on to you as I found it was such a great read and goes into a detailed investigation surrounding the issue of if Jesus had a wife . Very well written and reads like a mini mystery sleuth novel . www.theatlantic.com... the ending is just so crazy ...enjoy
edit on 10-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Thank you for the article, I'll give it a read now

I'm not looking for the Gospel of Philip to rewrite history, as I personally take the Gnostic texts to be precisely philosophic and allegorical, rather than being literal. The missing fragment, for me, is more of a curiosity, rather than a point to sway, make, or break my beliefs/opinions.

Do you think there is any significance in the number of Qumran caves containing manuscripts, or would the number of caves be arbitrary?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Do you think there is any significance in the number of Qumran caves containing manuscripts, or would the number of caves be arbitrary?
That is probably a million dollar question that is being looked into .The community documents may contain that data .There is research being done on the water system that flowed into the temple and actually worked its way to Qumran .Its hard to say what nuggets of data they are compiling .Last I heard they were a little less then a mile away .The brook or stream has long lost its volume of water and construction has buried parts of it . Possible local documents may also add to the data .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join