It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You best separate yourself!"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Straight to the point - what's with the obsession people have with demanding others "separate themselves" from nutjobs? Why are people so incapable of critical thinking that they can't deal with people on a person to person basis, but have to resort to putting everybody into boxes, then demand that people "separate themselves" from the boxes that they put them in to begin with. This was going to be a comment in another thread, but it annoys me enough that I didn't think it needed to be buried on page 23 of an older thread.

Nutjob goes and shoots up an abortion clinic? People expect anybody who's pro-life, or conservative, or whatever, people expect you to "separate yourself" from him. Why? Why should I have to? Why can't you deal with "me" for "me" since I'm not the guy that shot up an abortion clinic?

Ultra left-wing anarchists show up at a protest and start committing acts of violence and damaging property? By god anybody who's ever had a lefty thought in their brain better damn well "separate themselves" from them. Never mind that you're just not happy about the immigration policy and commented as such on an internet board, you better be sure you tell everybody you think it's wrong to beat people unconscious and then continue to beat them!

(Pause here to berate you, now that you've apologized, for virtue signaling)

I'm just so tired of it, and if this gets one person to pause and think "well no, the member I'm replying to is probably not the guy that beat somebody up at a Milo appearance so I probably shouldn't expect him to defend himself from something he didn't do" then I'll consider it worth it to have posted. I understand the use of the collective "you" when discussing things. What I don't understand is the mentally lazy tactic of lumping an entire group of people together under one banner and then demanding that they defend themselves from it, when you are the one that labelled them that way. Just because a person happens to share a belief with another person doesn't mean they should have to apologize to you every time "the other guy" goes out and does something stupid.

And with that, I'll wish you all a happy Hump Day.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ah, been on the receiving end of that kind of crap before, I'm sure most of us have been. It is kind of disappointing.

I feel your frustration man!

-Alee

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Wow, I never stopped to think about how much I automatically feel obligated to do this. Great thread.

Reminds me also of how every time an Islamic terrorist does something terrible, all the Muslims in the world are criticized for not dropping everything and actively condemning and distancing themselves from that terrorist. It's like "Duh, of course I don't agree with what he did but I'm baking cookies, eff off"

And yes, every ideology seems to be a target of this at some point.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I saw a cop do something* once that wasn't copasetic so you need to distance yourself from him after you denounce the behavior.

*the cop let a certain person off for doing 115 in a 55 after he used a Masonic high sign

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
A mason, a cop and a Muslim walk into a thread...

And they all understand the OP.

A partisan walks in and thinks, bad apple, terrorist sympathiser & not a high enough degree to understand their wildly inferior supposition.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
A mason, a cop and a Muslim walk into a thread...

And they all understand the OP.

A partisan walks in and thinks, bad apple, terrorist sympathiser & not a high enough degree to understand their wildly inferior supposition.

This needs no further punchline, you pretty much nailed it.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more, jack boot.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

edit on 8-2-2017 by Beatnixx1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You cronie!

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
You cronie!

Pinko!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It's strange how philosophies are being warped into derogatory statements. There used to be things called "Conservative Democrats" and "Liberal Republicans" now if you don't check all the boxes for one group you MUST be a member of the other.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Also in my last response i couldnt figure out how to make the quote in the shaded quote box and have my opinion come outside and underneath it. Pretty new here. Anybody can tell me how to do that properly? Thanx

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter
...the boxes for one group you MUST be a member of the other.

I'm gonna put all of you in a box just like you're a bunch of veal.

Except Kali, since she's a wimpy, malnourished vegan, I'll put her in a box like a hunk of wet tofu.

edit on 8-2-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Why can't I be an artichoke, wtf?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Why can't I be an artichoke, wtf?

Makes sense since your commie liberal ways make us all choke.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Beatnixx1414

It can be tricky especially if you're on a phone and have to scroll... but just make sure your text comes after [./.quote] (minus the dots)
edit on 2/8/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I can't believe you don't like artichokes!

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I can't believe you don't like artichokes!

I lurv artichokes, I just don't lurv communists. Unless communists are artichokes, then I lurv them too.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Ultra left-wing anarchists show up at a protest and start committing acts of violence and damaging property? By god anybody who's ever had a lefty thought in their brain better damn well "separate themselves" from them. Never mind that you're just not happy about the immigration policy and commented as such on an internet board, you better be sure you tell everybody you think it's wrong to beat people unconscious and then continue to beat them!

And with that, I'll wish you all a happy Hump Day.

A few words on this if i may. Beating someone is clearly violence, however destruction of property is definitely NOT. We need to support each other in A DIVERSITY OF TACTICS. Some people want to stand around holding signs and some people wanna tear down barricades. They need to support each other instead of condemning each other. Ask yourself what is more violent? Broken windows? Or poverty, the justice system,(police, and jails) or war perpetrated by the state?
I know one thing, power never concedes anything wothout a demand. In other words, you arent going to get what you want by asking nicely, with witty placards or ryhming chants. They just dont work. Support each other in whatever they are comfortable with. Victory requires a multi pronged attack. We gotta stop throwing each other under the bus. The key is, and always will be a layered approach in tactics. Just remember the most effective things are probably illegal.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

edit on 8-2-2017 by Beatnixx1414 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join