It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defense Department seeks space in Trump Tower

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It seems to be complicated like everything else in American Politics. Here is what Snopes said in regards to a rumor about the Clinton's:

www.snopes.com...

It is a standard arrangement that the Secret Service provide payment to homeowners for space used by the agency in such situations. The Clinton's did not take it upon themselves to "charge the Secret Service rent." The amount provided is based on a government formula, not set by the homeowner, and in the Clinton's' case this amount was $1,100. (Note that this figure was not chosen by the Clinton's, and it was well short of their monthly mortgage payment.) Most important, although regulations call for the payment of this amount, the Clinton's did not in fact accept any money from the Secret Service.

So there are rules which say they pay but usually no one accepts the payments and it is short of anything relevant to the actual cost. So it is not out of line with past
edit on 2/8/2017 by DJMSN because: corrections

And here is a story about the former Vice President who apparently did collect rent from the Secret Service:

www.washingtontimes.com...

Since April, Mr. Biden has collected more than $13,000 from the agency charged with protecting him and his family for use of a rental cottage adjacent to the waterfront home he owns in a Wilmington, Del., suburb.

Again, it is rules of the trade so to speak...so yes there is indeed a history of such practices.
edit on 2/8/2017 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Everything tRump is a bad idea

I bet there are Ford, Carrier, IBM, Ale Ba ba, and GM workers who beg to differ with your opinion.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

They certainly should not be paying the man to stay in his building. They are there to do a job pertaining to his defence in the event of a serious incident.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I could ask when was the last time a billionaire with real estate holdings on multiple continents president. Sorry we did not have this issue with the guy whose only job before POTUS was community leader and vote getter of ACORN.

DOD has already released as well as USSS that this has been done in the past. This is just a big deal because it is Trump.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

So who pays for it? Trump? A year will cost less than 2 Michelle Obama solo vacations.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
I believe he already said that any monies he gains from government contracts would be donated to the treasury. As far as a target it already became a target when he won the Presidency and really was a target before that since he was always a symbol of American wealth. The big question is exactly who's cross-hairs will be on the target, world terrorist or leftist terrorist...at this point both sides, not to mention the political right whom really don't like him either are all chomping at the bit to take a swing

While it is true that Trump made a statement regarding transferring hotel profits for foreign visitors to the Treasury...he has not made a statement regarding the rent charged for domestic rentals. CNBC News

The only reason he decided on not accepting the foreign visitors monies, was in response to the outcry of foreign influence. He did this, even though he was not obligated by law, simply to disburse any cause for seeming unethical. I imagine regarding domestic service monies, he will follow past precedence.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: jellyrev

They certainly should not be paying the man to stay in his building. They are there to do a job pertaining to his defence in the event of a serious incident.

Those expenses are already a necessary part of the DOD budget that was disbursed to them by congress. Defense of the President is their job, thus this is not new or surprising.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

a reply to: interupt42

No, the DoD is saying that it had to seek accommodation. It is not saying that for the period of its presence in the Obama household or property, that they paid rent. They are specifically different matters entirely.

So your are basically alluding that Trump built trump tower to one day get the DOD to rent out his place of residence? Eitherwise this is silly.

The fact is that Trump Built and lived in the tower long before he thought about being POTUS, so it shouldn't be a shocker its still remains part of his residence.

Or are you saying Trump should have never built Trump tower or lived there previously before knowing that he was going to run for POTUS and winning?Or move out of his residence for decades?

The DOD states they have done the same thing in the past.
The only difference between Obama and trump is the Trump lives in a high-rise building that he built and owns for decades prior , while Obama lived in a home that was financed by Tony Rezko.

Lets see the companies that get hired to build the wall and then lets talk, but this is just another blown out of proportion political witch hunt.

Also BTW I wouldn't be too surprised if Obama as a gov't official doing official work got some type of gov't tax credits or compensation for having the DOD at or near his own personal property.

edit on 44228America/ChicagoWed, 08 Feb 2017 11:44:49 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I would hope that he follows that same line of thinking and believe he will. I posted a couple of examples of past situations where the Clinton's did not accept payments when Secret Service stayed in their house. I also showed an example where Mr. Biden did accept payment while the Secret Service stayed in a cottage on the grounds of his properties. It is standard procedure and acceptable apparently...not that I agree with it but apparently it is legal.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

To be fair, any one who did get a check may never even known about it. I don't think they open their own mail.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Well that is true, however the subsequent news articles and questions from the press, the furor from both sides or should I say rhetoric would have made them aware. Then again, our Politicians from both sides have their respective heads in the sand most of the time and are so far from reality that they probably are not aware of what goes on in the real world.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

How to guarantee budget allocations, hedge against cutbacks 101.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

a reply to: matafuchs

How many times has a government rented space from its Presidents businesses, to conduct his security operations from?

How many times did they have that option? They could have always chosen a different location if they desired to do so of course.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

a reply to: interupt42

So you are saying that they paid rent to be there?

I would like to see confirmation of the DoDs payments to the Obama family, indicating that. Because seeking accommodations in someones residence does not automatically imply that rent was paid by the DoD, to the Obama's for the use of the space.

What , you think they were sitting in obama's house or something? Of course they had to spend money to be there.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

So who pays for it? Trump? A year will cost less than 2 Michelle Obama solo vacations.

Or michelles 30 assistents.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

so you are saying that if the DoD has to pay rent they should have to be in another building to prevent trump from getting rent?

that space is also likely being denied usage from making a profit if it is occupied.

Are you saying that presidents and their families do not get special accommodations?

We pay for various parts of federal government to go on vacation with previous presidents, how are you drawing the difference between lets saying going to spain and New York?

He takes a wage of $1, he didn't have to. Why would a man who takes that be concerned with money?

Do you know the typical policy of the US government regarding rent?

You seem to know a lot, please elaborate on your knowledge.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I believe he already said that any monies he gains from government contracts would be donated to the treasury. As far as a target it already became a target when he won the Presidency and really was a target before that since he was always a symbol of American wealth. The big question is exactly who's cross-hairs will be on the target, world terrorist or leftist terrorist...at this point both sides, not to mention the political right whom really don't like him either are all chomping at the bit to take a swing

so what if he said that?...how would anyone know unless he released his tax returns?.....did you think your response through, or were you just winging it?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

His personal tax form would not reflect it anyway....that would be a corporate accounts receivable and a tax form would not show it for Trump industries or for any other corporation. Tax forms reflect how much you made, they do not list individual transactions as far as what one was paid....of course you most likely knew that...huh ? Or did you just not think your response through ?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I believe he already said that any monies he gains from government contracts would be donated to the treasury.

How do you actually donate money to the treasury? Is it a charity that accepts donations?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Write a check....the same way that a lot of people pay taxes around this time every year. It is really not that hard although I have seen the way some people write checks and they should really have a class in our high schools that teach it, but you make it payable to the IRS otherwise known as the Internal Revenue Service...not that hard.

they even have a web site on how to do it as apparently more than one person does it. And in my opinion it is the biggest charity of all.

www.fms.treas.gov...

edit on 2/8/2017 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join