It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ELIZABETH WARREN - Only the 2nd Senator in U.S. History To be Barred From Speaking.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Tuesday, February 7, 2017

During Senate Floor statements, ahead of the upcoming final vote to approve/decline Jeff Sessions as the next Attorney General of the United States, Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA.) received a RARE rebuke and punishment from the majority of her Senate colleagues. Elizabeth Warren is certainly living up to her self-proclaimed "Nasty Woman" personality!

Excerpt from: www.foxnews.com...

""Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., was prohibited Tuesday night from speaking on the Senate floor for the rest of the debate over Sen. Jeff Sessions' nomination to be attorney general.

The drama began when Warren, quoting a 30-year-old letter by civil rights leader Coretta Scott King, referred to the Alabama Republican as a "disgrace." King's letter was written in 1986, when Sessions was nominated to the federal bench but was never confirmed. 

King, the widow of Martin Luther King Jr., also wrote that when acting as a federal prosecutor, Sessions used his power to "chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens."

Warren's reference drew the ire of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., who said that Warren had "impugned the motives of our colleague from Alabama."

Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont. advised Warren that she was out of order under Rule XIX of the Senate, which states that "no Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator."

"I'm reading a letter from Coretta Scott King to the Judiciary Committee from 1986 that was admitted into the record," Warren argued. "I'm simply reading what she wrote about what the nomination of Jeff Sessions to be a federal court judge meant and what it would mean in history for her."

After a few parliamentary moves, McConnell called for a vote to affirm Daines' ruling that Warren was out of order. The GOP-controlled Senate backed him up, 49-43, before defeating a Democratic effort to restore Warren's speaking privileges, 50-43.

"She was warned, she was given an explanation," McConnell said of Warren. "Nevertheless, she persisted.""

------------------------------

Anti-American Cable News Network (CNN), takes their usual angle.. portraying Elizabeth Warren as a hero, who will now be an even more "Powerful Force" when it comes to pushing back against President Donald Trump and his agenda.

Headline: "GOP EFFORTS TO SHUT WARREN UP BACKFIRES!"
www.cnn.com...

I think CNN got that "backfires" analogy from their ample experience of shooting themselves in the foot, by constantly slamming Donald Trump.

-CareWeMust

edit on 2/8/2017 by carewemust because: Is Elizabeth Warren the 2020 Dem Nominee?

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont. advised Warren that she was out of order under Rule XIX of the Senate, which states that "no Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator."

Seems somewhat subjective.

I wonder, was King's letter part of the public record? Is citing public record out of order?

(as posted in that other thread)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Great example of democracy you have their when they stop a representative of the people representing their constituents.

and the US wants to bring 'democracy' to A - Z countries.

My oh my. Hope they don't what to bring US democracy to Australia
edit on 8-2-2017 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Even if it was, does it have relevance 30 years later?

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yes.
But that wasn't the issue raised. Was it?

edit on 2/8/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said on the Senate floor.

I suppose that was the issue raised.

Plus, she didn't quote it properly. (if that makes a difference)

www.documentcloud.org.../p1

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   

"Subjective"? Yes. Humans are involved.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   

It is public record and also I believe that rule was not meant to be applied to Presidential nominees.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Says a lot about our current state of affairs when a man who was deemed too racist in 1986 to become a federal judge that even Coretta Scott King wrote a letter admonishing him , is now on the verge of being confirmed as the Attorney General.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

You're right, Azureblue. As Phage said.. it was a SUBJECTIVE determination that Elizabeth Warren was out of order.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I just wonder how anything in the public record can be considered "out of order" if it obviously pertains to the issue at hand.

But then, I am not an attorney.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I don't think it would matter if you were, everything has, seemingly, flown out the window.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Maybe Sessions cleaned up his act, like Governor George Wallace did?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

In these investigations, Mr. Sessions, as U.S. Attorney exhibited an eagerness to bring to trial and convict three leaders of the Perry County Civic League including Albert Turner despite evidence clearly demonstrating their innocence of any wrongdoing. Furthermore, in initiating the case, Mr. Sessions ignored allegations of similar behavior by whites, choosing instead to chill the exercise of the franchise by blacks by his misguided investigation. In fact, Mr. Sessions sought to punish older black civil rights activists, advisors and colleagues of my husband, who had been key figures in the civil rights movement in the 1960s. These were persons who, realizing the potential of the absentee vote among blacks, had learned to use the process within the bounds of legality and had taught others to do the same. The only sin they committed was being too successful in gaining votes

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   

like Governor George Wallace did?

Yeah, well. At least he admitted he had been an asshole. That's something.
Sessions? Not so much.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Alrighty, another martyr.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   

About time someone reel's in this rabid bunch,she of notorious lies,I'm thinking Trump has some of these scumbags on the run,I know how they work,glad to hear it,hope this happens in Calif,to the whole crooked Brown Admin

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

The age of SJW's is over.

+27 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
First of all, it has been proven and admitted that the prior slander of Sessions in 1986 was a political witch hunt and was false information.
This was mentioned in the hearing last night.
It was also mentioned last night that Warren did more than just read the letter. She went on and on, insulting and slandering Sessions. It was said by the President of the Senate last night that what she was saying was lies.
They also discussed and gave concrete legal reasons why Warren violated Rule XIX.

We were watching it live in this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What Warren and Dems are doing now is the same thing they did in 1986.
It is a political witch hunt.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
You know, I used to be a fan of Warren but over the last 8-10 yrs as she has become a more prominent figure on the left, she has become completely unlikeable, loud, rigid and venomous. Shes uncompromising and has gone full-progressive.

Everyone knows you NEVER go full-progressive!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join