It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of ancient earthworks resembling Stonehenge found in Amazon rainforest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Corruptedstructure
Maybe it was a race track

William Stukeley, is that you ?

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mastronaut
a reply to: Byrd

Ye I think they used the very loose meaning, I suspect they referred to wikipedia

There are three related types of Neolithic earthwork that are all sometimes loosely called henges. The essential characteristic of all three types is that they feature a ring bank and ditch, but with the ditch inside the bank rather than outside. Due to the poor defensive utility of an enclosure with an external bank and an internal ditch, henges are not considered to have served a defensive purpose (cf. circular rampart).

Might be. The title sensationalizes the find and sets up expectations of stoneworks. It would have been better to say 'hill forts' because that's what they actually look like.

I've also seen a lot of north american earthworks from the mound cultures which could have been called "henges" under these assumptions. I think that the choice is sensationalistic, but the findings are remarkable.

I think that similar findings could be found in the whole south east asia, both constinental and insular. There is impenetrable forests covering large areas that hosted people for millions of years, I doubt they just lived like apes a millenia ago.

Finally a good article on the pourpose of drones, they don't always have collateral damage
/s

I agree with all of your points. I do think there's more to be found - these cultures often used earthworks to differentiate structures. Most commonly they would build the houses of their chiefs on mounds of dirt and in the Southeast of America they became the burial places for these chiefs as well.

Drones are great little explorers but expensive to lose.
edit on 13-2-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join