It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux On Chromebook Help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Anyone else have Linux on Chromebook using crouton?
Since chrome os updated I have lost the Linux side XFCE side.
I have reset my chrome book and tried to re install using crouton.
Now no matter which distro I pick when I switch from chrome to linux the screen goes black.
If install of linux using crouton has changed I could use some help.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
First thought would be that theres been a firmware update on the bios/graphics controllers and what the setting on the X server are not quite right and may require manual tuning but thats messy for most people who are not used to using command lines and probably using vi or some other text editor.

It can take a while to get it sorted as theres multiple books all with different kit inside them and lets just say low level working out whats changed isn't generally considered fun as i've spent hours trying things to get it to work and a week or so a proper fix is released and you just think that 2-3 days arsing around was for nothing.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
Anyone else have Linux on Chromebook using crouton?
Since chrome os updated I have lost the Linux side XFCE side.
I have reset my chrome book and tried to re install using crouton.
Now no matter which distro I pick when I switch from chrome to linux the screen goes black.
If install of linux using crouton has changed I could use some help.

Should of used a virtual box program. Then loaded any version of linux you wanted. It still has the chrome os as a primary and will always load into the primary but one click on an icon and your running linux. Its basically a sand box and even if linux crashes you can just boot it from an earlier date or just reinstall the os on whatever virtual machine software you have.

I would factory reboot the os for chromebook then do what i said because it sounds like at this point your data is screwed anyway.

techblog.jeppson.org/2015/11/install-virtualbox-on-a-chromebook/

edit on 4-2-2017 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-2-2017 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

OP - super curious, probs none of my business, so don't feel obliged to answer, but what is the reason you are going after a bare metal Linux install over a visualized environment?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

Yeah its long gone at this point and I have lost what was on the linux side.

I have run versions of linux on other laptops but those ended up bricked because mechanical problems power supply on one dead HD on another.

I got A chromebook about a year ago and put linux on it using cruton and following this tutorial.
LifeHacker
It is apparent that this tutorial is now out of date.

It was smooth sailing for a while I would use the chrome side for surfing the web and linux side for image video and audio editing.
That is until I updated the chrome OS that is what must have screwed things up and gave me the black screen on the linux side. I didn't know what was going on at first so using the old Lifehacker Instructions I tried a reset to factory and a reinstall of linux allways giving me black screens when I ran XFCE from shell.
Apparently other have encountered a similar problem and there are fixes but they are a lot more messy then the nice easy tutorial. I was wondering if others had Chromebooks and had similar issues and solutions.

If you can run Virtual Box in Chrome which I didn't know was a possible especially a year ago.
Then I will have to look into that as an alternative.

I have also thought about just Doing a full install of Gallium OS which is a linux distro made for chromebooks specifically.
Though I like being able to switch between chrome and xfce.
edit on 5-2-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: w00kie
a reply to: SolAquarius

OP - super curious, probs none of my business, so don't feel obliged to answer, but what is the reason you are going after a bare metal Linux install over a visualized environment?

Xfce is recommended over Ubuntu when using the crouton to install since it does not burden a chromebooks resources as much as say ubuntu.

I would use the chrome side for surfing the web and the linux side for audio video and image editing.

top topics

join