It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever worked 3rd shift?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I work graveyard about six months out of the year every year . The hardest thing for me to adjust to is my appetite, its hard for me to get used to eating in the middle of the night. So I tend to lose weight while im on nights. Try to develop a routine in the morning at bed time and stick with it, one shot of rum helps me sleep thru the day

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

22 years...3 - 12 hour shifts on and 4 off...Next week 4 - 12 hour shifts and 3 nights off...As a result, the nights off I would still be up all night...I couldn't sleep when I got home from work even tho I was tired...Would go to bed in the afternoon and wake up just before time to go to work...

No problem staying awake at work as long as I stayed busy, or had someone to talk to...Sit down for a bit and I was out...I could get away with that in my position...Still, preferred it to the back biting and politics on the day shift...

Millions of people work the shift...If you accept it you'll be fine...

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Looks like you've gotten plenty of advice but I'll kick in my 2 cents.

Been working overnights, 12+ hours a day 5-6 days a week for about 10 years. Best advice to give is to keep your schedule on the weekends, even if it's just a nap during the day and let your friends and family know that middle of the day is a bad time to reach you.

I even had to let my mother know that I wouldn't dare show up at her house at 2am unless it was an emergency and to please allow me the same courtesy. Some can't grasp the fact that your who schedule is different.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I've worked 3rd ( 8pm to 6am ) for the past 5 and a half years. I'm naturally a night-owl, and it suits me fine. If I were to hit the lotto tomorrow and never had to work again, I'd still be up til 4am or so naturally.

It's not for everyone though. You'll figure out pretty quick if you can stay on it or not.

As others have suggested, vitamin D, an eye mask/blackout curtains, and white noise help.

A healthy exercise regimen and hydration should be added to the list as well.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I love 3rd shift. Quiet, alone time kinda..Gets sketchy around midway a bit...But then kicks back in the 2nd half.

You're like me sleep wise..You'll prob nap out during your day....And try to catch a few ZZZZ for a couple before work next day.

You'll get into a routine....And have daytime's still around the house awake!

Good luck TST!

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Did it for years and loved it.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I worked in healthcare on third shift for almost two decades and I loved it. The best nursing crews in emergency medicine are the night owls. I am an artisan now, but I still do most of my work at night...it's quiet and calm, and for some reason conducive to more creative energy and expression. I don't think I could be happy working a day job for long. Hope you enjoy it!

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
ive only been at this a week and i have to say it sucks.
im having a hard time sleeping during the day so i have been about 2 days awake and then 6 hours or so sleeping. i am just now starting to feel ok but i have to go in tonight so i will get all messed up again.
i think another reason i hate it so much is it is so boring.

this is the easiest money i have ever made in my life. by far. during an 8 hour shift i might actually work for about 45 minutes...it makes for a long night.

all i am doing is inspecting welds. right type of welds. right amount. in the right place. then i sign off.
i check their 1st piece and last piece.
on 1st shift there are a lot of guys in the weld department but on 3rd there is only 4 guys.

my bosses told me i would have a lot of time to watch movies or whatever but i didnt know they meant this much.

i read a lot so i have been able to put some hours in doing that but when i am tired at 3 in the morning i really dont feel like reading.
also i am not the type that enjoys just sitting around. i like to be busy. i have no problem going full speed for 8 or 12 hours. no problem. i have a major problem going at 2% speed for 45 minutes then sitting.

the guy that was on 3rd wants to get back to it because he likes sitting around. i need to get back on 1st or i am going to go crazy.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It sucks if you're a light sleeper.

I did 12-8 for a while.

Sleeping was hard, lawnmowers, ppl doing all sorts of pounding and banging from all sorts of directions you'd never notice unless you were trying to sleep and were already deprived of sleep.

If you got a secure compound to sleep in then its not that bad.

A room with no windows preferably.

Darkness is rejuvination.

PS: if you feel nauseous from being awake, trying eating a snack, I can do that to extend how long I needed to stay awake and not feel like a bowl of vomit.
edit on 12-2-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

PSPS: Get like some mobile games that you like, I got Final Fantasy VI on my phone. YMMV.
edit on 12-2-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

my problem is i have prostate issues so when i go to lay down the frequent urination starts. i am going to the urologist on thurs. been taking flowmax, oxybutinin, and recently started saw palmetto.
since going on 3rd i have cut out all coffee and soda.
ive also always had trouble with racing thoughts so when i lay down my brain just starts going.

last week i read a lot and did a lot of crosswords. been catching up on my jazz as well.

i just got the netflix app on my phone so tonight i will probably watch some stuff.
it makes for a long night but i have to pass the time somehow

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Hey TST get used to getting mince and potatoes for breakfast , i loved the night shifts in the oil yards , it was quieter so i could work like a nutter which i love , if you are not going home tired you were not working , so they put me in the store because i was doing to much work

I would open the hatch and hand out grinders etc for the first hour of a 12 hour shift then read a book basically till the last hour 7 days a week ,sometimes for months without a day off my record was 93 days straight .

I was getting paid hundreds a week to read
and i sleep like a baby during the day as i am a night owl and hermit by heart but i struggle to sleep at night .

The only thing to watch is getting enough sleep as sometimes my body clock will let my off with only sleeping for a hour or less a day for weeks on end and by the time work awaits you are ready for bed

Enjoy

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
i keep telling myself i am getting paid to read books.
that would be awesome if i was able to sleep.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i keep telling myself i am getting paid to read books.
that would be awesome if i was able to sleep.

en.wikipedia.org...

Works like magic with me

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join