It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Affirmitive action in Horse Racing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Seems most of you are against it then and quite a few female jockeys too.

I get that, though on my defence, as a punter, I was quite looking forward to being able to back great horses, with female jockeys getting an extra 4lb off their handicaps.

I do think at the top level there's no difference, but the Tuesday evening races at Musselburgh where the lower order jockeys tend to get their rides might well benefit from this rule.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have a little knowledge, though in a different horse activity. Women, by there body structure, have a different center of gravity. Not sure where this comes in where racing is concerned, but my wife has ridden for 50 years. The ladies do much better barrel racing.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There could be tons of reasons why women didn't do debate. My personal feeling was, its just a game.

When I first got into college, I was a drink. I loved beer pong, bar trivia, debate, Call of Duty, etc.

Most of the girls I knew liked recreation time too, but they were focused on things like grades, graduating

So maybe the women were just a little more mature, and didn't want to waste their time with a game that wasn't going to help secure them a job or education.

However, the debate community is so arrogant that they feel they are the end all be all of education and greatness, and feel everyone else should feel the same way. So there HAD to be more of a reason for women not to denbate than it was just not that important.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: ketsuko

There could be tons of reasons why women didn't do debate. My personal feeling was, its just a game.

When I first got into college, I was a drink. I loved beer pong, bar trivia, debate, Call of Duty, etc.

Most of the girls I knew liked recreation time too, but they were focused on things like grades, graduating

So maybe the women were just a little more mature, and didn't want to waste their time with a game that wasn't going to help secure them a job or education.

However, the debate community is so arrogant that they feel they are the end all be all of education and greatness, and feel everyone else should feel the same way. So there HAD to be more of a reason for women not to denbate than it was just not that important.

I didn't debate at the collegiate level, but at the HS level, I had a female partner all three years, but yes she was one of the few. Outside of debate, I did Extemp and Radio, and she did Humorous Interp, we were quite the pair.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I did do debate in high school. Not all four years, but for the first two.

I noticed that when we debated teams with girls a lot of arguments were more emotionally centered and the cross-ex times got a lot more ... passionate. A lot of times, there ended being someone screaming "Yes or no!" at me when I was trying to answer a question.

The ones who were really good were the dispassionate logical ones who had minds who could turn on a dime. I wasn't quite on that level, so I stopped doing debate after a couple years. I might have been decent if I had cared to study the briefs more, but it wasn't something I cared enough to put the time in on.

I was too much of jock for that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join