It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

comprehensive study into marijuana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
A new comprehensive marijuana study has been released.
You judge for yourself

www.news.com.au

World’s most comprehensive study into marijuana delivers controversial findings

February 4, 2017 3:52pm

WHILE the recreational use of marijuana is becoming slowly legalised across the globe, the drug is still largely considered to have diminishing results on mental and physical health.

But how much of this view is based on fact and how much is derived from weed-fearing propaganda from days gone?

To try to answer that question, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine recently completed the world’s most comprehensive study into marijuana, which examined more than 10,000 scientific abstracts dating back to 1999.

“This report summarises the current state of evidence regarding what is known about the health impacts of cannabis and cannabis-derived products, including effects related to therapeutic uses of cannabis and potential health risks related to certain cancers, diseases, mental health disorders, and injuries,” the report read.

DOES WEED CAUSE CANCER?

The report said that smoking cannabis on a regular basis is associated with chronic cough and phlegm production, but says quitting smoking or ingesting the drug orally will likely reduce these symptoms.

“The evidence suggests that smoking cannabis does not increase the risk for certain cancers (i.e., lung, head, and neck) in adults,” the report read.

“There is modest evidence that cannabis use is associated with one subtype of testicular cancer.

“There is minimal evidence that parental cannabis use during pregnancy is associated with greater cancer risk in offspring.

“Smoking cannabis on a regular basis is associated with chronic cough and phlegm production.

“It is unclear whether cannabis use is associated with COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease], asthma, or worsened lung function.”

edit on 4-2-2017 by acrux because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Feb 4 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Sat Feb 4 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sat Feb 4 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Sorry about link.

Copy and paste link into new page to view.

Just remove " from both ends.

For some reason when I tried to paste link without doing this it would not display link properly and would say link error.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: acrux

We don't need trials, the plant has been around for quite some time. It's the one drug no one ha ever died from....nuf said.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Funny how all he medical benefits of happy weed are being 'discovered' only now that they have to legalise street drugs before they can trot out the cashless society.

step 1 'discover' the benefits of happy weed
step 2 -leagelise happy weed
step 3 - slowly integrate the cashless society.

Gotcha by the short and curleys.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
In my state medical marijuana is illegal and there are so many restrictions on hemp via liscencing its not worth it,low thc cannibis can also produce rope,clothes,food,paper,textiles,plastics,insulation and biofuel...ALL uses of this plant should be made legal.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   
The innumerable testimonials from cancer patients, the terminally ill, and plethora of other people with chronic pain -- pretty much speaks for itself. It clearly is medically beneficial, period. Side-effects: laughter ?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   

All pretty funny now,but when I was growing up in 60's I was told smoking it would cause males to develop breast's,outbreak's with acne,and pretty much any unknown ailment was attributed to it,plus the lame movies they showed us in school,all those did was make some want to try it even more lol,and a lot of parents probably had some stashed too,

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Exactly.

edit on 4/2/2017 by scubagravy because: cause 'im an idiot.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I couldn't find a link that worked in your post. You also did not name the study nor who conducted it.

Here is a link to the National Academies Report on Health Effects of Cannabis which was released this past week, it is very positive.

www.clinicalpainadvisor.com... Clinical_pain_update_DMD&cpn=CL10880970r1&hmSubId=&hmEmail=&NID=1427269703&dl=0&spMailingID=16445111&spUserID=MzM2OTU3NjU1OTU2S0&spJobID=942471910&spR eportId=OTQyNDcxOTEwS0

"Recommendations 2 to 4 call for action by state, national, and federal agencies that include the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the US Department of Health and Human Services.
The report concludes “This is a pivotal time in the world of cannabis policy and research. Shifting public sentiment, conflicting and impeded scientific research, and legislative battles have fueled the debate about what, if any, harms or benefits can be attributed to the use of cannabis or its derivatives. This report provides a broad set of evidence-based research conclusions on the health effects of cannabis and cannabinoids and puts forth recommendations to help advance the research field and better inform public health decisions.”

edit on 4-2-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

I was told that pot users would become impotent.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

The report seems to, and could be,or may be more or less then likely , to inform us about anything definitive about pot other then a broad range of people in our society use it .Its not a pro or con but seems to land in the political sweet spot .A win win for a large segment of the population . imo .

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
MJ is an anti-parasitic when ingested in refined forms , raw ,or cooked,the single biggest killer of human beings in history is PARASITES....our MORTAL ENEMY is the parasite....they are a root cause of all sickness and disease....the combustion does not provide the anti-parasitic impacts ingestion does.

MJ was never a gateway drug as TPTB claimed....it did not addict you and draw you to bigger badder addictions.....however the contrived criminality of it drove over 50% of the general population into dealing with the criminal black market element which DID BUILD A DIRECT CONDUIT TO HARMFULL ADDICTIVE HARD DRUGS....which this MASSIVE VOLUME OF PEOPLE would NEVER HAVE ENCOUNTERED had TPTB not artificially kept MJ criminalised thereby maintaining the conduit connection to the underworld and hard addictive drugs.

De-criminalising MJ breaks this cycle of association and saves our kids from connecting to the people indirectly working for TPTB pushing hard addictive drugs....and as we are seeing it allows for more open and accepted research on long known medical benefits to finally be peer aknowledged and accepted.
edit on 4-2-2017 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Whether you use or not, this is an incredibly useful plant.

BENEFITS

Relaxation is always great.

Medicinal goes without saying.

Industrial uses are many and varied.

Environmental for it stops the need to chop down so many trees.

Overall the suppression of approximately the last 80 years of this plant, is idiocy of a mind boggling scale.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

All pretty funny now,but when I was growing up in 60's I was told smoking it would cause males to develop breast's,outbreak's with acne,and pretty much any unknown ailment was attributed to it,plus the lame movies they showed us in school,all those did was make some want to try it even more lol,and a lot of parents probably had some stashed too,

I grew up in 60s and 70s and got to see the effects of weed use on many folks close up and personal over a good span of time. And yes long term strong weed use does have negative effects on the mind and motivational centers of about half of its users. Some of the cases I have been watching for years, users of strong strains of weed from their 20s on are given to assorted mental glitching (LOL) at this point if they didn't have symptoms much sooner in their association with weed. All I can say to folks that support weed without question......where have you been and what are you talking about!
edit on 4-2-2017 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Problem is, the plant isn't as bad as alcohol.
That in itself should be enough to legalize it across the USA.
But, when money gets involved, like most things in this nation, it ruins any chance of a fair debate or argument. Facts get tossed aside and rhetoric becomes the norm. Usually spurred on by lobbyists and paid-scientists. Typical of most studies about the plant, it is never allowed to be fully studied in nations where it is illegal.

So how are they ever going to find out the truth?

Well, if finding out the truth means the paper industry, the oil industry, the shoes and clothing industry, the cotton industry, the medicine industry, and the alcohol industry will lose trillions in profits...

We may never get the truth.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

We are discussing it because we now have the truth...contrast is evidence of content.

We now can finish the equation....content+contrast=change.

The Global marketplace is UNCHARTED with 6 billion+ people so those making trillions would make more trillions so there is a darker more sinister population control agenda in play IMHO, the only thing stopping many countries from using MJ on an Industrial basis was existing treaties with TPTB Countries agreeing to criminalise MJ.In those Countries where MJ was being industrialised TPTB paid money to gangs to make sure it was more profitable to sell it a a smokable product on the blackmarket,in other countries leadership was deposed when this threat to TPTBs money chain showed itself.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
a reply to: Oldtimer2

I was told that pot users would become impotent.

They become far more potent

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Its a muscle relaxant, prostate included.

I've done virtually nothing but research Cannabis for the past 18 years. I dont see whats so difficult in finding the answers we already have.

PS Krill oil kills the munchies. Somone create a cool enough looking rebranding, and you could make a killing off MunchieStop pills.

top topics

join