It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-15 upgrade mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This was sent to me today by someone I know. The photo was taken at Nellis of one of the OT F-15s taking off.

The mystery is on the back of the right intake. We thought it might be related to EPAWSS, but the F-15 SA, that has EPAWSS doesn't have the same thing. Our next thought is that it's related to a communications system.

Any ideas?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It's a tracking device left by Ob...

I wouldn't think that would be a great place to hang a comms device really. Maybe a monitoring device for something where it needs to bleed some heat? Unless that is the system and not the antenna for the comms, but in that case it is a pretty big package. It looks about the size of a steamer trunk or so.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's one of those roof top carriers they must be going on an extended mission. Or something much more complicated.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It is hard to tell, but is that a screen on top of the device and not a solid piece?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Flipper35

It looks like fiberglass or composite to allow something to see through it.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I can't see the picture at work, but could it be something to do with working on communication with the F-35?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviB

I'm thinking either Talon HATE or MAPS. They're supposed to be increasing funding for MAPS this year, and should be close to at least a prototype.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I wonder, is it placed there because of the intake runner or because they don't want it on the wing? The big airbrake precludes putting it on the centerline on top. Satcomms?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flipper35

Yeah, that's our current theory. It's pretty big for a SATCOM antenna though.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This pic from Janes of the Talon HATE agrees.

www.janes.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Its a prototype? and thus just needs a bit of air time and the f-15 is a cheap way to get it up an initial test to prove a principle as if it works you can always sort the details later.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Talon HATE is a stepping stone. They built 4 pods to test. The main system is carried on the centerline station. They're going to use the information gathered from Talon HATE to develop MAPS, which will be the final system.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Interesting. Looks like the Talon HATE, like Flipper35 has identified, but the location is still ponderous. Why not centerline? Why not more aerodynamic? It it's a DL system, why prioritize the upper transmit/receive locations?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

The pod itself integrated an IRST sensor and is carried underneath, where the third external tank used to go.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flipper35
This pic from Janes of the Talon HATE agrees.

www.janes.com...

I saw that as well and was just going to post it, good catch.

It is definitely the same fairing but a different Bird in both pictures.

edit on 3-2-2017 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

MAPS

Why is it squarish and outboard on top of the aircraft?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Oops, DP
edit on 3-2-2017 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

With the pod underneath they can't transmit 360 degrees. So they put what's essentially a relay on top to transmit to aircraft blocked by the airframe.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

There really isn't a place on the centerline because of that other huge surface they call an airbrake on top and they use it top and bottom for all aspect communications capability. At least that is how I take it.
edit on 3-2-2017 by Flipper35 because: Zaph beat me to it.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Do mechanics ever leave their tool bags on top of an aircraft? or the pilots groceries???

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join