It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems Say Raising Voter Fraud Penalty Is “Mean Spirited” and “Voter Intimidation”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
16,000 people voted on an affidavit system, and there was no followup.
The dems seem to think that this does not present any problem, and that tougher penalties are 'mean spirited'.
If someone votes fraudulently, lock em up.
A slap on the wrist is not the answer, no one votes twice or votes fraudulently by accident.
Whats the big problem? Do we not wish to live in a society based on law and order?
What purpose does letting criminals and non citizens vote with little fear of penalty serve?

After a federal court stuck down North Dakota’s voter ID law last year the state was forced to go back to an old system of letting people without valid ID’s cast their ballots using affidavits attesting to their identity.

“We don’t have a voter fraud problem in North Dakota,” Rep. Mary Schneider, a Democrat from Fargo, said during the floor debate. “We have never had a voter fraud problem.” She went on to say that raising the penalty for voter fraud to a felony is “mean spirited” and “voter intimidation.”

Link to video and article
edit on 3-2-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Are laws against murder 'mean spirited'? I mean it is easy to avoid murdering someone and frankly even easier to avoid voting fraudulently. The only concern of Dems is losing their illegal votes.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
How would tough voter fraud penalties intimidate voters unless you were somehow committing fraud?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
These people are nuts...

the only people it would intimidate are people planning on Fraud... what exactly is wrong with that?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
First I've heard of anyone suggesting increasing the penalty, but it's a GREAT idea. Most of our problems come from lax enforcement on crime.

Want to reduce gun crimes? 20 year mandatory sentence for using or possessing a gun not registered to you. Most gang shootings happen with stolen guns. Why wait until they've pulled the trigger.

Want to get rid of voter fraud? 10 year mandatory sentence for citizens, immediate deportation for illegals.

I'll never be able to understand why so many oppose law and order these days. Tougher mandatory sentences would take a big chunk out of the current crime rates.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Dems Say Raising Voter Fraud Penalty Is “Mean Spirited” and “Voter Intimidation”

Could anyone here manage to utter those words without knowing they would be admitting guilt ?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You can't be equating voter fraud with murder.
You're not are you?

Forget penalties for the moment.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Metallicus

You can't be equating voter fraud with murder.
You're not are you?

Forget penalties for the moment.

You vote fraudulently, you go to jail, yes, with the murderers.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

How is it voter intimidation?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

You'll have to get a Democrat to explain that one because myself, I just can't see how it could be voter intimidation.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

You'll have to get a Democrat to explain that one because myself, I just can't see how it could be voter intimidation.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Now if they said "Voter Freud", I'd agree. Can you imagine Freud pulling a Lazarus and then all of a sudden voting? In an American election even though he's Austrian?

If you can't, that's because you're not a Democrat.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Trump has filed his papers to run in 2020.
Gerrymander your way to victory, gonna be a long time before we see another Democratic leader.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

That's not what I asked. I asked if he was equating voter fraud with murder. Do you know what equate means? Obviously not.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
To point out the obvious is often often to call it into question.
Murder and voter fraud should both be felony offences imho.
Dems see it differently I guess, we can agree to disagree.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Murder and voter fraud should both be felony offences imho.

Voter fraud is a federal felony.

Kimberly Prude of Wisconsin spent more than a year in jail after being convicted of voting while on probation, which she attributes to her confusion over her eligibility.
www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 2/4/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Huh.
Seems Trump is somewhat of a crybaby. Even though he won, he didn't win enough. So, they cheated!

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Voter fraud is a federal felony.

You sure about that?
Everywhere?
In all cases?
I thought it was otherwise.
edit on 4-2-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   
thf..._media.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/pdf/VoterFraudCases-8-7-15-Merged.pdf

CONVICTED: 2014
Ineligible Voting
Mayra Alejandra Lopez Morales pleaded guilty to an aggravated
misdemeanor charge for registering and voting as a non-U.S. citizen
in the 2012 election. She received a deferred judgment with two
years of probation and a $750 fine.

50 hits for 'misdemeanour' in that document, not sure how many are relevant at the federal level.

<<   2 >>

join