It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What old testament laws...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   
So been reading the many many threads around here and it behooves me the amount of people who dont know the difference between the Old Testament and the New
How many people think that the Jewish, the laws of Moses apply to christians

Yes we are a dumb lot (christians) and the laws of the old testament and new.... tend to become clouded, for us christians at least?
How do you distinguish them, whats christian, whats Jewish, what we must do and what we can ignore.
What old testament laws do you as a christian believe you are underand why do you believe you are under Moses laws, given we have a new covenant with Christ

If you are a non christian please feel free to comment, please dont think you will find an answer outside of the bible, this is a religions forum after all

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I agree,
the 10 commandments is old testament we don` have to deal with that crap anymore.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

This wasn't inspired by my Abortion Penalty thread, was it? Cuz then it would behoove me to address the issue you at hand.

The OT Law was designed to reveal man's inadequacy compared to God's standards. We are not under the OT Law today, but we can still learn from it.
edit on 3-2-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
"But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit" - Romans ch7 v6
So we are no longer subject to ANY of the Old Testament laws, as Old Testament laws. We are guided by the Holy Spirit instead. When we avoid things forbidden in the ten commandments, like murder and theft, it is because the Holy Spirit tells us to avoid them, not because Moses tells us to avoid them.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Not sure you understand the meaning of the word 'behoove'. It would behoove you to find out.. I think you meant baffles.. a reply to: Raggedyman

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: HooJoo89
Not sure you understand the meaning of the word 'behoove'. It would behoove you to find out.. I think you meant baffles.. a reply to: Raggedyman

Baffled I got behoove confused, illiterate monkey I tend to be at times
I shall endeavor to not fail the English language again

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

It was inspired by many threadfs to be precise, that one as well.

We are under Christs new covenant based on love. Not based on Judaism and Moses laws

Why do people, christian and non, always bring up Jewish laws when addressing christians as if we are bound to Old Testament Law
Corinthians 10
23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

We are not under the law, we are under the love of Christ. We avoid sin, simply because we love Jesus, not because we will be condemned by the law.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

We are not under the OT Law today, but we can still learn from it

Yeah that Jehova is the Demiurge and Christianity is Paulism...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

that`s right because when you die you only take 2 things with you, love and hate, when you love your fellow man you automatically are abiding by the 10 commandments,because love does not murder or lie or steal..etc and when you hate you automatically are in disobedience to the 10 commandments.

if love is the motivating factor for everything you do then you will never do any wrong.

edit on 3-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: DISRAELI

that`s right because when you die you only take 2 things with you, love and hate, when you love your fellow man you automatically are abiding by the 10 commandments,because love does not murder or lie or steal..etc and when you hate you automatically are in disobedience to the 10 commandments.

if love is the motivating factor for everything you do then you will never do any wrong.

Awesome
I dont know how many christians on this forum dont understand that simple message, who are still obeying some OT laws
Its just so simple

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
What old testament laws do you as a christian believe you are underand why do you believe you are under Moses laws, given we have a new covenant with Christ

If you are a non christian please feel free to comment, please dont think you will find an answer outside of the bible, this is a religions forum after all

No Xtian, as defined by Jesus, need have anything to do with the Bible/Old Testament!
Most often it is used, FAITHLESSLY, to justify one's intellectual 'relationship' with Jesus.
If one were the unconditional Love by which Jesus said that his followers can be determined, one has/is Faith, and need not make excuses for their 'Faith'.
One only need excuses/justification for 'beliefs', not Faith.
One needn't twist and interpret and stretch meanings of the OT to justify unconditional Love!
"As I Am, so can you be!"

No Xtian, as Jesus defined them, needs anything from the OT!
ALL 'rules' and 'rituals' are fulfilled/transcended in Love!

The OT was for the Jews.
Until the NT.

edit on 3-2-2017 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Is the Old Testament like Star Wars 1,2 and 3 from the 70's and 80's and the New Testament is 4,5 and 6 ?

A revival of sorts for the believers that may have forgotten ?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I don`t even consider myself a Christian because I`ve never been to a Christian church that puts love above all the rules, laws, ceremonies etc that they think the bible wants them to do. even jesus himself said it of the 3 , hope, faith and love only love endures. it seems obvious that what he said was that when you die the only one of those 3 things that you will take with you is love.

you don`t take nothing physical with you when you die, you take your thoughts and feelings with you,and all of your thoughts and feelings are based on and motivated by two things love or hate.

edit on 3-2-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

New wine for new wine skins. For me a New Way came.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   

then why are 21st century christians so obsessed with the 10 commandments ?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

then why are 21st century christians so obsessed with the 10 commandments ?

I don't know, that was my question to those that are
That was the point of the thread, to find an answer to your question

Why are so many atheists so keen to bridal christians with Moses's laws from the Old Testament?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Christ fulfilled the Law, he did not destroy it. So we study and cite the OT law to each other as Christians in an attempt to learn spiritual principle from them. That isn't to say that we are bound by those laws.

Some people just try to ensnare Christians into legalistic traps, rather than taking the time to exegete the spiritual principle hidden in the Law.

Prov 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

edit on 3-2-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: added scriptural citation

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

All of the law[s] are fulfilled in a name .Jesus ...this is a great podcast for believers and none believers as it is the theme of the whole of the bible .

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Christ fulfilled the Law, he did not destroy it.

So what does that mean to you, spiritually
Or is it just a saying that you flip out now and then

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Which specific Law are you referring to? Each individual law it's own spiritual truth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join