It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Completely 'locked-in' patients can communicate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
From the BBC health division:
Brain scanning computer can read the thoughts of people who are "locked in" now!

Patients with absolutely no control over their body have finally been able to communicate, say scientists.
A brain-computer interface was used to read the thoughts of patients to answer basic yes-or-no questions.

The patients all had advanced forms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, in which the brain loses the ability to control muscles.
It eventually traps people in their own body - they are able to think, but incapable of moving or talking.
When they become "locked in", it can still be possible to develop ways of communication using eye movements.
But all the patients in the study were "completely locked in" and could not even move their eyes.

Great news! (Ugh, I can't imagine anything worse than that except being blind and deaf as well.)

Patients who have recovered from locked-in syndrome say being able to communicate makes a huge difference.
Kate Allatt, became locked in for five months when she had a stroke at the age of 39.
Unlike the patients in this study, she became able to communicate when her friends asked her to blink once for yes or twice for no.
She told the BBC: "It was phenomenal, that moment if you could wrap every single Christmas, every single birthday, every single child you've ever held in your arms for the first time - that was how exciting it was."

This is why we need science and technology. To understand our minds and brains. Psychology and neuroscience are still in their frontier days. I just love stuff like this.

I also have always wanted to talk to people who were comatose but aware of their surroundings. I think that doing "organ harvesting" on 'locked-in' or 'brain-dead' people without anesthesia is HORRIBLE.

But then, I am not a big fan of organ-donation anyway.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Thank you OP..

This gives me some hope.
I can't say why or where.
Smiles🤗

You said it here..
I beleive you understand fully.

"This is why we need science and technology. To understand our minds and brains. Psychology and neuroscience are still in their frontier days. I just love stuff like this.

I also have always wanted to talk to people who were comatose but aware of their surroundings. I think that doing "organ harvesting" on 'locked-in' or 'brain-dead' people without anesthesia is HORRIBLE.

But then, I am not a big fan of organ-donation anyway."

I was vehemently againts it back then.
But science has boosted us further..

edit on 1-2-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

My pleasure. I love finding out stuff like this.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Just know you posted at the right time🤗

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

That's great Buzzy, I wonder what they'd read if they used it on Murdering bastards in prison for life?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN

That's great Buzzy, I wonder what they'd read if they used it on Murdering bastards in prison for life?

That's what we all want to know. There are studies being done. So far this machine only can do "Yes" or "No" readings. But hey, the abacus was a start.....now we're a few thousand more years into it....

Thanks for reading. I would think it would be terrifying not to be able to move ANYTHING not even your eyes, but still be fully capable of your normal internal dialogue.

Found it interesting that many of them reported they are "happy" --- the article/source has some great 'also read' stuff on it.

top topics

join