It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump on phone with Australian leader: 'This was the worst call by far'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin
a reply to: Profusion

We need to bring the refugee's here, they are our problem and we have kept them incarcerated for too long, in conditions worse than prison.

One of the few things that bring me shame as an Australian.

Thanks for stepping up!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Underfire2
a reply to: khnum

So for all we know Obama could have been having this PM send them here to do harm, under the watch of Trump.

The deal was absolutely stupid it communicated to the people smugglers that if you dont end up in Sydney you'll end up in San Diego as for the fifth column Obama was flying them in by the thousands a week Id say you already have the problem your thinking of.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Im an Aussie and even I thought thye US was getting a bum deal.

You basically agreed to take 1200 economic migrants that we wouldnt, great for us but not so great for the US.

I think these 1200 should be sent home, giving them asylum anywhere just encourages more people to pay criminals thousands of dollars to make the trip.

As an Aussie I say "Good on ya Trump
"
edit on 1/2/2017 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The lesson is simple:
Dont work with the US...the next administration is just gonna cancel them anyhow.
Dont trust the US, dont work with them.
USA - They do not honor arrangments.

Pick and choose, but the reality is just that...it might be a #%$& deal, but it was a deal nonetheless and you gotta honor it, else you are to be pushed out of the big boys club as being untrustable.

So..it has to be done then...but nothing saying you cant shove them all in some super remote town in the woods of alaska with no transportation anywhere and just tell em good luck..plant in spring, go hunting, will drop some food off by helicopter every couple weeks, etc...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yes, they can live in my neighborhood. Not in my home.....I already have 4 children and a wife, in a 3 bedroom house.

Honestly Australia could easily accommodate them, and more. Proper implementation of refugee labour force and educational programs could pave the way for their entry, and the entry of other refugee's.

Mothers and Children should be granted automatic entry and housing along with a psychological evaluation, Men and non-paternal women should be skill tested, language tested and also given psychological evaluation.

We are a huge country with a vast amount of unused space and potential to accommodate these people with properly implemented government programs. There should be no need for anyone to 'open their doors and welcome refugee's into their own home'.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Turnbull is an idiot.
He's not looking out for the best interests of his own country.
This won't be soon forgotten.

Many of the refugees came from Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Somalia, countries now listed in Trump's order temporarily banning their citizens entry to the United States. A special provision in the Trump order allows for exceptions to honor "a preexisting international agreement," a line that was inserted to cover the Australia deal.

At one point, Turnbull suggested that the two leaders move on from their impasse over refugees to discuss the conflict in Syria and other pressing foreign issues. But Trump demurred and ended the call, making it far shorter than his conversations with Shinzo Abe of Japan, Angela Merkel of Germany, François Hollande of France or Putin.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Yes, they can live in my neighborhood. Not in my home.....I already have 4 children and a wife, in a 3 bedroom house.

Honestly Australia could easily accommodate them, and more. Proper implementation of refugee labour force and educational programs could pave the way for their entry, and the entry of other refugee's.

Mothers and Children should be granted automatic entry and housing along with a psychological evaluation, Men and non-paternal women should be skill tested, language tested and also given psychological evaluation.

We are a huge country with a vast amount of unused space and potential to accommodate these people with properly implemented government programs. There should be no need for anyone to 'open their doors and welcome refugee's into their own home'.

Ahhhhhhh, I see! So you want them vetted? Just like President Trump does so you and your family are safe?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Not vetted, psychological trauma happens in refugee camps.....and they have had to deal with some pretty fudged up shiz compared to the everyday aussie. They may need more support than just housing and work.

But please, keep trying to make me look bad.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Let's just be realistic about what it means.

For sure. Too late for hope he'll change.

The characterizations provide insight into Trump's temperament and approach to the diplomatic requirements of his job as the nation's chief executive, a role in which he continues to employ both the uncompromising negotiating tactics he honed as a real estate developer and the bombastic style he exhibited as a reality television personality.

This was interesting. Hope they pay his staff writer well.

The depictions of Trump's calls are also at odds with sanitized White House accounts. The official read-out of his conversation with Turnbull, for example, said that the two had "emphasized the enduring strength and closeness of the U.S.-Australia relationship that is critical for peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally."

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LightAssassin

they could have stayed home and worked to improve their lives and improve their country but they chose to become refugees in a refugee camp. They made a bad choice but like all of us they have to accept the consequences of their bad decisions.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Why the hell should we take in 1,200 economic refugees from half way across the globe? What benefit does this provide to the citizens of of the U.S.

If Obama made a commitment, why the hell did they wait until he was out of office..... set-up. Seriously. When the hell was the commitment made and why the wait?

Anyway

Best line of the story in the link:

Trump told Peña Nieto in last Friday's call, according to the Associated Press, which said it reviewed a transcript of part of the conversation, "You have a bunch of bad hombres down there. You aren't doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it."

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

It's so very easy to make that statement sitting behind your computer. I can't possibly understand what some of those people have gone through but they were desperate enough to pay a criminal possibly everything they had at a chance to go to a country more prosperous, more free, and far less oppressive.

If I could implement my idea they would be made to earn their keep......hence the refugee labor force...it's not a free pass....it's a 'work to earn the roof over your head and the food on your table, and to learn our language' or risk being deported.

The everyday aussie doesn't get a free pass, neither should the refugee. But they should most definitely get a fair go...not be imprisoned offshore the way they are.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

We need to bring the refugee's here, they are our problem and we have kept them incarcerated for too long, in conditions worse than prison.

You ignore the fact the illegals can leave anytime they want to, you also ignore the fact they are actually just economic migrants, paying people smugglers thousands of dollars to try and enter Australia illegally

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Economic migrants...possibly. Ethnic minorities from countries that oppress them...definitely. Would they be welcomed back open arms....no.

I assume you've been to Manus Island and Nauru then and spoken first hand with these people?

And if they can leave at anytime but choose to subject themselves to the conditions of asylum offshore....what does that tell you about where they came from?
edit on 1-2-2017 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Trump's lack of tact alone has already caused problems. While his undiplomatic nature may not end up causing a war, it could lead to all sorts of unintended consequences.
As if tact and diplomacy couldn't . Oh yea that's right the world never existed before Trump and never had issues and consequences . There are lots of characters of the not too distant past but I will just throw out Victoria Nuland as one of countless others. sheesh ...this should have gotten old a long time ago ..

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I'd rather our leaders BE REAL with other world leaders instead of snip kissing and fake platitudes.

Apparently diplomacy to some means faking it. Be who you are and let the chips fall where they may.

That is how people build respect with one another.

From that article it sounds like he acted like a child and hung up on him.

Where I come from, that's not exactly how you build respect. But I don't claim to know all cultural nuances -- is this how you build respect where you're from?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Tardacus

It's so very easy to make that statement sitting behind your computer. I can't possibly understand what some of those people have gone through but they were desperate enough to pay a criminal possibly everything they had at a chance to go to a country more prosperous, more free, and far less oppressive.

If I could implement my idea they would be made to earn their keep......hence the refugee labor force...it's not a free pass....it's a 'work to earn the roof over your head and the food on your table, and to learn our language' or risk being deported.

The everyday aussie doesn't get a free pass, neither should the refugee. But they should most definitely get a fair go...not be imprisoned offshore the way they are.

From the sound of it, maybe Trump needs to start thinking of not so much building a wall but rather a bridge to where you live!

That is all we want, for ANY refugee to be legal and not be any threat, I mean, if we're talking refugees.
Someday you may get what you are talking about, but it may not be as nicely packaged as you dream.
edit on 1-2-2017 by recrisp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Australian leader attempts to politically ambush America's new President.

It should have been one of the most congenial calls for the new commander in chief - a conversation with the leader of Australia, one of America's staunchest allies, at the end of a triumphant week.

Instead, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull ambushed the newly sworn in President stating that the former administration had made an agreement to absorb economic refugees that Australia did not want.

President Trump, ended the call after 25 minutes, realizing that the timing of this agreement was made as a political maneuver which was clearly not to be implemented until he was in the oval office.

So, why doesn't Australia take them? Answer that question.

Seriously.
edit on 1-2-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: recrisp

I'm sure it won't be. The government will always choose the easiest option, not the best option.

There is no easy solution. Every single pathway leads to an undesirable outcome for someone.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Trump should reject the deal. It's a bad deal and was only necessary to appease the Obama administration who were critics of Australian migration policies and obviously domestic leftists in Australia who are also against the policies. The deal gave the government an out where they could trade S. American christian refugees for muslim refugees who had tried to illegally enter Australia.

Tony Abbott who was elected and then removed by his own party and replaced by Turnbull would have got on a lot better with Trump. I doubt he would have agreed to this deal because he wouldn't have compromised and just sent them back. Both Australia and America should not accept people who attempt to enter their country illegally. Almost all of those who claim to be refugees are from far off nations and passed through many safe and stable nations on their way to get here. They are more economic migrants than refugees.
edit on 1-2-2017 by Azure because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join