It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists March on Washington scheduled for Earth Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
At this time I'm planning on participating in the one in Washington. I know of another one planned for Houston and one for Oklahoma City, Given the number of universities (including U-Texas) in Austin, it will not surprise me if there's one there as well.

...and the gods alone know where MIT will march.

news link

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Cool. What cause specifically will you be marching for?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Organizers want the march to be a non-partisan protest that champion support and funding for science, science-based policy and diversity.

Seems to me when a group descends on Washington to get money. It's not about SCIENCE. It's not about the Earth. It's not even about policy or diversity.

It's about getting as much TAX PAYER money as they can get, and for WHAT ?

I ask.

They say the SCIENCE is settled.

No argument.

Case Closed.

Another political stunt, by someone like a Soros. Because those 'protests' take MONEY.

What's that four letter word when someone wanted to get paid for their political beliefs ?

Starts with a S ends with an L?

People need to stop letting their causes get hijacked.

edit on 1-2-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I don't think it's been announced if this one is for freedom of speech or if it's also for education. Probably both. It all started with gag orders on scientists and private and constitutionally protected social media accounts, but now with DeVos confirmation, education will probably play a big part too.

Which cause will you be marching for?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Let's get their names!

Most likely they are marching because their political paychecks are going to dry up like the Sahara desert!

Now that Obama is gone lets hear from the real scientists who are no longer afraid of disagreeing because of political fallout?

edit on 1-2-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I thought real scientists valued research, facts and evidence.

The fake news "gag order" is debunked. It is standard practice and Obama did the same.

Longtime employees at three of the agencies — including some career environmental regulators who conceded that they remained worried about what President Trump might do on policy matters — said such orders were not much different from those delivered by the Obama administration as it shifted policies from the departing White House of George W. Bush. They called reactions to the agency memos overblown. On Wednesday, Douglas Ericksen, a spokesman for the E.P.A., said that grants had been only briefly frozen for review, and that they would be restarted by Friday.

“I’ve lived through many transitions, and I don’t think this is a story,” said a senior E.P.A. career official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media on the matter. “I don’t think it’s fair to call it a gag order. This is standard practice. And the move with regard to the grants, when a new administration comes in, you run things by them before you update the website.”

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Steam engines power virtually all of our modern electric load/requirements. I used to idolize scientists.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I wont be marching for anything. Just curious what the OP thinks is so serious scientist need to take to the streets. The gag order you referenced was for agencies not private twitter accounts.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

How about marching with millions for something really important like all the illegal wars the US has conducted in the name of peace and democracy while dragging other countries in to a coalition in order to appear to give said wars a more deeply concerned and perceived legitimacy?

....crickets...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

How about marching with millions for something really important like all the illegal wars the US has conducted in the name of peace and democracy while dragging other countries in to a coalition in order to appear to give said wars a more deeply concerned and perceived legitimacy?

....crickets...

I've been called a right winger many times on ATS and I agree with you! The bastardization of the word "Democracy" by the Progressive Left is astounding! Notice I don't call people Liberals? Yea, that's how bad it has gotten. I respect classical liberals but they don't even belong in the same category as those whom claim to be Progressives!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

People love labels, I never really got that. If I had to describe myself I guess it would be a liberalist, humanist anarchist. I believe in freedom of personal choice, people and no rulers (anarchy means no rulers in my book, I realise dictionaries and wikipedia define it differently to scare people). It does NOT mean no laws, that would be silly, scary and unworkable.

But, unfortunately, others like to pick a team, wave a flag and cheer for a despot. Ah well, to each their own I guess.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

People love labels, I never really got that. If I had to describe myself I guess it would be a liberalist, humanist anarchist. I believe in freedom of personal choice, people and no rulers (anarchy means no rulers in my book, I realise dictionaries and wikipedia define it differently to scare people). It does NOT mean no laws, that would be silly, scary and unworkable.

But, unfortunately, others like to pick a team, wave a flag and cheer for a despot. Ah well, to each their own I guess.

You're right, but those of us who adhere to those labels are those the most guilty of being manipulated by those who control us?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Earth day. Isn't that the day we are supposed to shut off the lights for an hour and try to conserve energy and stay home to show our respect to the earth by not polluting?

How does hopping on a plane and flying to Washington or driving five hours to go to a protest work into that. I bet the earth meter registering pollution will take a jump this year around earth day. Talk about making a good idea into a bad situation.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I wont be marching for anything. Just curious what the OP thinks is so serious scientist need to take to the streets. The gag order you referenced was for agencies not private twitter accounts.

The people these scientists work for will probably pay for their travel and lodging to try to make sure Trump doesn't cut their funding. Now, most bureaucracies aren't allowed to use Federal Funds to stir up things that can persuade the government to give them more funding. So their payment will be in the form of a one time bonus, one only the people who go to this protest get. I am sure they can get around the law. After all, they are intelligent scientists and they should know to get a lawyer before starting something like this. If it is private funds they can use those, there is no rule on that.
edit on 1-2-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

I thought real scientists valued research, facts and evidence.

The fake news "gag order" is debunked. It is standard practice and Obama did the same.

Longtime employees at three of the agencies — including some career environmental regulators who conceded that they remained worried about what President Trump might do on policy matters — said such orders were not much different from those delivered by the Obama administration as it shifted policies from the departing White House of George W. Bush. They called reactions to the agency memos overblown. On Wednesday, Douglas Ericksen, a spokesman for the E.P.A., said that grants had been only briefly frozen for review, and that they would be restarted by Friday.

“I’ve lived through many transitions, and I don’t think this is a story,” said a senior E.P.A. career official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media on the matter. “I don’t think it’s fair to call it a gag order. This is standard practice. And the move with regard to the grants, when a new administration comes in, you run things by them before you update the website.”

www.nytimes.com...

Debunked by an anonymous official. Come on.

I guess we'll see if it's debunked on Earth Day.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

....crickets...

Already did that in the 60's and 70's.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

The people these scientists work for will probably pay for their travel and lodging to try to make sure Trump doesn't cut their funding

We're going on our own nickel... and taking vacation.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
At this time I'm planning on participating in the one in Washington. I know of another one planned for Houston and one for Oklahoma City, Given the number of universities (including U-Texas) in Austin, it will not surprise me if there's one there as well.

...and the gods alone know where MIT will march.

news link

Oh good.

I think it's necessary to keep these protests going.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't understand why people say they are "marching" when it's only people with a specific agenda walking.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

The hallmark of ATS used to be that people would read the article and google for other links on the topic and then entering the discussion.

I will assume that you simply did not read the article and are not trying to pretend-troll me. So the original article is here and has the information.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join