It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian government classifies interim Hornet report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Despite being posted online for over a year, the Canadian government has removed a report stating that an interim fighter purchase was both unnecessary, and too expensive. When asked, the DND stated that it was judged that the current threat environment made the report too sensitive for public release, without saying how the threat environment had changed since the report had originally been posted.

The head of the RCAF has said that the fighter gap was created last year when the government changed the defense policy to meet both NATO and NORAD requirements which changed the number of aircraft needed.

ottawacitizen.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wasn't that the given "out " when rescinding on an order for F35's ?

ED: Which was during R & D due to negative press ?
edit on 31-1-2017 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Canadian Govt = Dumb (on a large scale)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

If you thought the SAR deal had issues, you haven't been paying attention. This deal reeks of corruption and cover up, along with a huge case of passing the buck to the next government, while screwing the RCAF and taxpayers.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Brief synopsis so I can get the lowdown?
I'd like to learn more.
edit on 31-1-2017 by D8Tee because: No, really, I don't have to give a reason. I've tested this and discovered it to be true.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

They withdrew from the F-35 selection because, among other things, no bid contracts are wrong. They announced they were going to hold an open and fair competition, until they found they couldn't exclude the F-35.

Then suddenly there was a critical fighter shortage. When the head of the RCAF said there wasn't their treaty obligations were changed to create one.

Late last year, they announced they were buying 18 Super Hornets in a no bid contract, and all 250 or so people involved were forced to sign non disclosure agreements covering every aspect of the deal.

Now this.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Is Canada getting the Hornets?
Canada wont be told how much they cost?
Who are the 250 people involved that signed NDA's?
Whats the future of the F35's?
edit on 31-1-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

They're buying Super Hornets, but that means they're going to be paying a lot more both in the short and long term when the fighter replacement does go through.

Right now its canceled for the RCAF. They're still paying to keep the business from the program, but until they finally hold the replacement competition there's no telling if they'll get them or not. This is a way for the current government to foist the replacement bid off on the next government. But it screws both the RCAF pilots and the taxpayer.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Kick the can down the road like they did with the SAR aircraft for the last 17 years.
How much the SuperHornets worth?
I'm not understanding the part about the 250 people having to sign the NDA.
Thanks for you input, appreciated.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

List for an E/F is almost $100M. They'll negotiate that down some, but you're still looking at $1B+ with infrastructure improvements required for 18 aircraft.

This is the first time I or other people I know have ever heard of an NDA for procurement of a non classified aircraft. It sure looks like something is being covered up.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

You know anything about this situation?
Top Canadian military commander Mark Norman relieved of post

OTTAWA—In a stunning move, Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, the second-in-command of Canada’s military, has been relieved of his duties and the top general is refusing to say why.

In a notice dated Jan. 13, Gen. Jonathan Vance, the chief of defence staff, revealed that Norman would no longer be acting as the vice-chief.

“Effective immediately and until further notice, Vice-Admiral M.A.G. Norman will not exercise the powers, duties and functions, including command of the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS),” Vance said in the notice.

Military experts struggled to comprehend the reason for such a dramatic personnel move that has probably cut short the career of a respected senior officer in line to be the next top general.

Nor could they recall a time when someone of Norman’s rank had been abruptly bounced from their post.

“I was totally shocked . . . it’s pretty unprecedented,” said Dave Perry, a senior analyst with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.

One former officer called it extraordinary. “It’s never, never seen.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

First I've heard of it. Don't be surprised if he said the wrong thing to the wrong people and embarrassed someone. This government is apparently all about secrecy.
edit on 1/31/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Read somewhere he had leaked info on navy ships, but yea, could be anything.
Glad I don't have an important job lol, I like it that way.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   

If they can get it while the line is still hot! I'm worried if they don't pull the trigger on this soon Boeing is going to start ramping the price, one way or another.

F-35A is down to, what, $102M/unit......

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: aholic
F35
Is it a good plane?
Is it the right purchase for the RCAF?
I ask these questions because I expect there are members here much more knowledgeable than me in this issue.

How about the Super Hornets, is it a wise buy?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Oh, there's been so much discussion on whether it's the right buy for the RCAF. I personally believe so. But there are many very good reasons as to why not as well.

Three things to consider would be, the vast ranges of territory this aircraft would have to cover in your country, longevity into the future of the RCAF and interoperability with allied aircraft when fighting as a coalition abroad in support of troops on the ground or in the air. IMO, the F-35 is far better suited than the Hornet.

The Super Hornet is at the end of its life cycle. It's seeing the last iteration of it's design in the Kuwaiti purchase and then Boeing basically plans to wrap up shop. There won't be any further improvements on this airframe past that. We are already seeing here in the states a shortage of parts for these aircraft and our older airframes are really beginning to wear. There have been a number of high profile accidents with the F-18 here lately, unfortunately.

The F-35 is also less taxing on the pilot, allowing for more hours and less stress during flight. The cockpit of the F-18E/F has gotten QUITE cramped lately.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: aholic

LRIP 10 will drop them below $100M. It drops them another 6-7%.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
CBC News has estimated the cost of the deal to be between $3.8-5.3B USD for the aircraft, support, simulators and more. The government disputes those figures, saying they're still negotiating.
edit on 2/1/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

it's a shame.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It seems like they're just being contrary and don't want to look incompetent for sticking with the decision to cancel the F-35, so found kind of the "next best", even if it's not what the military needs and will cost more.

Personally I think they see a Conservative government in next and will pass the replacement on to their plate to use as political ammo later on again.

<<   2 >>

join