It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A haunting - The University of Minnesota Mayo Building.

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I knew when I took a job at the U of M Hospital and Clinic some places I walked through were 'hot' with the vibe.

I worked at night. My job that took me to different places around campus. It was the year Minneapolis had two Chicago Gangs move in and fight a war here. As a result, Hennipen County Morgue was full; the U of M Hospital was used as an overflow. My Computer Room was right above one of the morgues in U of M Hospital and Clinic Campus, in the old Mayo Building.

Things started small. Walking down empty office isles on my way to deliver computer reports, I would hear a noise behind me, and a wheel chair would be in the empty isle… Or an office chair. One time I was walking down a long corridor (tunnel) of gurneys. It had only 2 lights on - one on each end - Gurneys to the right. I walked down it, heard a squeak of old wheels. Turned around, and one of the Gurneys was slowly sliding into the wash of light, completely blocking the walkway. Creepy, but I dismissed thinking my own movement caused it.

I started having problems in the Mainframe Computer Area. I would be typing on one of the green screen computer consoles and I would see a reflection of green bar continuous form paper fly up into the air, then xylophone back down again. The Input/Output office area was empty at night yet I would hear things move back there, open/close sliding cabinet drawers. Still, I ignored it.

Then I delivered reports to Intensive Care Unit.

It was a long haul, involving two elevators and a tunnel. I was coming back, around 3:30am, in an elevator when outside of my hearing, like a human voice is when spoken, I hear a laugh. A small, close, chuckle. Ha ha, pause, then Hah ha haaaaaaah. I froze tight.

Waiting for the elevator to open, I shot out with my hair standing on end. Flipping around, I stared an empty elevator. Nothing. Everything quiet. I can hear the hum of the hallway florescent lights. Poking my head in I remember the elevator smelled like dirty floor water. I went back to the Computer Room and called the security guards to ask if anyone was working in the elevators; No one was.

One of the last nights. I was in the I/O office. Without warning something slams the floor. WHAM!…10-15 second pause. WHAM, a shorter pause then WHAM. Hard. The desks were jumping. I called the guards. I thought someone was breaking into the morgue. It went on for a good twenty minutes. The guards came to my I/O Area while it was still happening. I was a little miffed – why weren't they stopping it. I said as much. That was when the one guards informed me that they had recordings, of the elevators, when I deliver reports.

He said when I walked by the elevators they would start up, or, if the gondola was on the floor, the doors would open. They said they had it on the security cameras – over and over - since I called them a few weeks earlier (the night of the laugh). In one case, it was remarked, I walked past the main bank of elevators, and all six of them opened one after another; apparently they were 'parked' waiting for the morning rush. The other guard never spoke, just looked around, white as a sheet, sweaty scared. The pounding stopped.

I changed jobs a few weeks later. I remember my last day at the old Mayo Building, in the U of M Complex, I decided to stop at the elevator closest to the Lab Data Computer Room. I was carrying my box of stuff. I waited by the elevator - feeling kind of stupid in the bright of the day - when the door opened. I stepped in, then stepped back out making sure I did not trigger the safety eye, the doors closed. I could see by the the elevator indicator it went down one floor… to the morgue. I turned around and walked out.

edit on 29-1-2017 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Newt22

Creepy as hell my friend, I'd of quit after a few days, how did you manage to keep it together for so long? Lol

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ParanoidCovKid

ParanoidCovKid... I worked there about 6-8 months all told. Had to train my replacement - about 2 months. I did not say why I was leaving.

I call it someone looking out for me trying to get my head out of my fifth point of contact. :-) I knew by then I could feel stuff like that, had since I was little. . I thought I could handle it. BUT, when things started, ummm, basically, following me around the hospital without a by your leave. I grew up a little, started to respect that I did not know everything. I tend to not look for things like that now.

Though, sometimes friends will ask, or someone they know asks through them... And it is real fly by stuff like, my answers back when asked if this house or there parents place is haunted.. I say "...no its not too haunted", or, "it feels friendly enough"... or "its the history of the place coming thru".

Anyway... yep a lively place, no pun intended.
edit on 29-1-2017 by Newt22 because: typos always typos

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Lmao i wouldn't of told them why i was leaving either, otherwise you might of spooked off several potential replacements and had to work their even longer.... good call

I happen to be the same in them regards that i can feel the vibes of a place, though haven't really experienced anything paranormal to extremes since my teen years.

Thanks for sharing though, i like reading others experiences with haunted buildings

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ParanoidCovKid

ParanoidCovKid... You should tell them, I like to know of other's experiences. Any written up?

edit on 31-1-2017 by Newt22 because: typo #2

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Aaahhhhhh.

Thank god for the paranormal forum and posts like this. S&F. Thank you! Nothing like a good ghost story like yours. First-hand experience of the real phenomena! I hate politics - this is a conspiracy forum. I believe your story, and I enjoy similar hospital stories in the media. In fact - you inspired me to look up more U of M stuff. Enjoy.

edit on 31 1 2017 by TheFatefulDay because: (no reason given)

edit on 31 1 2017 by TheFatefulDay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
TheFatefullDay - Cool video. The Mayo Building is right next to the Student Community Building. If I remember right it was built in 1914, and has always been a place that trained doctors and surgeons.

It has those old surgery theaters that have the doctor in the center and the chairs go up 30 feet all around. I had two next to my Computer Room - bookend it. Those were creepy. Definitely.

The campus is on the edge of the Mississippi, not built on flat ground... so there are all these tunnels... everywhere. Also the elevator I came down (ghost laugh elevator) is the one that would used when the gurneys carry the dead to the morgue (from Intensive). Also, it's by the methadone clinic so is literally stripped of anything of value... the aluminum rails are gone, speaker ripped out. Buttons cracked and broke.

Thanks for posting the video.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Creepy, that the elevator was in such need of repair. Perhaps the hospital had issues with the emergency call system? If you were interested in pursuing more information about it, you could hit up the security guys you used to work with.

I've always felt uneasy in hospice places and critical care units at hospitals, but I've never personally witnessed things like you have. I am a big fan of the show "Paranormal Witness" and they have an entire episode devoted to hospital incidents, with witness interviews.

Season 3. Episode 6.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I grew up a little, started to respect that I did not know everything. I tend to not look for things like that now.

BTW I think this outlook on navigating these types of experiences is particularly wise, and protects people from having stuff "stick" with them. I don't go seeking it out either, but it's fascinating to hear about.

new topics

top topics

join