It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets play some DOOM!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Doom online multiplayer, the game that started it all...

www.zdaemon.org...

Doom2.wad needed, can be found anywhere.... Yes, people STILL play. Despite it's old age, you will be hard pressed to STILL find a fast paced experience that matches it. It is totally redone, mouse look up/down, jump! All inccorperated.
edit on 28-1-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I would play online.. Look up look down! That was priceless, for the older crowd lol

edit on 28-1-2017 by brokenghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: brokenghost

I would play online.. Look up look down! That was priceless, for the older crowd lol

Yea it has mouselook, jump, etc. Just like a modern shooter.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Spewing, nice idea but the doom1.wad file was not compatible, and wanted a COMMERCIAL one, for one server, a doom2 server wanted a whole bunch of other wads, and all the servers I found have less than 7 people and 350ms pings...

but might see how it goes over time.. multiplayer doom seems like fun !!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Most multiplayer folks use Zandronum and move on something like a flavor of the week schedule with whatever mod is popular at the time. Invasion maps some of the most Doom fun I've ever had.

No time tonight but I'll check out zDeamon, never even heard of it before.
edit on 28-1-2017 by Noncents because: This has been around a few years, eh?

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
Most multiplayer folks use Zandronum and move on something like a flavor of the week schedule with whatever mod is popular at the time. Invasion maps some of the most Doom fun I've ever had.

No time tonight but I'll check out zDeamon, never even heard of it before.

Oh I will have to check that one out. I only know of Zdaemon. Nice thanks

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry

Spewing, nice idea but the doom1.wad file was not compatible, and wanted a COMMERCIAL one, for one server, a doom2 server wanted a whole bunch of other wads, and all the servers I found have less than 7 people and 350ms pings...

but might see how it goes over time.. multiplayer doom seems like fun !!

You need doom2.wad.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
If you're not needing multiplayer and want a go at normal modded Doom there's also the foundational zDoom and it's offspring gzDoom which has openGL support. Not all mods that work on z or gz will work on Zandronum but the exclusive ones for it are usually top notch. I mostly use gzDoom.

If you are into or get into playing modded Doom there's also frontends you can set up to make managing all the .wads less painful. The two big ones are ZDL and Rocket Launcher, which is what I recommend. I can go on about Doom for ages, just started mapping again recently.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   

I have that too, but on trying to enter a server it popped up a dialogue box telling me I was missing about 7 other wad files, and asked if it should search, but froze connecting to an IP.

I know there are different wad files too, so I'll have to hunt for the right one for this version. I'm sure there will be links on some support somewhere

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   
PC gaming is not what they used to be, I could care less about the "pc master race" they have been comprimised by hackers, advertisers, and large corporations to exploit you. PC gaming is in a decline and most pc exclusive games are indie and they never usually leave beta, take scorn for example tons of gamers want it but will never get it. To hell with the pc master race.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
PC gaming is not what they used to be, I could care less about the "pc master race" they have been comprimised by hackers, advertisers, and large corporations to exploit you. PC gaming is in a decline and most pc exclusive games are indie and they never usually leave beta, take scorn for example tons of gamers want it but will never get it. To hell with the pc master race.

What´s the difference to the console slave race? No robber baron capitalism in console gaming? It´s not the same producers that make these games for all platforms, to make more money? Everything is going down the drain, did you think that would stop at the gaming industry???

Which games are from less quality(because of the console "power") but around 20-30 Euros more expensive than PC games(+paying for online gaming in some cases)? How many steam sales you got on console?

And one of the worst problems for the PC gamers is that games are made with less quality, so that a port to consoles is possible. And if they port from console to PC, they forget to delete things like the 30fps lock and stuff. I bought Mad Max for 6,99 on steam sale, played it till i had to shoot an enemy... with a "joy"pad... Uninstalled and forgot about that console port, because it felt like a console game(because it is one), no fun at all. 6,99, not the price you have to pay for a console Mad Max...

I wanna see a consolero setting up an arma exile survival/crafting server with 20 mods and playing on it, for example.
With a joypad(even if you can buy keyboards and mouses for some consoles, for way too much money)...

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Sweet Jesus, my roommate is Doom crazy. Posters, figurines, owns every special edition, etc. He alpha & beta tested it. Now, along with the help from one of the developers, he organizes tournaments. They're still small. Last one had 32 teams in it, I think? But, the dude is a boss at it. The newest one is what I'm talking about. Not the original. Js.
I'm a BF4 guy myself. Despite that, star & flag for you, friend.
edit on 29-1-2017 by ColdChillin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

People are still playing DOOM 2 multiplayer? what year is it?!?

Does it require DOSBOX or is it in a browser? I haven't played DOOM since...last night, the latest reboot is so metal you could build a bridge out of it. If you haven't played it do yourself a favor and play it.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Doom online multiplayer, the game that started it all...

Thanks for the link. I was talking with my son about DOOM a few days ago, now he can try it himself while i play WOT.

edit on 29/1/17 by Norge because: forgot to add ( CAN )

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Really? Only one major problem . Take half of the cores , memory , and video cards I have in any one of my 3 gaming systems out and I still am playing with more power than any 3 consoles put together
Weak a** consoles.
Consoles = Toys
Play with power , come to the Dark Side.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Star and flag just for the knowledge folks are still playing. Maybe even using some of my old wad files I created and shared .

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But again the access to games is a lot more limited via PC. The old PC glory days are long gone, PC to console is still a preference but at the end of the day I choose access to more games versus limited access to "better graphics and sound" for a ton more money for the rig.

To me it is all about the games, in the near future I am actually going to convert a PC to play nothing but retro games as I play a lot of them, that will be everything from the classic thief games to the Duke Nukem series, Old school COD, Doom, Quake, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Turbo Graphix, etc etc.

Hell I even heard a rumor about a peripheral that will allow me to play Neo Geo AES Carts arcade quality for pc.

Other then those things I have more fun with the console then I do with the PC. Sorry if in my last post I seemed rash, I haven't been having a great last week/ weekend.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

This is not a PC master race thing. As I like both PC's and consoles. But I think you have it backwards here. Most console games come to PC with the exception of some Playstation and Nintendo exclusives.

Then you have all the PC exclusives in genres that are under represented on console. Like Strategy, Adventure, MMO's and CRPG's-real time with pause, turn based(non-JRPG), hack and slash.

The indie pool is much bigger on PC. You can emulate older games. Japanese developers are all starting to come to PC. Playstation now is available on PC, so PC players can access the PS3 exclusives with the possibility of the PS4 exclusives looking likely in the future. The PC back catalog is huge.

To me it seems the PC has way more games than any console and way better sales. So if anything PC is on the rise.

Xbox exclusives are all coming to PC from this point forward. Playstation has opened the door with PS NOW coming to PC. And what happens if Nintendo's new system fails like the WII-U, they might open up their catalog.

Then you have the consoles trying to become more PC like. Both Xbox and Sony are trying to come out with upgraded consoles mid cycle. That have better hardware, but not better enough to be a new console. Just like PC, they want to have entry level, mid level, and high level. So they can release new hardware faster, that is only slightly better. No more PS 1, 2, 3 4. but PS 4.1, 4.2. 4.3 etc etc

So pretty soon you will have to own three consoles that you will need to regularly upgrade to play the newest games and pay 60 bucks a game. I would rather have one PC that I can upgrade individual parts, rather than having to buy three different new console every 2.5 years that combined probably still have less games than a PC.

Its just the way things are going. If the consoles want to be PC's, while also opening their catalogs to the PC. I might as well just play on a PC. Which is why I recently built my first computer.

But that is just my opinion. Obviously everyone should play games on whatever they are comfortable with. Having fun is the most important thing. Not what you play on.
edit on 30-1-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I have a laptop from 2006 that runs PS3 games I wouldn't go to pc to play a playstation for the same reasons I don't own a retron 5 to play my snes or sega. You do present a compelling looking glass into the future though, that is for sure.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
That's really wonderful!

top topics

join