It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quotes only displays some

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I don't know if this is the right forum but I noticed recently that when I try and quote someone's post to give a detailed answer, only part of their post are displayed. Therefore my answers seem a bit weird to a partial post.

I used to have this problem intermittently but now it is with every post that I try to quote.

Am I the only one that has this problem? I see others quoting posts just fine and in their entirety. Yet when I do it, the quote is only a couple of sentences or less.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666
I think I can guess.
Management was trying to discourage the practice of "nesting" quotes inside each other. That is, A's quotation from B's post including what B quoted from C.
For this reason, every [ quote ] you make should be closed by a [ /quote ] before you type a fresh one.
If your post has one [ quote ] followed by another [ quote ] the display stops at the second one.

(This is the kind of question which people more commonly post in "Board business")
edit on 27-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Thanks, maybe a mod can move my post.

All this

business is confusing to me. I'm only a customer, if I have to start removing and adding stuff, I'll give up quoting altogether.
Also whilst I appreciate your answer and it makes sense with nested comments. It happens to me with all comments, even 'pure' [not nested] ones.
Even short ones are made even shorter. It's quite annoying.

As you can see I didn't even try to 'quote' you in order to answer

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
a reply to: DISRAELI

Thanks, maybe a mod can move my post.

All this

business is confusing to me. I'm only a customer, if I have to start removing and adding stuff, I'll give up quoting altogether.
Also whilst I appreciate your answer and it makes sense with nested comments. It happens to me with all comments, even 'pure' [not nested] ones.
Even short ones are made even shorter. It's quite annoying.

As you can see I didn't even try to 'quote' you in order to answer

OMG, now what??? I ididn't do anything to the above post at all, just clicked 'reply'. Wow, something isn't quite right here...

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Heeelp, see how fecked up my posts come out? Hello Mods, please help. What's going on?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
When I typed "[ quote ]", I deliberately added spaces, so that it would show up on screen and not act as a command.
You just typed it without the spaces; as a result, it went invisible, and also acted as a command to start a "quote" box.
I used the "quote" function myself to inspect your post and see what you did.
P.S. The same explanation applies to your immediately following post. Every time you type or keep [ quote ] without the added spaces, it acts as a command.

Can you link to any other examples of this problem so that we can diagnose them?

edit on 27-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
So a couple things...

1. If you use the quote feature within a post it will only allow you to C&P a paragraph into the post. In other words, you can paste 5 paragraphs into the quote pop-up box, but the system will truncate all but the first paragraph. To get around this you have to C&P the balance of the other paragraphs into the body of the post (i.e. in between the bracketed quote BBcodes).

2. If you use the "quote" feature in responding to an entire post (i.e. quoting the whole post) then the whole post should show up. However, in order to reply with a line-item response, you will need to break up the OP by adding quotation boxes using hand-entered BBCode (i.e. bracket, backslash "quote" close-bracket) and then type your response to that section. At the beginning of the next OP section you will need to insert bracket, "quote", close bracket. Then scroll down and do the backslash version at the end of the next section you want to quote, insert your reply and repeat.

I'd type all this out for you, but if I did that the system would think I was giving it BBCode instructions and you wouldn't see it properly (because the system would try to execute the commands I was typing as an example).

Hopefully this make sense.

Here's a hint...if you see a post which resembles what you are trying to do, hit the "quote" feature (which will bring up the post in an edit format) and look at the formatting of the text and BBCode carefully. You will see what's going on, and then just use similar BBCode instructions in the replies you want to line-item reply to.

edit on 1/27/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
example failed

edit on 1/27/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: BBCode example failed

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Compose it offline first... Cut n paste into ATS.... Doing that for years...and just don't compose in our box... You will also never lose something you've worked hard on.

The quotes will be there when pasted.

MS

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Thanks for all the answers. You may laugh but it seems all a bit too technical for me. I will read through it again slowly and hopefully understand. Thing is it all used to work fine for me up until recently.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Perhaps that will help?

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
Thanks for all the answers. You may laugh but it seems all a bit too technical for me. I will read through it again slowly and hopefully understand. Thing is it all used to work fine for me up until recently.
The nested quotes used to appear maybe 5 years ago but it was about 3 years ago or so they stopped appearing on ATS due to some coding changes.

Other than that nothing has changed that I can see and when I look at your posts they seem to be displaying as they are supposed to, but maybe not the way you wanted them to because you don't understand how bbcode works.

ATS doesn't want us to quote people's entire post, unless maybe if it's really short that's ok. We are supposed to "trim quotes" so if someone writes 4 paragraphs we are only supposed to quote the 1 paragraph that's relevant to our reply, and not the other 3 paragraphs.

new topics

top topics

join