It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remington Arms Quality: What the Hell is Going On?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

An unsupported chamber, a bore obstruction, a split case, or an out of battery detonation can all cause a weapon to explode.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

There is a general quality trend here regardless of anecdotal exceptions like yours.

I had an 870 for years that, while it never failed mechanically, the finish was so poor that rust would build up sitting in my closet for a week. I live in the desert with little moisture in the air. This is something I would expect out in the Midwest or in coastal regions, but not a hot, dry environment inside a safe with dehumidifiers.

It got to the point where I had to store it in teflon wax lubricant filled bags to prevent the rust from coming back. Finally sold it about 4 years ago and haven't looked back.

I live in AZ and I keep my 870 under my bed and I have never had an issue with rusting or malfunctions. Ill keep mine around for a long time. And my 1100 is prob one of my favorite guns. It helps that I use it a lot out here quail and dove hunting.

But I will agree that this video is alarming. Makes me never want to purchase a handgun from Remington. Ill stick with my Glock and my Sig P238 as my edc"s and my Springfield XDM .40 as my soon to be trade or sale gun.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Same issue with my old 1100. Completely rusted out sitting in a safe while I was away in another state. Ended up selling that too and have not even glanced at another Remington product since. There are many manufacturers in the US that do give a damn about their products so those who don't can just eventually die off.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

WOW

So Remington purchased Marlin without "understanding" what they would get? in reference to specs and the like ........ sounds like an auction .... i'll bid, win and see. Nah, i don't need to see, i just need the Name.

Just WOW

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Yeah, and the terrible thing was, Marlin was a family owned business from the 1870's. Truly an American icon gone to hell. Freedom group sucks.

This book is a must read for firearm enthusiasts.

Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Yes 30 06 but in parts where I from come we just say 308 or 306 .... They we target bench shooting and were having a hard time hitting the center of the target . Mom was a better shot then the men and they knew it ans so got her to try . Not sure that it was a blocked barrel though as they had boiled it down to a bad box of ammo and Mom may have got a real hot load .

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

My daughter hunts with a late 80's model 7 6mm (she's 11, killed first deer with it @ 9 yrs old). It's a fantastic rifle. I can hit a quarter with it at 200 yds off handed. It's the only Remington I now own, out of a few dozen firearms. In 2007 Remington was bought and everything the produce is shot ever since. Even models that were produced before and after have deteriorated in quality.
edit on 25-1-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

That's exactly my point. Which is why I asked, "What the hell is going on?"

Remington has lost its quality and whoever is leading over there doesn't seem to care at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

A made in Japan Browning BLR is worlds apart from what a Marlin is. The fit and finish, the quality of the wood, smoothness of action... The checkering on the Browning is first class. I looked at the five Marlins the store had in stock, picked the best one. The checkering is like a blind man with a butterknife cut it while it was raining.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I had a Browning BBR in .270 Win for a while. I miss it. It was a fantastic rifle.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yep, but a Wetherby Vangaurd made in Japan kicks ass. Don't blame the Japs.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Yep, but a Wetherby Vangaurd made in Japan kicks ass. Don't blame the Japs.

Have a Weatherby here. IIRC, they are made in the same plant in Japan that the Brownings are. ooops, wrong, Miroku Japan for the Brownings, Howa Japan for the Weatherbies.
It's the Marlins that suffer the QA/QC problems, the Made in America firearm.
edit on 25-1-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Boils down to a bunch of bankers who are not gun people bought it in order to make money, not firearms. I've read specifics about things they have chosen to do, but haven't cared to remember them.i remember a particular article going into a bit of detail and will try to locate it. Easy fix, sell gun, buy a new one. Ef'em.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more, even their sporting guns like the supposed replacement for the 870 express ...the 887 12 guage suffered all kinds of misfires, accidental fires etc..and had a massive recal a couple years ago.

I thankfully only have one non recalled 12 ga. Oll never buy another new build.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Thanks for reminding me of the Rem. 700 trigger problems. I read about it around a year ago but didn't follow up on it then. Sure enough, the rifle I purchased around 3 years ago is under recall so I contacted Remington to schedule the repairs. A pain to even have to even fool with it now but they do make it simple to send in to the factory. Anyone here want to check theirs? Go here. xmprecall.remington.com...

Pictures of the affected and unaffected trigger assembly here. www.guns.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I have moved to Kimber .338, fantastic rifle.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I haven't held their new shotgun, but even from the magazine review i could see the horrible fit and finish. The writer of course didn't point this out in words, but it was there to see. The lines on the stock that flow onto the lines on the receiver, they don't mate up, they're offset. Not what you expect from a fairly expensive, modern firearm.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Absolutely...I bought the thing off a buddy to help him out..terrible sighting i never bothered firing the damn thing and I have my own range...serious let down next to a Kimber or a Ruger etc ol 870s are still good though

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

It's the damn freedom group.

Robert Nardelli of Chrysler, who Cerberus Capital Management installed as the CEO about two years before that company filed for bankruptcy. As you likely know if you are reading Guns.com, Cerberus Capital Management owns Freedom Group, a gun making conglomerate that owns several popular brands of US firearms, chiefly Remington Arms and Bushmaster Firearms.

What many people don’t remember however is that after the stunt he pulled in D.C. while begging for taxpayer dollars, Nardelli was given a CEO position at Remington for a couple months in 2012 before distancing himself from Cerebus, but not before he drastically changed Remington’s operations.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

For sure, I initially misread some of your post. I did have a Marlin that my dad owned for decades and gave to me. I subsequently gave it to my brother a few years back, and it is a very good rifle. I never had a single problem with it. It is beautiful, it is balanced perfectly and it is very accurate out to 150 Yds. Dad bought it new in the '50's. I wouldn't buy one manufactured today.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join