It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remington Arms Quality: What the Hell is Going On?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
MAC did a review of the NEW Remington RP9 striker fired pistol and it did NOT do well.

Once again Remington Arms can't build a gun. If you were thinking about buying an RP9, don't. Just like the R51 continues to be a disaster, so is the new full size RP9. Just another reason to abandon Remington. Between their refusal to acknowledge safety issues in the 700 series rifles, the disaster that was and continues to be BOTH iterations of the R51, and now this abject POS, there is no longer a reason why Remington should be supported by the market any further.

Honestly, don't buy Remington. It is becoming VERY obvious that they no longer care about quality. These problems are not limited to these models either. The Remington R1 1911 is a giant piece of overly expensive garbage. Remington has a 20 year track record of quality control issues that have been covered up, putting the safety of their customers at risk. They're so caught up with making products available for display at SHOT and the NRA Annual Meeting for publicity that they simply don't care anymore if their products work.

Guns, for the law abiding, are a tool of defending one's life. Remington is putting lives at risk by releasing garbage weapons. You'd be better off with a Hi-Point C9.
edit on 25 1 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Is it because of poor workmanship or poor design?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

If you watch the video it's both. Shotty engineering and poor QC is apparent here.

I'd be more willing to cut Remington slack if they didn't have a consistent record of flops and covered up safety issues.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Quality Control or Quality Assurance? two different things

Not knowing Remington in the UK at all apart from shaving units (microscreen i think it was called) way back in the 70's or 80's, do you have any examples of the "Quality Control" issues so i can review.

edit on 2017-01-25T15:21:49-06:002017Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:21:49 -0600bWednesday2101America/Chicago173 by corblimeyguvnor because: not microblade, microscreen .... found the Ad and included

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I'd argue a little of both.

When you make money the reason you need to work and not because you like what you do and have a passion for it, then you have people who goto work just to get paid, they don't focus on quality they focus on when it's time to quit.

Then you have CEOs or even those under them, who's job rests on the speed it takes to get a new product out into the wild, you will have products being short tracked and corners cut.

Combine the two and you have a recipe for crap.

Welcome to the future, where everything from airliners to medical devices are built by people who don't care too much about what they are doing but when they can stop doing it and go watch some more entertainment until they have to go do that stuff they don't want to again.

Talk with your wallet is all I can say.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

I gave several.

The R51, The new RP9, the safety issues that went to lawsuit on the R700 series rifles, and R1 1911.

A cursory google search or YouTube scrub would reveal consistent examples.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

but, but, but, it's Made In America!

The worst was when they bought Marlin a few years back, fired the entire staff, moved production and proceeded to ruin all of Marlins fine firearms with shoddy workmanship.

Stay away from Freedom Group until they can get their act together. They did just change their guarantee to a lifetime warranty, step in the right direction.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Hi-Point offers a lifetime warranty.

So does SCCY and those are both POS pistols.

If it doesn't perform out of the box it isn't worth the warranty it comes with. Warranties don't matter much when your safety is on the line.
edit on 25 1 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Thanks

My first thought it was Manufacturing Quality Control Issues (My interest), looks like they could be Design Issues (Not my Forte) although both can be, and should be linked or certainly detected during audit and testing stages of the manufacturing process

But, and this is what makes me laugh ...... the guys responsible for manufacturing, in my experience, will say ............ it meets specification (Design specification ...... the blueprint, not the design intent ..... fire bullets safely)

edit on 2017-01-25T15:35:58-06:002017Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:35:58 -0600bWednesday3501America/Chicago173 by corblimeyguvnor because: design intent added

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I love my Remington shotguns and my one Remington rifle. I currently have an 870 and an 1100. 870 is my home defense and the 1100 is my bird gun. I also have a Remington 700 chambered in .308. I love them. I don't own any of their handguns though. So can't really comment there. I have never had an issue with any of my Remington's though.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

My first thought it was Manufacturing Quality Control Issues (My interest)

When Remington purchased Marlin, they fired the staff closed the New Haven plant and fired up production in New York and Kentucky. They soon found themselves with issues, the firearms Marlin had been making had been in production for so long that the plans were from another era. They no longer had the long time staff that had been making these firearms and proceeded to go it alone. Total disaster. Quality has improved of as of late, but I'd not recommend Marlin, there are still issues.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

Quality Control or Quality Assurance? two different things

Not knowing Remington in the UK at all apart from shaving units (microscreen i think it was called) way back in the 70's or 80's, do you have any examples of the "Quality Control" issues so i can review.

Well that Remington was crap' I tried one and it cut the face off you. They may have done better with the Phillishave copy they ripped off Phillips in Holland.
edit on 25-1-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

Initially, the R-51 problems were blamed on a rush to production... but it is obvious now that there is much more to the problem than that.
I wish the R51 worked.... I would buy one if it worked.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

There is a general quality trend here regardless of anecdotal exceptions like yours.

I had an 870 for years that, while it never failed mechanically, the finish was so poor that rust would build up sitting in my closet for a week. I live in the desert with little moisture in the air. This is something I would expect out in the Midwest or in coastal regions, but not a hot, dry environment inside a safe with dehumidifiers.

It got to the point where I had to store it in teflon wax lubricant filled bags to prevent the rust from coming back. Finally sold it about 4 years ago and haven't looked back.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Understand, seen that happen before many times. Thankfully for me, not in a safety critical industry like Firearms

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Yea they bought Marlin and it seems that "Marlin" rifles are now suffering from QC issues.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

The Marlin lever action here has been back to Marlin TWICE and it still doesn't function correctly.

But when Remington purchased Marlin in 2007, problems quickly surfaced with Marlin’s manufacturing model. While Marlin prided itself on its family history and hand-made quality, many of the 20th and 21st century metalworking innovations had gone unnoticed by Marlin’s previous owners. In an era of computer aided design and CNC machines, Marlin rifles were still being turned out by hand on 60 year-old machines. According to Remington, conditions in the factory were so appalling that some of the staff had built sheetmetal dams around older pieces of machinery to contain their ever-leaking fluids.

Furthermore, and perhaps most telling, Remington could find no dimensional drawings for any of the firearms being produced. The precise method by which Marlin had been building some of the most popular rifles on earth had literally been passed down from generation to generation without a single pen touching paper. Not surprisingly, the combination of old machinery and a hands-on manufacturing process wasn’t sustainable, and Remington was faced with the task of increasing efficiency in order to keep Marlin rifles in production. The decision was made to abandon the North Haven factory and move production to Ilion, New York and Mayfield, Kentucky, where Marlin production could restart under Remington’s roofs, with some modern provisions aimed at increasing production efficiency.

calibremag.ca...
edit on 25-1-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I was never a big Remington fan despite their good looks .Cant say anything about their pistols as I hunted and stuck with rifles .But mt Mom had a Remington blow up on her . It was my uncles gun ,a 308 or maybe a 306 but she was lucky because she shot right handed and the gun was a left hand bolt . The explosion went away from her . Funny after the fact because she had her hair in a pony tail and the recoil knocked the pony tail off her . She had ringing ears for a few days after too .

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

But mt Mom had a Remington blow up on her . It was my uncles gun ,a 308 or maybe a 306

Almost without fail, a rifle that blows up is a bore obstruction. There is no 306 round, maybe 30-06?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I still have one in archive somewhere, i should dig it out and give it a wirl for old times sake.

Wonder if its worth anything LOL

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join