It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico ready to quit NAFTA if US talks fail

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but:

I have yet to be denied a web dev contract because someone from South America could do it cheaper.

Regardless, they need more opportunities, why we as a country keep ignoring that is beyond me, because it will take a country to solve the issue and placing a wall is more or less a plot from a storyline than a solution.

[sarcasm]Welp, The Colony used walls, guess it will work out for us too. [/sarcasm]

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

I think that the govt in a whole lot of countries is a main issue with the people being in poverty. Unless we go nation build every country around the world, this is going to be a problem.

And let's face it, not all countries want to be Americanized, or is compatible with freedom right now.

why we as a country keep ignoring that is beyond me

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
It used to be main stay for gun fights on main street at noon, as well.

Times change, and policy can change with it, or be consumed by it.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Well the policy has been "free" trade since after the WW II boom, with tariffs being dropped. So should we try a different thing?
I have grown tired of being told that service jobs are as good as manufacturing. BS, and corps are super interested in keeping the 3rd world labor pools open to exploit. NOT hire a worker that has minimum of protections like in the US.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Well the policy has been "free" trade since after the WW II boom, with tariffs being dropped. So should we try a different thing?

We haven't even come close to achieving actual free trade, so it is more than a tad early to state that it is a failure.

I have grown tired of being told that service jobs are as good as manufacturing. BS, and corps are super interested in keeping the 3rd world labor pools open to exploit. NOT hire a worker that has minimum of protections like in the US.

If you have already made your conclusions, as faulty as they are, I doubt any facts will sway you.

I will leave you with this, there will be no major jobs in the manufacturing sector coming back. There will be service jobs for the people that maintain the automation systems, but nothing remotely close to the return of the 'golden years' people have been led to believe.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Well I have the facts in my possession and history is a great guide. What is your idea of free trade

We can make sweeping guesses. Of course automation is going to change the way we work, but we are not there yet. It is coming though, and you (and I) could be 100% right, or 100% wrong or some where in the middle.

No one knows what is going to happen.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter
a reply to: seasonal

IIdenfonso Guajardo said that Mexico would absolutely walk away from the table if the wall is in the deal.

That makes no sense at all.

They are two completely different things.

I don't see any reasons that discussions about a wall to protect against illegal immigration would have any place in discussions about a trade deal, unless Mexico thinks sending illegal immigrants to the U.S. is a chief export of their country.

I'm with the OP on this - I call BS...

It, as in much litigation, will be settled, wall inclusive, unless the demise of the discussions causes Mexico to receive import sanctions by the U.S., which would cripple their economy to the point of eradication.

Perhaps a 51st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th new star on the American Flag before there is a settlement of an agreement?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Well I have the facts in my possession and history is a great guide. What is your idea of free trade?

Zero tariff, equal tax. Something we are still a long ways away from, but until very recently, were making excellent progress towards.

We can make sweeping guesses. Of course automation is going to change the way we work, but we are not there yet.

We have 'been there' for a long time already. We are in the implementation phase, not the R&D or prototype phases.

It is coming though, and you (and I) could be 100% right, or 100% wrong or some where in the middle

No one knows what is going to happen.

Short of us exterminating ourselves, we know exactly what is coming. The only question is whether we accept and adapt or fight against. The inevitable comes regardless.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Agreed,

What does equal tax mean? Does that mean SSI? Does that mean basic worker protections in the areas of safety, environment, and age?

There is nothing wrong with protecting a notions industry. And it is a fine line indeed.

And corp controlled media is pro "free" trade. They are owned by the benefactors.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I don't get it. Trump threatens to leave NAFTA. People applaud. Mexico says they will leave NAFTA. People worry? Countries did trade before NAFTA. They'll do trade after NAFTA.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

What does equal tax mean?

That a given product costs the same regardless of where purchased.

Does that mean SSI? Does that mean basic worker protections in the areas of safety, environment, and age?

Irrelevant. There will be very few workers in the very near future.

There is nothing wrong with protecting a notions industry.

There most certainly is. The full story is just never told. When a nation protects a given industry, they do so by amortizing the costs of that protection across the whole economy of said nation. That gives us a very finite number of industries that can be protected before the cost of protection becomes prohibitive to the whole. As technology moves forward, the number of industries that can be protected diminishes.

And it is a fine line indeed.

This is one I stay away from. Many see the line as so large they can't understand how the others miss it, the others see the line as an almost imperceptible thread.

And corp controlled media is pro "free" trade. They are owned by the benefactors.

Even broken clocks are right, at least twice a day.
edit on 25-1-2017 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Why are they using quitting NAFTA as a threat when Trump himself has considered doing just that?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join