It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DJ RaviDrums: 5 Fast Facts You NEED to Know

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
1. His Father Immigrated to the United States From India

“My father came to America with $8, a one way ticket, for the pursuit of the American dream,” Jakhotia said in an interview with Michaela Pereira this week. “He taught us to work hard and appreciate what it is to be American.”

Jakhotia went on to say that when he was debating whether to perform at the inauguration, he asked his father for advice, and his dad said that being invited was an “incredible, incredible honor” and that it would be a fulfillment of his American dream.

Jakhotia’s father will attending the concert and will be watching his son perform.

2. He Has Played at the Academy Awards & the Superbowl Pre-game Show

Jakhotia has worked both as a DJ and also as a drummer, and he has performed with two bands. The first was Crimson Glory, a progressive metal band that was active from 1979 through 1992. Jakhotia was brought in to replace the band’s original drummer, Dana Burnell, in 1991; he left the band the following year. In addition, Jakhotia was the drummer for the progressive rock band The Last Goodnight, which was active from 2006 through 2008. They released one album, Poison Kiss, in 2007.

One of the biggest stages Jakhotia has had, though, was at the pre-game show of Super Bowl XLII in 2008, where he played with Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson.

3. He Was the Musical Director of a Howie Mandel Show

Howie freakin' Mandela! Dude!

4. He Was a Part of Nintendo’s Infamous E3 2008 Press Conference

The role most people will recognize Jakhotia from, though, is as the drummer in Nintendo’s infamous Wii Music press conference at E3 2008.

That year, Nintendo previewed its upcoming music game, Wii Music, in a demonstration that was immediately ridiculed by fans. Part of that wasn’t because of anything the people onstage were doing; it was more that viewers found the concept of a music game in which all you do is flail the controller around completely ridiculous. Unlike Guitar Hero and Rock Band, Wii Music didn’t involve pressing buttons that corresponded with notes; instead, players simply mimicked the action of playing the given instrument.

Viewers also found humor in the contrast between Ravi Jakhotia’s incredible enthusiasm and the relatively uninteresting gameplay.

Gamers still make reference Nintendo’s 2008 press conference as one of the most cringeworthy in history, and dozens of memes and gifs from it are still used on social media to this day. A Google image search of the term “Wii Music E3” turns up nine images of Ravi Jakhotia just within the first three rows.

5. He Says He Wanted to Bring Some Diversity to the Inauguration

When asked by the Tampa Bay Times if he is a Democrat or a Republican, Jakhotia said, “I really can’t get into the political side of it. My beliefs are, it’s time for America to come together. Trump will be president, and that’s it.”

He also says that part of the reason he accepted the invitation was because he saw it as an opportunity to bring diversity to the inauguration ceremony.

“I could have chosen to boycott and stay invisible, or to stay visible, and I thought there was more benefit to someone that looks like me sharing that stage and performing for the American people,” he said in an interview with Michaela Pereira.

heavy.com...

Not to mention I already like this guy 1 million times more than Toby Keith.

edit on 19-1-2017 by Lysergic because: lnky

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
So the father was an illegal?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Is there a point to this thread? Who is this dude?

I have no idea who that is and I've been getting along just fine. Why do I NEED to know any of this?

Apologies if this thread went over my head (as it's been a long day and I may or may not be firing on all cylinders).

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Sweet, another Lysergic thread.

This video...

What the hell were they thinking?

That year, Nintendo previewed its upcoming music game, Wii Music, in a demonstration that was immediately ridiculed by fans. Part of that wasn’t because of anything the people onstage were doing; it was more that viewers found the concept of a music game in which all you do is flail the controller around completely ridiculous.

LOL

Leave it to freak'n Nintendo!!

edit on 19-1-2017 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
So the father was an illegal?

America does have a rather robust legal immigration system.

Maybe this year we can get back to it instead of the invasion of undocumented Democrats.

To the OP, more power to him! I was familiar with the Wii Music E3 disaster but didn't know anything more about him than the meme. Now I have to go listen to The Last Goodnight.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I wondered who he was.

Now I know. Thanks.

Good for him.

He ain't got nuttin on Toby, tho.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

I have no idea who that is and I've been getting along just fine. Why do I NEED to know any of this?

Apologies if this thread went over my head (as it's been a long day and I may or may not be firing on all cylinders).

Because he's a performer that wasn't afraid to play at the Inauguration.

As opposed to the performers that were.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreyScale

originally posted by: eluryh22

Because he's a performer that wasn't afraid to play at the Inauguration.

As opposed to the performers that were.

Gotcha.

Thanks.

I'm actually surprised that I'd never heard of the Wii fiasco (because even though they NEVER live up to their potential, I'm still a Nintendo guy at heart............ except the Atari 2600.....
Best.... console.... EVER!)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: GreyScale

You don't really immigrate legally with $8 to your name, do you know for a fact he was legal or not?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Never heard of him. Five facts I don't really need to know. But thanks anyway.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

8 Dollars went a lot further back then.

That was like almost half the equivalent of a small loan of a million dollars!

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Sweet, another Lysergic thread.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Maybe if the guy emigrated somewhere in the 1700s, because at a 2.88% inflation rate 8 dollars 100 years ago are like 200ish bucks
edit on 19-1-2017 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Thanks for giving me a bunch of facts about some brown guy I didn't need to know. EVEN THOUGH I CLICKED ON THE THREAD! Wasting my time............

Oh! he's a Trump supporter. Carry on.

edit on 19-1-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Wow thats "great".

Can he hook me up with some money?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Much delight! Such awesome! Super wow!

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Why do I "need" to know this again? I was getting through life just fine. I must have missed the life changing, epiphany inducing information in this thread.

Or was it click-bait title? If so, well played - it worked on me!

Edit to add: Why not just post the link rather than copy pasting the article in its entirety to ATS? Why would someone do that?
edit on 19-1-2017 by RandyMoskovich because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: RandyMoskovich

Are you sure you can make these questions whitout waiting for phage approved info on the subject?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

That was like almost half the equivalent of a small loan of a million dollars!

Well maybe the Fed should have thrown a few of those $8 tranches to bail out those crooks on Wall ST instead of the billions

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Geez, some seriously irritable people replying to this thread! I don't know if it's just because of the thread title (...NEED to know) or what, but the negative response to the thread, at least on the first page, was as if Lysergic had punched you all in your lady parts!

Relax guys. Reeeee....laaaaax.

Thanks for the interesting thread Lysergic. Sorry you ran into so much pre-MAN-stural syndrome here!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join