It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any woodworkers out there?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If so do you have a sense of humour? I am a member of a popular facebook group for chatting about all aspects of woodworking and decided to make a bit of a joke thinking it would be fun.

There is a lot of debate at the moment about a product from a company called Kreg who make a pocket hole jig for joining wood together. Some people think it is great and rave about it while others say it is a bit crap and not real woodworking.

So thinking it would raise a few smiles I made a post saying,

"Pocket holes are a lot like Ďonald Trump, you either love em or hate em, everyone agrees they look damn ugly and although it seems like a good idea now you have a sneaky suspicion that it's all going to fall apart in less than a year"

WOW did I get some heat! People swearing at me, demanding I was banned from the group and alsorts!

I even had threats of violence verging on the levels of death threats!

I know Trump is a big thing from the discussions here but man did a lot if folks get overly agressive, one guy was threatening violence notbecause of Trump but because he really liked pocket holes and was iinsulted by them bieng compared to DT?

Utter madness, I forget the moderation here sometimes

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I can see why they were pissed.
How your mind made a ridiculous connection from woodworking to Trump is baffling and somewhat disturbing.
People usually get hobbies in order to avoid nonversations regarding politics.

An honest mistake.

edit on 19-1-2017 by Swizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Political drama added to facebook drama?

You were asking for it

Chill out, calmly delete your account, and live life without all the drama.
You'll be better off without it.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm chuckling imagining all of these people getting so offended about a joke that in reality is a pretty damn good joke.

Then I'm a little mortified that, people actually, get that mad and worked up about a joke.

But, I already experienced one of those people today so should I really be so shocked?

Lol

If its any consolation, I laughed with ya

-Alee

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

It's possibly because people are tired of politics getting drug into everything else in there lives.

In comparison to other jokes I've heard recently yours was relatively good natured, but still, sometimes people want to just talk about woodworking.

I for one and pretty tired of hearing everyone's opinions on both sides. Went to petco to buy dog food yesterday, was in there for less than 5 min, still had to hear some guys opinion on trumps latest cabinet pick. But free speech is free for everyone, my choice is to walk away.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I work in a cabinet shop. Your joke made me giggle! I got it but not all forums are into talking about politics.
Especially wood working forums. You know how serous those guys are.

edit on 19-1-2017 by sassymcsnickerson because: addition

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

i has to ask - whats your groups opinion on " biscuit cutters " ?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I have pieces that are joined correctly with pocket screws that are many years old with no problems. They are only ugly when you drill the hole in the wrong exposure. Lake anything else, done right they work well.

Like trump. We are not going to know how he works out until he is installed. Nuff said.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I dare not ask now it is facebook and my picture and rough location is there. Some of them got pretty serious with the threats and as woodworkers we are all tooled up pretty good

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
F#cking facebook,

Just the thought of having a account and every anal pleb I ever spoke to having access to every aspect of life brings me out in a cold sweat.

Moronic place for mostly moronic behaviour, arguments, spit balling, feuds and pack mentality, the list goes on and on.

How many relationships ended because of that place? how many stupid people are in prison because of that place?? (Maybe for the best??)..

Back in the day it was great for wanking over your wifes friends holiday pics, now its a place for self obsessed nutcases all hell bent on out doing each other..

Maybe I am just old??

As for woodworking nope I know bugger all, went onto make stuff in Carbon, way easier to over charge as it still holds a certain "want value" but that is for another thread..

RA

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Carpenters, they're the snowflakes of the Construction industry.

Plasterers and brickies wouldn't have understood it if you had applied the analogy to their favourite branded trowel though.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swizzle

I can see why they were pissed.
How your mind made a ridiculous connection from woodworking to Trump is baffling and somewhat disturbing.
People usually get hobbies in order to avoid nonversations regarding politics.

An honest mistake.

It wasn't a mistake.

It was nonspecific doing what nonspecific does.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: calwoodbutcher

Like trump. We are not going to know how he works out until he is installed. Nuff said.

True dat.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have the Kreg system in my shop. It is all right for some things but not for others. I have a buiscuit joiner system, but I also use the dowels on some stuff once in a while. The right tool for the right job is crucial

That also applies to Trump, it is necessary to choose the right solution and the Democratic version of fixing things was not good this time. Why would a normal person discuss politics in a place like that. I have a real lot of woodworking tools yet I do not bring that up in a conspiracy site.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I have the Kreg system in my shop. It is all right for some things but not for others. I have a buiscuit joiner system, but I also use the dowels on some stuff once in a while. The right tool for the right job is crucial

That also applies to Trump, it is necessary to choose the right solution and the Democratic version of fixing things was not good this time. Why would a normal person discuss politics in a place like that. I have a real lot of woodworking tools yet I do not bring that up in a conspiracy site.

apart from now of course?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: rickymouse

apart from now of course?

Well, you asked.
Your lucky I didn't start listing all the stuff and make most guys drool.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I have thought we could do with a little workshop here to discuss that kind of thing?

we could do it politely like adults and noone would get death threats...

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

So really you could care less about woodworking and you have just found another forum as a platform to troll and make jokes about our soon to be president. Then you came here to let everybody know how good you are at trolling. You really showed them. Stay classy
edit on 19-1-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Haha that's actually a pretty funny joke. Trump supporters love to threaten violence on people that don't agree with them, get used to it.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Haha that's actually a pretty funny joke. Trump supporters love to threaten violence on people that don't agree with them, get used to it.

He trolled his politics into a forum set aside for woodworking. But you're gonna blame all trump supporters for taking the bait?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join