It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Have a Song that Saved your Life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Before I begin...a little brief about me. I have never posted in this forum (Religion, Faith, And Theology) and I don't know if this is where this belongs. If not...please feel free to move this.

I don't often do this, but some recent events have given me reason to put this out there. You see...I, like many others here have fallen upon hard times, awful times that could have consumed us, or left us for dead. Drugs, alcohol or worse. Times when we were being tested by "something" and while many of us have fallen and drifted away, some of us have persevered.

I went through such a time about ten years ago. I'm not proud of it but I am proud of surviving it. For me...it was a time when I realized that the suicide I wanted only disappeared when I realized...no one cared anymore. The only one who wanted me...was me.

As petty as it may seem, it was a song...well...actually an album that changed my perspective. The band is Savatage and the song is Believe. Yeah...it touches on religion but not in an arrogant or preachy manner. But over the last ten years while rebuilding my life...I find myself pausing and giving some credit to a simple little song that made a huge difference to me.

So here...again...I am posting this in it's original format, performed by Savatage, then by the Trans-Siberian Orcherstra and finally as the entire concept album by Savatage entitled Streets. For anyone that may benefit from the same medicine that helped me, many years ago.

Savatage Original Version

Trans-Siberian Orchestra Version

Savatage - Streets (Concept Album)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
You can find the lyrics to the entire Streets album here: Lyrics

Here is the video for "A Little Too Far"

"Saint Patricks"

"Tonight He Grins Again"

"Heal My Soul"

"If I Go Away"

edit on 1/19/2017 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
10 years ago i was homeless, alone, and addicted to drugs. 2 years on the streets and i became suicidal. What i missed the most was music. The only song i knew every word to was.....Nautical Disaster by The Tragically Hip. I could sing it to myself and it kept me going. Great song if you want look it up on YouTube. Im a total Canadian eh' lol

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Beatnixx1414
10 years ago i was homeless, alone, and addicted to drugs. 2 years on the streets and i became suicidal. What i missed the most was music. The only song i knew every word to was.....Nautical Disaster by The Tragically Hip. I could sing it to myself and it kept me going. Great song if you want look it up on YouTube. Im a total Canadian eh' lol

I will look that up. And...no reason to apologize for being Canadian...we all have our faults

Seriously though...I wanted a guitar for Christmas when I was six years old, and got it. My Mother made me take lessons under the threat of losing the guitar. She has since passed but had said "When the whole world lets you down, you will have this". She was right. And to this day, music is a member of my family.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have found that music, as a musician or even just a participant is a powerful emotion. It is something beyond an experience. There is much more to it than...for example...seeing something beautiful. It is somehow part of us all. Yeah...some music may be painful, but in general...I believe it is something unique to us. I don't understand how exactly...but it is special.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This one, because it makes the rest if you more interesting:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

edit on 1/19/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: no. too vulnerable.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

edit on 1/19/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Breaking the Habit - Linkin Park

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

edit on 1-19-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Music speaks to each of us in a different way, but mostly with the same results. Uplifting of the spirit, soul, and attitude.
I once found myself in a very dark place. My world was in tatters. I was actually in Waikiki, but I had just came through a very tragic experience in Mexico with the violent death of a friend and was suffering from PTSD.
While wondering the streets one night on a self destructive path, I heard the music of Billy Joel, Jon Bon Jovi, and Springsteen blasting from top of a Banyan tree. I followed the music up the steps and into Coconut Willy's Bar. Long story short, I found relief and the beginning of healing for a banged up spirit.
edit on 20-1-2017 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

This one comes in handy in a pinch. Hang in there, folks.

top topics

join