It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's no mental illness

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   

I agree to an extent that "mental illness" is over diagnosed to the point that many who beleive they have some form of mental illness have simply been coerced by clever marketing and deceptive practices seeking monetary gain. But there are measures in imbalances of brain chemistry. These are essentially scientific measurements and variables of certain hormones and things like serotonin and dopamine are commonly known, as well as a handful of other things. It has also been documented that external stimulation to reduce or increase the natural levels have effects on mood and behavior.

Yes, there is a certain range that your brain chemicals and hormones should be in. Healthy diet, nutrition, exercise, and social support can help achieve this.

So with that in mind, most extreme mental illnesses and the standard $$ scrip treatable ones are a result of our body being exposed to some kind of element or pollution that has an effect on our natural levels. What about people who have whatever natural levels of these hormones and brain chemicals, but are still violently psychotic? Can those people be considered mentally ill?

Yes, there are currently many environmental concerns with our "civilized" activities. I have made a thread about problems over our food and water supply. There are other concerns with ozone depletion and green house gasses. Clean sustainable development, restructuring our grid, GMO's, better filtration processes are necessary to solve these problems.

I was in juvenile detention for 21 days once, and in that time I met a larger but seemingly mild mannered kid. He enjoyed eating glass, and had to be in a room by himself for whatever reason for extra guard. He eventually smuggled a loose staple from an office evaluation back to his room. He tried to cut himself open with it in the shower and then retreated into is room completely exposed and started a game of try to break in with the guards. It took them a minute, he really was a big kid. He had shat all over and smeared it everywhere.

Honestly at the time I was a jerk and found it all amusing. In hindsight, I feel bad for the tortured soul, and wonder what drives someone to that level of behavior. Clearly if there is a clear cut case of someone being mentally ill, wouldn't that fit the bill??

That's suicidal behavior. I don't know what happened to him to lead to that however it is sad. Even though there is no mental illness do understand that psych wards and detention centers are used for people that are a harm to themselves or others.
edit on 18-1-2017 by supermilkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

The medicine is directly linked to health complications and even brain damage.

Medicine should only be used as anesthesia for surgery or procedures. Other medicine to regulate a person from heart attacks, shock, or flat lining.

Psychiatric medicine has no value. In fact many of them are narcotics and have been found to be pharmacologically related to opiates and even mescaline.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Normal is 1. Industry, 2. Education, 3. Agriculture.

Snap out of the combat mode.

When sharks stop swimming, they stop being sharks.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

A moral compass is key to avoiding violence. You don't attack anyone unless someone provokes you first.

This has helped me with my line of thinking: trust nobody, love few, paddle your own canoe.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: supermilkman

Cute like I have a choice.
I'm an artist and I can't sell as a result.
How have YOU handled PTSD?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Everyone deals with trauma. Everyone has skeletons/mistakes in their closet. All you can do is try to make your situation better.

I recommend getting into construction for you. If you still have any VA benefits then see if you can go to school and get a certification.

Also according to a Navy recruiting survey, the number one thing enlistees were rated wanting was to feel important. A lot of depression and social malaise stems from one not feeling important enough.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Malaria is a parasitic infection. It is a physical disease.

Mental illness labels are abstract. There is no physical evidence for mental illness.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I am a desert Storm army scout with all the bells and whistles NOT any squid.
What are your credentials?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Nice Kenada avatar, by the way.

Psychology isn't just about labeling. So even if you took away the monikers of mental health, they would still serve a function. The alternative would be, I guess, just addressing traits individually? But what if you commonly see a certain combination of traits often enough to be more than a coincidence? Wouldn't you then want to label it for no other reason than to find out if it is correlation vs causation at the root?

Essentially, that's how most mental illnesses are denoted; just a bunch of traits that are found together often enough to defy probability.

Maybe the answer to the issue is to just "rebrand" it. But categorizing behaviors into groups (essentially what mental illness is) should always be a thing.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Don't even want to talk about it. Trust me.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

You're right, sometimes this labeling is used to determine outcomes or sets of behavior/modes of thinking.

I still don't believe in mental illness or agree much with the established system. I support more transevolution psychology that the current mental health system doesn't acknowledge.

If anything the Akira movie is about human potential and evolution. That's why I have the avatar. Not to the point of blurring reality with fantasy but I appreciate it's themes.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I think the problem with ANY mental health issue is once YOU have it it's impossible to make money if you're poor.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   

You should research Raelianism by the way. It could solve many of the world's problems.

I don't know about you, but I don't support politicians and their proxy wars.

My third industrial revolution thread has suggestions for hydrogen fuel cell, restructuring our grid, renewable biofuel made from algae, 16 hour work weeks, more automated industry, electric vehicle, clean sustainable energy development, synthetic meat and plant-protein, verticle farming, and other solutions that will actually improve our situation instead of all of these unnecessary conflicts.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Yes, sometimes the mental illness label ostracizes you from gaining future employment. Some people who hit rock bottom will never come out of it.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I spent my health on Desert Storm.
ALL I have left for skills is this...

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Sorry but duality is archaic thinking.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

You're right to say that all mental health issues are behavioral, but you're wrong to think the psyche is not, itself, a thing of behavior.

You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

Edit: The soul (the psyche) is the will (spirit / behavior) of conception.
edit on 1/18/2017 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
wow, all these years, all i needed was a carrot and happy thoughts!

thanks doc ATS!

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Most people that think they're good, really aren't good.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

Yes you can have psyche issues but it more than likely stems from society itself. Watch this video about Maria Orsic. She was a pacifist and wanted free energy technology to allow people to live for free but the Nazi party wanted to create weapons out of them.

Many of our wars actually revolved around oil. The military is a cleverly disguised depopulation program.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join