It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorist liability introduced in response to pipeline protests

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Diisenchanted

And people still don't believe the US is descending to tyranny despite evidence for all to see.

(post by bigdaddycruel6699 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

That's not it at all. Being an expert in close quarters combat, I know that it is not about eventuality, it's about potentiality.

Any physical encounter, can EASILY turn lethal. To properly defend yourself, it is sometimes necessary to ensure that a potential threat is neutralized as quickly and easily as possible.

Our experience with these protesters has shown us that it can quickly become a threat of grievous bodily harm and or death to drivers who get caught up in it.

Legislation like this is simply a reaction to a reality as shown by these protesters. NOT being allowed to continue through a group of protesters like this stopped in the middle of the road creates an atmosphere where personal protection becomes a moot point. There is nothing most people can do to protect themselves from the whim of 30 or more people. The best route to protect the innocent is to make it clear to the illegal protesters (Yes, blocking traffic during a protest IS illegal), that drivers CAN and WILL drive right through them to protect themselves from the potential of the protesters going off on them.

personally, I believe that there should be provisions in the law of speed limits to go through the protester lines. 15 mph is fast enough to get through them while reducing the risk of injury and giving protesters the opportunity to get out of the way if they choose to.

There should also be provisions that any protesters who FAIL to get out of the way be responsible for any damages incurred to the vehicles that are forced to drive through them.

Personally, if put in one of these situations, I would rather drive through them (even without the legislation) and take my chances on convincing a jury of the necessity than put my life at the whim of crazy ass protesters.

Jaden

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
the only thing that surprises me about this is that it isn`t already a law, if someone is killed or dies while committing a crime then that`s just one of the risks you accept when you choose to break the law.

if you aren`t willing to accept the risk of being hit and killed by a car while attempting to criminally obstruct a motorway then don`t do it.Stay out of the road while you are doing your protesting and you`ll live to protest again another day.

It`s stupid to expect the law abiding people to bear the burden of making sure criminals remain safe while they are committing their crimes.we shouldn`t even need a law like this it should go without saying and be understood that if you accidently kill or injure a criminal while he is committing a crime that it is the criminal who bears full responsibility for his injuries or death.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

I've been a black belt in TKD since age 11 and researched and practiced Wing Chun and Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet June Do since I was 13.

I've had to use it to defend myself and others in reality.

I can tell you that never was I taught to hit someone with a vehicle. If my family is in the car, I will navigate. People are not zombies.

But by myself, my life isn't more important than their own, and I could get out without killing someone, in any case.

Assuming they're only protestors and not rifles that are in front of me.

In a war zone, what you say has a little more application. This is the United States and there is no war here. Irresponsible protestors do not deserve to die for standing in the middle of the road.

And if it just so happens that a time comes when protesting to that degree becomes necessary against a truly tyrannical government, setting the kind of legal precedent that allows for the indiscriminate murder of protestors would only empower that evil in the future.

Self defense capabilities do not demand a reason to use them, but rather a way to avoid using them. Neutralizing the situation may mean holding the bigger gun, but don't actually use it. Gain tempo, not points.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
im all for it..

stand in the middle of the street or highway...

win a darwin award

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: Rookseven

... I'm pretty sure the law would already support my decision to protect myself from a group of people trying to stop traffic. Castle laws already allow you to use deadly force to stop carjackings.

Being stopped due to the road being blocked and a car jacking are not necessarily the same.
How are you supposed to know the difference? Should i wait till they drag me out of my broken window and start kicking my skull in? I'm pretty sure the law will side with you if you don't want to take the chance. I'm not one of those people who believe that all human life is sacred. I am also not talking about a group who is not encircling your car, throwing rocks, or placing hands on your car. At that point, i am not rolling down my window, i am stepping on the gas. I recommend the same for anyone caught in a similar situation. Protestors are not allowed to impede traffic or business in any way. If they step outside of approved forms of protest, they are no longer protestors and have become a danger to themselves and the entire community.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

A group of protesters in the road is pretty obvious. A single carjacker is usually not so obvious, by design. Most likely, I would either know about the protest ahead of time from the news, or I would be able to see a bunch of people in the road before I even get close enough to them for anything "bad" to happen. Either way, one would have to be pretty dense to just keep driving towards a bunch of people blocking a road, similar to being dense enough to attempt to keep driving down a road that has been closed due to an accident. There's always an alternative route.

My husband has an app on his phone that allows him to see real-time traffic jams. He always checks that app - if he sees a jam where the cars aren't moving, he plans another route. Simples.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
a reply to: Masterjaden

I've been a black belt in TKD since age 11 and researched and practiced Wing Chun and Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet June Do since I was 13.

I've had to use it to defend myself and others in reality.

I can tell you that never was I taught to hit someone with a vehicle. If my family is in the car, I will navigate. People are not zombies.

But by myself, my life isn't more important than their own, and I could get out without killing someone, in any case.

Assuming they're only protestors and not rifles that are in front of me.

In a war zone, what you say has a little more application. This is the United States and there is no war here. Irresponsible protestors do not deserve to die for standing in the middle of the road.

And if it just so happens that a time comes when protesting to that degree becomes necessary against a truly tyrannical government, setting the kind of legal precedent that allows for the indiscriminate murder of protestors would only empower that evil in the future.

Self defense capabilities do not demand a reason to use them, but rather a way to avoid using them. Neutralizing the situation may mean holding the bigger gun, but don't actually use it. Gain tempo, not points.

Tae Kwon Do & Whing Chun? .. Are you serious? Why should anyone take you seriously about self-defense after that lol?

"But by myself, my life isn't more important than their own"

Well, there you go. Most people feel differently. Personally, I value my life more than anyone else's. People that feel the way you do are known as "marks". Easy to take advantage of for self-gain at your own expense.
edit on 1/18/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
You want to protest..Groovy...just get out of the flippin' road
You want to block the road and stop traffic from getting to their destination....
Great..you made your decision..
But now you are telling me you want me powerless and I should find a non violent solution to my dilemma
O.K. I can play the very same irrational game....
Now I can scream you are in affect holding me "hostage"....see how this game works now ?

JUST GET OUTTA' THE F*KIN' ROAD IDIOTS !

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Can we at least agree that an ambulance has full right of way in protesters face if they obstruct emergency travel?

I see the irony, and I still approve.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Can we at least agree that an ambulance has full right of way in protesters face if they obstruct emergency travel?

I see the irony, and I still approve.

NO..First rule in fight club is each side is responsible for dragging away all of their own side's bloody carcasses !

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
This is ugly. I've been for Trump, but I'm nothing like you. If I start to see most Trump advocates are like this, I'm disassociating from Trump.

Well...there is all that. I seem to recall 'right-wing 'protesters' sighting-in on LEOs, and that was ok because it was freedom of speech or national dick-waving day or some other really, really valid excuse. What does that tell you?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

A close reading only covers you if you are driving at night and accidentally hit someone coming out into traffic to start blocking the lane or if your life is in danger if you stay stopped.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SaloonSal

OK ,but NO MOPS or buffers I'm NOT cleaning that UP!

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
ATTENTION:

This is not the Mud Pit and political trolling or name calling is not allowed. Keep that in mind when posting please.

Do not reply to this.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I love this idea.

If some assclown is standing in the middle of the street whining about some crap they need to be run over. I have personally wanted to crush these fools myself. If you want to protest do it out of traffic or you deserve what you get.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I love this idea.

If some assclown is standing in the middle of the street whining about some crap they need to be run over. I have personally wanted to crush these fools myself. If you want to protest do it out of traffic or you deserve what you get.

So you're for murdering your own countrymen that haven't committed any crimes, and are using their constitutionally protected right to protest... simply because they're an inconvenience to you?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Metallicus

I love this idea.

So you're for murdering your own countrymen that haven't committed any crimes, and are using their constitutionally protected right to protest... simply because they're an inconvenience to you?

Standing in the road blocking traffic IS a crime and is not a Constitutionally protected right. Protesting peacefully in appropriate and designated areas is what you mean to say.

Your rights end where mine begin and impeding the rights of your fellow citizens to travel freely down the road is NOT a right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join