It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human interaction stuff that makes you smile

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I just caught the shop for beer before I had to walk further to the nearest 24 hour shop.
New girl working there, maybe 15 years younger than me, big genuine smile, asked how my day was, I replied with a smile and enjoyed a few seconds of chit chat conversation.

Made the purchase, she put my change in my hand and then cupped it from below with her other hand, softly stroking my knuckles as we let go.
Our eyes smiled at each other and I wished her a beautiful night when it ends.

Earlier on today I had some guy swearing angrily at me while I was working, then he later apologised and offered me his hand to shake, to which I held with my other hand as well and genuinely made friends after he'd explained his head space.
That made me smile as well

Share your smiles here if you like, I can't guarantee my thread management tonight but I'd love to smile at your stories.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Human contact is an odd thing in this crazy world we now live in.

The other week I was in bed and my partners 12 and 13 year old daughters came in and sat on the end of the bed and we were just chatting about stuff and things in a happy Sunday morning kind of way. A little while later she got up to make some toast and I realised that I was sat in a bed with two children and the little buggers had started sneaking under the duvet and were trying to pinch it of of me.

She was chatting to her Mum and she said are you sure that is OK and then we all realised that for some reason now it is not and that is not right.

I would love to show a little more affection but we seem to be living in a world where it is frowned upon and that is sad.

Not a happy story to share I admit but a true one and maybe it is time to shed this silliness.

I blame the government myself.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Love stuff like this, It really makes a whole lot of difference. I live near an old peoples home so I try make an effort to 'be human' to them because it gets boring talking to the same people you have talked to for years, I'm sure.

Few weeks back I was on a full bus in the morning, running late, so it was one that's also used by schoolkids that haven't got a pass for the free bus, and an old dear who usually got on the earlier one got on, so I got my bag and made ready to give her a seat, and was happily surprised that I didn't have to, two of the lads who had been shouting, swearing and blasting tinny music from a phone got up and gave her their seat without even taking the piss out of each other.

Another one is I sometimes have a natter and give smokes to a homeless guy in the city near me, and last year I found out he'd given money to my girlfriend for the bus when the cashpoint ate her card. He didn't know her and when me and her passed a couple months later I stopped to talk and he recognised her, and took the piss. Seems silly but he seemed more happy at giving than receiving.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I know where you are coming from, I had to come home from fishing in the summer cause some kids were having a swim, like I used to when I was a kid. I realised I felt like I was doing something wrong, which sucks cause when I was a kid going swimming nobody said a thing to anyone fishing or walking their dog who stopped to make sure we were safe.

Just isn't worth the hassle now.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hearing couples fight and children cry makes me smile sometimes for some reason.

I'm a bit of a sociopath in that regard.

But I would always be there for someone in need of help if I felt it was within my capability so I'm not all bad.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

I know where you are coming from, I had to come home from fishing in the summer cause some kids were having a swim, like I used to when I was a kid. I realised I felt like I was doing something wrong, which sucks cause when I was a kid going swimming nobody said a thing to anyone fishing or walking their dog who stopped to make sure we were safe.

Just isn't worth the hassle now.

On a happier note I found myself at a holiday park on the Isle of Wight the back end of last year. I will not lie I was a drunken drug addled mess and my mate Ray(his real name lol) was a total liability.

One night we got drunk and I awoke in the morning with memories of him being himself, hugging folks talking # and playing with kids on the arcades he was pretty out of control and I particularly remember him picking this old granny up and swinging her about and having a dead arm competition with a down syndrome kid in his early teens.

I manned up and went into the bar to apologise and I needed a few stiff ones before I could do it and he was hiding in the chalet packing up.

It turned out that everyone loved him and he made their holidays, the old lady said she had not felt so young in 40 years and the down syndrome guys mum and dad cried with happiness and pleaded with us to stay for a few days more so their son could spend more time with us.

We stayed for about a week longer and every time we came into the bar we were met with smiles and joy and had big builder blokes that would normally be all stiff and insecure joining in with group hugs and cuddles.

The down syndrome kid who was just awesome agreed to meet up with us next year and practice his dance moves so we could perform for everybody and I tell you now it felt good.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Oh thanks for the interesting replies!
NS I understand the perceived challenges you describe. Only a son for me but mates with daughters say similar.

Learningman, loving your story

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Sounds a blast, best get your shape throwing in order of the young fella will be showing you up this year

And you wanna be careful with them old dears, worse than 18 year old's when you get a few of em together in a pub.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
For some reason, it always makes me smile when you run into someone and the two of your fall all over each trying to get the other to go first. It's like an excess of politeness, but I like it because there is so little of it.

Or when there is a train of random people all going in or out of a place and everyone just holds the door for the next person. And everyone says, "Thank you!" with a smile.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Something quick that comes to mind is in this small town, one runs into folks they know often and I often run across folks that used to work with me and they always seem genuinely happy to see me and I feel the same.
I was a supervisor, in some fashion, where I work rather quickly so for most of them I was their trainer or supervisor in some capacity.
It makes me feel good that I made what appears to be a positive impact on their lives and being remembered for that.
It feels good to be well liked/respected even when the job requires me to be tough at times.

It makes me happy to make a difference in folks lives.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Making a difference is always good

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Making a difference is always good

Simple things like interacting with you in this thread, for example, can make me happy.

Things we do don't have to be HUGE to make a big impact on other people's lives.

It can be as simple as this or a text or a smile or a wave from across the street...

Folks here wave a lot on little two lane roads as they pass each other, that makes me smile as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

We're singing from the same song sheet

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
For some reason, it always makes me smile when you run into someone and the two of your fall all over each trying to get the other to go first. It's like an excess of politeness, but I like it because there is so little of it.

Or when there is a train of random people all going in or out of a place and everyone just holds the door for the next person. And everyone says, "Thank you!" with a smile.

I always chuckle when you approach someone in a narrow space and both step to the same side to allow each other to pass, then both realise and step to the other side and keep repeating like your having a little dance with a total stranger.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: ketsuko

I always chuckle when you approach someone in a narrow space and both step to the same side to allow each other to pass, then both realise and step to the other side and keep repeating like your having a little dance with a total stranger.

Whoever said "White people can't dance" clearly hadn't walked a mile in their shoes!

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Haha just re-read your post and chuckled because pretty much all the roads I drive here in SW England are little two lane roads!
I wave at people multiple times a day thanking them for stopping to be able to pass lol, get the same back every day as well.

I sometimes give a thumbs up instead with my smile but I get mildly annoyed with snooty folk who do a raised single finger instead of a wave, I flick them a middle finger back.
Yeah, childish I know.

edit on 18.1.2017 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Haha just re-read your post and chuckled because pretty much all the roads I drive here in SW England are little two lane roads!
I wave at people multiple times a day thanking them for stopping to be able to pass lol, get the same back every day as well.

I sometimes give a thumbs up instead with my smile but I get mildly annoyed with snooty folk who do a raised single finger instead of a wave, I flick them a middle finger back.
Yeah, childish I know.

Childish?
Perhaps.
Deserving?
I think yes.

We're singing from the same song sheet

Still curious what song we were singing!

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It's an ever bigger sin on a bike of any kind, even moped chaps have to do the little wave, I'm sure its part of the test. Living in the countryside doesn't get you prepared for the non-humanity of cities, where people actively avoid anything close to human connections like the plague.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The song about strangers being friendly and nice to each other!
If I was musical I'd compose it

There is a guy in my area who walks like Forrest Gump, miles every day around local towns and villages. He never makes eye contact so over the years we've never spoken but I know he recognises me.

Anyway, today I was 5 miles out of town and going his direction so stopped the van and asked if he wanted a lift.
He smiled warmly and said no thanks, then I said we've passed each other most days but never said hello so hiya I'm Tony, offering a handshake.
We shook hands, smiled and went on our ways...His name is Adam, I will say hello again.

Little things but human contact in our screen based world's.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Haha yes!!
On a bike I'll wave at the 16 year old on the scooter moped, or head nod, that is equally acceptable in my parts.

It's the law for bikers ain't it?!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join