It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Says Jail Denied Her Abortion and Forced Her to Give Birth- $1.5 million law suit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

We will see.

See what? It's frivolous.

Can't she just give the child up for adoption if she doesn't want it? Or does she just see dollar signs instead of an infant she housed for 9 months?

Ugh. I once heard someone say that some people have no moral compass--this is a fine example.

edit on 15-1-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

We will see, there is a pending law suit. This could be anything but frivolous.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I may lean conservative but a woman's body is her own. If she wants that lump of cells removed that's her business. Women are not chattel anymore and can make their own decisions how to live their lives. Birth control is not full proof and abortion is an option.

And don't be crude, it's ignorant to say "don't spread your legs".

Maybe we need chastity devices for all men so women won't get pregnant unless they want too. A man's mother can give the bride the key or unlock sequence.

This patriarchal control crap needs to stop.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

Is it not crude and ignorant to say lump of cells?

And you are not conservative on this issue, maybe say social liberal and fiscal conservative?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
If she had the money to pay for it... and the sheriff said no, she has a point... if she wanted the tax payer to foot the bill, then the sheriff was right in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

We will see, there is a pending law suit. This could be anything but frivolous.

All that means is she got a good lawyer, not that it's a legit case

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Correct, but her day in court will come up. We may very well never hear from her again.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Correct, but her day in court will come up. We may very well never hear from her again.

Day in court with a cool million-point-five sitting on the table. We should all be so lucky!

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

My mother wanted to abort me, but it was illegal at that time...thank God. I'm sure this lady's offspring will be thankful to be alive as well. It's ironic that PRISON saved this child's life. Hey, whatever works!

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

If the woman had her own money the article doesn't say so. So why assume she might have? I can only go by what the article says, and it says that the sheriff refused to fund her abortion.

That wasn't really the sheriff's call though, because Tennessee doesn't pay for abortion with public funds except:

Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
www.guttmacher.org...

edit on 15-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I don't like the pro-abortoin/pro-life argument. They pro-aborts like to use terms like "clump/lump of cells", "fetus" and any other term to de humanize the actual killing of a life.

If someone is pro abortion, just say so. You should be able to describe what is happening and call it in non clinical terms. But what do I know.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Is it not crude and ignorant to say lump of cells?

And you are not conservative on this issue, maybe say social liberal and fiscal conservative?

Nope, I just believe no one has a right to tell me what to do with my body. I don't believe in the big daddy in the sky. And no matter how fully formed, it's not human until a soul enters the body sometime after birth.

The only reality is Yin and Yang. You keep reincarnating until you wise up.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Ok let's go with she didn't have the money. It does not say that in the article but what the heck that sounds super duper to me.
The sheriff is going to make it perfectly clear that there is no (zero) money going to jailed women who find themselves preggy, unless it meets the qualifications. He said that because he knows who votes for him and where he is. He isn't in LA or New York.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

OK, I don't agree with you but respect your opinion and would defend your right to say that.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I don't like the pro-abortoin/pro-life argument. They pro-aborts like to use terms like "clump/lump of cells", "fetus" and any other term to de humanize the actual killing of a life.

If someone is pro abortion, just say so. You should be able to describe what is happening and call it in non clinical terms. But what do I know.

It's to ease their conscious. There is "something" inside of all normal people, that tells us right/wrong, from a moral perspective. When someone needs to justify being selfish, they describe their justification in ways that keep them from feeling guilty. It eats at them in other non-conscious, indirect ways, however.
edit on 1/15/2017 by carewemust because: typo

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Yep you nailed it. It eases our conscience to keep everything clean and disconnected. I try to have logical conversations with people about this or oddly enough vegetarianism/vegan. Bad idea.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It makes no sense to force an incarcerated woman to give birth if she wants an abortion. First of all, to argue this on economic grounds is absurd. It's cheaper to pay for her abortion than to pay for her child's basic needs for 18 years plus whatever toll this child may take on society after being raised by a criminal.

To argue this on moral/ethical/religious grounds is ALSO absurd. Even if the woman loses her right to an abortion while incarcerated, the idea that the morality of the warden or the system should supersede that of the inmate in the case of abortion makes little sense to me.

The only thing that does make sense is that the law was apparently vague. Perhaps they need to straighten that out.

edit on 15-1-2017 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

It's to ease their conscious. There is "something" inside of all normal people, that tells us right/wrong, from a moral perspective. When someone needs to justify being selfish, they describe their justification in ways that keep them from feeling guilty. It eats at them in other non-conscious, indirect ways, however.

Or not.

I don't know a single person who LIKES abortion. Most people see it as a necessary evil. I use the term "necessary evil" as a figure of speech to denote something which is unpleasant but required to prevent even more unpleasant results. You, of course, may use the term literally.

Your "something inside" and my "something inside" don't reach the same conclusions. You'll have to accept my apologies for not being the tortured soul you've suggested I should be.
edit on 15-1-2017 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Ok let's go with she didn't have the money. It does not say that in the article but what the heck that sounds super duper to me.

What it does say in the article, is that the sheriff refused to fund the procedure.

edit on 15-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

If you don't have the money to raise a child, don't spread your legs on Sat evening.

So, Sunday morning then?

I prefer to do that sort of thing while other people are at church.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join