It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under Obama the gap between the rich and poor has grown

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It's been growing since the 70s at least. Another case of A Liberal or Conservative manipulating facts to make it seem like the other guys are the bad guys when both parties continue the same trends.

www.cbpp.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DonaldJohnTrump
Rex Tillerson's salary as CEO of Exxon is 24 million in 2016. That's crazy man.
who.are.you??

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: VinylTyrant

I am the 45th president.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I am the 45th president.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: GreyScale

Actually I like your reply. It begins to get to the core of our present problems rather that whine about the short term tool Obama. And yes, did click and respond, just to see if there was any substance other than the regular obamadunit.

And yes, I Include Wilson and FDR and ugg, Johnson in my list. And yes, real capitalism as you call it has been bypassed by this crony stuff or call it what one will. Free enterprise has been stymied for over a century by myopic progressivism yet wasn't progressivism given birth by attempts to control the excesses of monopolists cornering the majority of the economy in the later half of the 19th?

And yes, we can see that other attempts to bring about that utopia have failed miserably at the hands of despots over and over. We should have learned by now that those despots will arise 'in' or 'out' of the capitalist system.

And as much as I understand how the Hegelian Utopia that is aimed at by our progressive brethren is fantasy, we should not forget that most of the images, most of the dreams of what that utopia would be like were presented to us by for profit media. We are all caught up in a wishful dreaming nightmare, left and right alike and pointing the finger at Obama does nothing but exacerbate the ignorance

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I am the 45th president.

Can I get one of those coasters from Air Force One? I collect coasters. I have some from the Senate and one from AF1 would be AMAZING for my collection.

If you still use that gold sharpie, you could even draw MAGA on the back, that would be even more amazing.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

under Reagan? LOL they didn`t even have cell phones back then, the first commercially available mobile phones in the U.S. were released in 1983 and they cost $4,000,took 10 hours to charge and could only be used for 30 minutes before recharging.I can assure you that Reagan wasn`t giving away $4,000 phones to everyone who applied for welfare or food stamps.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Yes, the act that was signed into law that now provides free and low-cost cell phones was signed into law under Regan.

Here's the FCC Chairwoman:

"Here’s the truth. The Lifeline program long predates the current administration," Clyburn said in the speech at the New America Foundation. "It was actually created during the Reagan administration, so let's give credit where credit is due. The Lifeline program is a legacy President Reagan could be proud of." Congress first enacted the Lifeline program in 1985, and the FCC expanded the program to cover cellphone service in 2005 during the George W. Bush administration.

The Hill

So, today you learned that the Lifeline Program that provides free and low cost cell phones to Americans was put into law back in 1985 -- and then modified to include cell phones by a Republican president, George W. Bush.

But the words of the FCC chairwoman are probably "fake news" right? :-P

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Surely it isn't so? I thought the Democrats looked after the working class.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

today I learned that the FCC started the free cell phones giveaway in 2005 and it had nothing to do with Reagan.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

they think they do,let`s just hope that they continue to believe that Obama was a great president and stay the course so they will lose even more political seats.
never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Actually I like your reply. It begins to get to the core of our present problems rather that whine about the short term tool Obama. And yes, did click and respond, just to see if there was any substance other than the regular obamadunit.

And yes, I Include Wilson and FDR and ugg, Johnson in my list. And yes, real capitalism as you call it has been bypassed by this crony stuff or call it what one will. Free enterprise has been stymied for over a century by myopic progressivism yet wasn't progressivism given birth by attempts to control the excesses of monopolists cornering the majority of the economy in the later half of the 19th?

And yes, we can see that other attempts to bring about that utopia have failed miserably at the hands of despots over and over. We should have learned by now that those despots will arise 'in' or 'out' of the capitalist system.

And as much as I understand how the Hegelian Utopia that is aimed at by our progressive brethren is fantasy, we should not forget that most of the images, most of the dreams of what that utopia would be like were presented to us by for profit media. We are all caught up in a wishful dreaming nightmare, left and right alike and pointing the finger at Obama does nothing but exacerbate the ignorance

I've read this site for 8 years and have only plugged into it very recently. The majority of people on here fight about the little things. I find myself doing that sometimes as well.

Your reply is superb. You do not only frame the problem (and my post), but you expand on it and make it better than I could have possibly done.

I applaud you and if I could give you 1,000 stars and a good bottle of wine I would.

[ hat tip ]
edit on 22Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:17:14 -0600America/Chicago17th2017-01-15T22:17:14-06:00pmSundayAmerica/Chicago by GreyScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think people in and from other developed countries have been faring better than Americans overall. Cruise ships and resorts are packed with people who were not born in America. During my travels in the 80's and 90's, White Americans seemed to rule the vacation destinations.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Yep, me to. It's easy to slip into snarkiness around here, as demonstrated by my earlier post in this thread. I think it is the blatant partisanship of so many here that gets my goat. The near complete dismissiveness of what is considered the opposite (hence wrong) position in the name of truth. Thanks for the comp.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Love your new countdown avatar! At what TIME does Donald Trump officially become the U.S. President on Friday 1.20.2017?

BTW.. thanks for that state-of-America chart for 2008 vs 2016. You'll NEVER EVER see that on CNN/NBC/CBS/ABC... and maybe not even FOX.

edit on 1/16/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

Whoo boy. It looks bad if you just throw numbers at a screen doesnt it?

National debt has increase but the national deficit has decreased.

Yes more debt by the government means more share.

For the next couple of points you can point to the slow recovery after the rescission started during the Bush years.

So yes less people would be getting less houses (not to mention high prices)

Health insurance companies have to actually provide plans that offer things now so costs when up.

More people getting benefits is a bad thing?

More people getting food stamps during the recovery from the rescission is a bad thing? see my next answer for more.

More people living in poverty while wages are stagnate after a down turn. Remind me who is saying we need to raise the min wage to help solve this problem? In case you forget its President Obama and the democrats.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

edit on 16-1-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: Konduit

Whoo boy. It looks bad if you just throw numbers at a screen doesnt it?

Yes, but those numbers don't measure the REAL PAIN. That was put on full display November 8th, when state after state after state turned RED..rejecting what Obama says are his "improvements". Americans are not as dumb as his administration thinks we are!

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I'm not a Trump fan, but I am not panicking either- because as far as I know, in the US, the President is not all powerful.

He cannot do whatever he wants, and so.... he is not responsible for everything that happens during his time in office.

This goes for Obama, and Bush, and whoever else y'all want to blame all the countries' ills on.

You know, the American people themselves WANT to see insanely disgustingly rich people in the world. They want that to exist, and it come at a price. Just as the people of France once wanted to have kings and queens who hogged all the wealth and lived completely crazy lives.... until they didn't anymore.

People are afraid of the huge responsibility that comes with such power, but they want to live it through others. This is why this exists. They want to watch and day dream, and tell themselves- maybe some day I could end up like that! So I want to make sure that remains an option!

Obama had originally been thinking along the lines of a healthcare coverage that is similar to some european countries, in which it works- no private companies looking for profit. But leaving the option open, for someone to get insanely rich off the others, was imposed upon his ideas. By you guys. He was not a all powerful pharaoh or something- get off that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join