It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hill Republicans try to ease purchase of gun 'silencers', as NRA-backed Trump arrives

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Hill Republicans try to ease purchase of gun 'silencers', as NRA-backed Trump arrives

If this has already been covered, I apologize. I tried searching the forums and didn't see anything, but I'm still new here so I'm not sure if I was using the search function right.

My take on this is it's about time. I know the anti-gun crowd will freak out but it's really not that big a deal. First of all calling them "silencers", while they did it in quotes, is stupid by the media because the proper term is a suppressor. They don't make guns silent. They do reduce noise, and how much depends on many factors like caliber, barrel, ammunition, etc. The main fear is that they will be used in crimes. I submit that's not likely. There's a reason rifles and shotguns are rarely used in crimes. For criminals, the number one concern is usually cost and concealability. A suppressor would likewise not be a common choice for criminals because they make the gun larger and reduce concealability, and they're wasted money. They will still be regulated like a rifle if this bill is passed, meaning you'll still have to go into a gun store and pass a background check to purchase one. Only a small percentage of criminals actually go into gun stores to buy guns because they simply can't pass a background check. They get their guns through other means, such as black market, theft, etc.

Also, suppressors are not currently illegal. If they were popular for criminals, they would find ways to get them, but they don't. They're very rarely used in crime. If criminals wanted one, it would be fairly easy to have a black market going on for them, but there's not. I don't see demand going up just because some of the red tape was removed for the law-abiding to get them. This would be good news for me because I want to set up a range in my back yard. Pennsylvania law allows you to do this on your own property, provided you follow certain guidelines in the law regarding backstops and distances from structures/roads. However, the other side of the coin is people could always call the police on me for excessive noise. Being able to add suppressors to my guns would be a huge benefits so I don't have to pay the ridiculous range fees here. (I miss Alaska, ranges there were cheap)

What do you all think?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I've seen a very effective supressor made with an oil filter.
A water bottle stuffed with poly fill works for a single shot.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The BTAF and many other agencies need major over hauls. A $200 tax stamp for a silencer has always struck me as just another rip-off. Beside the noise pollution of firing a gun (out door ranges have been shut down because of a new housing addition that was built several years after the gun range was in operation) a silencer saves on the ears and does not spook the quarry a mile away.. I really do hope he assigns a review board for just about all the agencies that we call our government and is able to trim the waste and corruption from the halls of government.... Yep I know good luck with that !

Just need to wait and see if some of his promises are actually carried out and not hollow like the many who have gone before him.
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Ask England about this. From what I understand they want people to have these, so they don't make so much damn noise. I'd love to be able to plink with my .22lr pistol and not make enough noise to wake up the guy who lives at the back of the land and works 3rd shift. As it stands, I rarely shoot unless I know he's up. Suppressors should be cheap and easy to get.

If anyone has a reason why they should not be, I'd like to hear the counter point.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Pffft. Real men use loudeners.

edit on 15-1-2017 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

suppressors should be cheap and easily accessible, all across the US.

of course the idiot anti gun will 'find' issues with this. i say the more guns/suppressors available, the better/safer the society.
i cant wait to see the new admin admin's stance on 'gun laws'.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The only thing congress knows about suppressors is what Hollywood portrays them as.

In the movies a can on the end of a Remington 700 chambered in 7.62 sounds like a fly fart.

Even a suppressed .22 is loud enough to echo considerably. All suppressors do is bring the noise level to a tolerable and safe level, but this is also ammunition type dependent.

There is no logical reason for suppressors to be on the NFA list of controlled devices.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Here's a link from the Chicago Tribune speaking on the proposed legislation and how it would actually be handled.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

suppressors should be cheap and easily accessible, all across the US

Why stop there? Let's give everyone flame throwers and grenades too so we can all kill each other more easily.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Seems to be the only "encourage jobs" legislation they can pass.

"Why stop there? Let's give everyone flame throwers and grenades too so we can all kill each other more easily. "

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Suppressors/silencers are indeed legal now, at least they are in Texas if your properly licensed and permitted.

I used to know a good gunsmith who offered to make me a rifle with the suppressor/silencer built into the barrel of the gun, non-removable. But he wouldn't think of doing it for anyone not properly permitted, the penalties for doing so would have put him out of business.

Another part of suppressor/silencer licensing in Texas requires the possessor to maintain strict chain-of-custody documentation if the suppressor/silencer ever changes ownership.

IMO, this is probably the biggest reason that we don't see more criminals utilizing professionally constructed suppressors/silencers. Because the penalties for the person who allowed them into the hands of the unlicensed are so damn high, as they should be.

You can also own full scale cannons and 50 caliber machine guns here in Texas, but again you have to have the proper license & permits and it's NOT the same kind of permit you get with a background check at a gun shop. The criteria for these special permits are much more stringent, the background checks are much more thorough and the cost is much steeper. Again, as it should be.

I say leave the restrictions on suppressors/silencers alone, they don't need relaxing.

And if you're that intent on shooting your guns in your backyard, why don't you just build an indoor range or meet the current licensing criteria?

I'll just bet your neighbors feel the same way I do. Otherwise, you wouldn't have a need for the suppressor/silencer, am I right?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Why stop there? Let's give everyone flame throwers and grenades too so we can all kill each other more easily.

Flame throwers are already legal genius.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
youtu.be...

They are completely useless in most all situations for your typical two bit criminal. All legislation requiring you to jump through hoops to secure one should be gone immediately. They are only scary to dumb rich people. Fun as hell in regards to most firearms, which is what gun culture has become mostly about.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

A GOP POTUS and Congress and thats it???

In no particular order:

1). Dismantle and eliminate the BATFE.
2). Dismantle and eliminate NICS.
3). Repeal BOTH NFA's.
4). Repeal Bush Sr's Import Ban.
5). Instruct the Justice Department to go after states like NY, NJ and CA which have declared war on the 2A.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Suppressors do not make anything more deadly.

I'll bet you're one of the people who think suppressors make guns silent too.

Even if they did, if law enforcement is relying on the sound of a gunshot for investigation or prevention purposes then they've already lost that fight.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

If they don't do a single one of those things, I hope gun owners take note that the GOP are not their friends.

I support the Hearing Protection Act.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I support the second but I don't see the need for these items.

What is the purpose for ownership other than just because?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

This has been discussed many times.

If you don't know the answer by now then you are being purposefully obtuse.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Why would this matter to us the public?

Because if someone wants a silencer, they'll either make one or buy one illegally.

Why are these kinda things even an issue? If someone wants to break the law, they certainly don't give a crap about a silencer law, I mean they didn't care about murder and illegal firearms possession.

It's only an issue if you want to blow smoke up your constituents arses, to make them think you're actually doing something, when you aren't in the slightest.

It's like you're asking congressfolks to clean their room and they keep coming back saying it's clean, but when you go and check, they just pushed some stuff around and picked up a few things, but the overall room is still dirty and they just showed you how much they don't want to do their job and how good they are at not lying but not getting anything done either.

That's our political system right now and until we the people hold them accountable, it will never change.

So this month is silencers, next will be the color black can't be used, then maybe a sticker that needs to be on all legal guns.

You elect the dummies, so either be a dummy or protect your money and call out the scumies!

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

And if you're that intent on shooting your guns in your backyard, why don't you just build an indoor range or meet the current licensing criteria?

I'll just bet your neighbors feel the same way I do. Otherwise, you wouldn't have a need for the suppressor/silencer, am I right?

I could meet the requirements now, I just think the amount of red tape that's in place right now for them is absurd, for reasons stated above. Build an indoor range? Sure, are you buying?

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
Why would this matter to us the public?

Because if someone wants a silencer, they'll either make one or buy one illegally.

Why are these kinda things even an issue? If someone wants to break the law, they certainly don't give a crap about a silencer law, I mean they didn't care about murder and illegal firearms possession.

It's only an issue if you want to blow smoke up your constituents arses, to make them think you're actually doing something, when you aren't in the slightest.

It's like you're asking congressfolks to clean their room and they keep coming back saying it's clean, but when you go and check, they just pushed some stuff around and picked up a few things, but the overall room is still dirty and they just showed you how much they don't want to do their job and how good they are at not lying but not getting anything done either.

That's our political system right now and until we the people hold them accountable, it will never change.

So this month is silencers, next will be the color black can't be used, then maybe a sticker that needs to be on all legal guns.

You elect the dummies, so either be a dummy or protect your money and call out the scumies!

I think this post would apply more to the people who put the restrictions on suppressors in the first place than the people trying to lighten them up.
edit on 15 1 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join