It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama just unchained NSA from basic limits on passing raw intercepts to others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   

WITH ONLY DAYS until Donald Trump takes office, the Obama administration on Thursday announced new rules that will let the NSA share vast amounts of private data gathered without warrant, court orders or congressional authorization with 16 other agencies, including the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and the Department of Homeland Security.

Oh it gets better .

The new rules allow employees doing intelligence work for those agencies to sift through raw data collected under a broad, Reagan-era executive order that gives the NSA virtually unlimited authority to intercept communications abroad. Previously, NSA analysts would filter out information they deemed irrelevant and mask the names of innocent Americans before passing it along.

So apparently this was order to better help prevent things like 9/11 to broaden all data between agency's .

I am skeptical , I am just wondering why Obama did this now .

LINK

edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Whatever Obama is doing in his final days can be undone by Trump the second he takes office.

Obama's actions are just Washington theater at this point.

edit on 1/15/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
He's handing Trump and even more powerful intelligence apparatus, but he's also giving the intelligence community the ability to work together in order to protect themselves from Trump.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

How would sharing the private data of American citizens help protect the intelligence agencies from a Trump presidency?

I'm confused.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   

The procedures do not alter the rules that apply to the NSA’s collection, retention, or dissemination of information, other than to permit the NSA to disseminate raw SIGINT information that it has already lawfully collected under E.O. 12333 to other authorized IC recipients.

icontherecord.tumblr.com...

Civil Liberties and Privacy Protections in the Procedures

Oh hell, what's the point? You don't want to read the actual document. You just want to believe what someone tells you it says.

edit on 1/15/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The procedures do not alter the rules that apply to the NSA’s collection, retention, or dissemination of information, other than to permit the NSA to disseminate raw SIGINT information that it has already lawfully collected under E.O. 12333 to other authorized IC recipients.

icontherecord.tumblr.com...

Civil Liberties and Privacy Protections in the Procedures

Oh hell, what's the point? You don't want to read the actual document. You just want to believe what someone tells you it says.

Am i supposed to believe what you and your link tell me ?

I have lost all trust in the intelligence agency's .

Also please Note my dear Colleague my position on this is skeptical however if for some reason this move is a positive one for the security of our nation , then i am willing to entertain the move as a positive effort .

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

WITH ONLY DAYS until Donald Trump takes office, the Obama administration on Thursday announced new rules that will let the NSA share vast amounts of private data gathered without warrant, court orders or congressional authorization with 16 other agencies, including the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and the Department of Homeland Security.

Oh it gets better .

The new rules allow employees doing intelligence work for those agencies to sift through raw data collected under a broad, Reagan-era executive order that gives the NSA virtually unlimited authority to intercept communications abroad. Previously, NSA analysts would filter out information they deemed irrelevant and mask the names of innocent Americans before passing it along.

So apparently this was order to better help prevent things like 9/11 to broaden all data between agency's .

I am skeptical , I am just wondering why Obama did this now .

LINK

People seem to think americans will not get caught up in this mess. However when you join a military or government agency that works with the military the protection from foriegn or domestic enemies line applys and when they say protection they dont mean you average american they mean protecting the government from you or foriegn countries if you or foriegn countries disagree with the united states. Intel gathering is something you do on an enemy to figure out weakness. The nsa doesnt use your data to prove your a good person or a model american it uses it to attack you with.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: Kettu

How would sharing the private data of American citizens help protect the intelligence agencies from a Trump presidency?

I'm confused.

It allows the agencies to trade/share information easier between them.

Information, perhaps about people Trump associates with. Perhaps Trump himself.

As I said before, all the NSA has to do is XKeyscore Trump and his associates and he'd be toast. They might go further with TAO, and anything digital Trump or his associates touched would be theirs.

The thing is, the NSA might not be able to give the FBI or CIA that information.

Perhaps, and just maybe now they can...

As Phage said, this doesn't change the rules on collection or retention of data -- rather just how it gets disseminated. Specifically the raw info collected via EO 1233 by the proper intelligence communities.

It just is a red-tape removal thing, red tape that doesn't need to exist anyway. Because right now?

CIA: "Hey NSA, we've been ordered to gather information on Manafort from these dates to these dates..."

NSA: "Hi CIA..well, yeah ... about that, it's a bit complicated. See, first we need this and then that..."

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Fear/concern that Trump might put a stop to warrant-less spying.

Give them even more unconstitutional power so even if some of their power is curtailed, it wont have much of an effect.

Establishment minion Obama doesnt need to worry, Trump also supports warrant-less spying.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Can we please just shut down this terrible use of tax payer money?

I'm tired of paying to be spied on.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

Whatever Obama is doing in his final days can be undone by Trump the second he takes office.

Obama's actions are just Washington theater at this point.

On the conspiracy side of things Obama has stated he wont be the typical past president and remain silent. The tweet by Ms. Powers (US UN Ambassador) alluded to not going quietly either.

It makes one wonder if Obama is putting these rules in place to make it easier for him to continue to undermine Trump long after Obama leaves office.
edit on 15-1-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Don't lose the forest in the trees.
It frees them up to share all information more easily.
That's a good thing.
What do you think they're going to do with your info? Open a credit card, buy a house???

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Timing is everything !!

new topics

top topics

join