It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk all about racism.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
What is the true definition of racism? Is racism bad? Is racism true? Why are people racist? How can we combat racism? Should we combat racism? Etc. etc.

This thread is all about racism. The purpose of this thread is to openly discuss the topic. Please remain kind and courteous while doing so.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Racism within a nation is bad. On the other hand, no nation has ever won a war without racism.

It is so overused today, it has lost its bite. It's almost a running joke now.

The question is does this belief make me a racist?
edit on 13-1-2017 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
Racism within a nation is bad. On the other hand, no nation has ever won a war without racism.

It is so overused today, it has lost its bite. It's almost a running joke now.

What is your definition of "racism?"

link   
a reply to: Aristotelian1

Racism, I guess is a matter of personal choice. Technically, it is your freedom to be racist, just not the government's freedom to discriminate. I think everyone is tempted to think racist thoughts about people they don't personally know from time to time, but in reality, its just dumb. We're all humans, why make an issue out of skin color?

link   
Sweet Lord, why!?

When I was a teen my dad used to say that talking to me was like

beating his head against a brick wall.

I now understand. It only stops hurting when you stop beating it.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Racism, I guess is a matter of personal choice. Technically, it is your freedom to be racist, just not the government's freedom to discriminate. I think everyone is tempted to think racist thoughts about people they don't personally know from time to time, but in reality, its just dumb. We're all humans, why make an issue out of skin color?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Earth Humans are smelly.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Said by the great mind of Morgan Freeman... he explains the subject best.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I would say racism is the personal discrimination of people who have different genetic features (skin color, eye color, hair color, nose size/shape, hair texture, etc. This discrimination can range anywhere from mild disdain to hatred.

Of course, there are cultural factors involved too. People tend to certain attribute perceived taboo cultural practices with certain races. That is how stereotype transpire.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Morgan Freeman is awesome. I wish there were more influential men like him in the public eye. A true American role model.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Just general disdain for a race or nationality.

I know there are textbook definitions and whatnot, but really narrowing it down is a waste of time that has no positive outcome.

I do not believe that anybody has a monopoly on racism. Anybody can experience it.
Anybody can dish it out.

It's an overblown topic, and no amount of discussion is going to solve anything because it's been stirred into a soup of classism, nationalism, religious biases, cultural differences, and language barriers.

Pinning down a textbook definitions excludes somebody and in today's bizzarro world, even exclusion is some form of racism.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
what i think of racism:

if you woke up tomorrow, and racism didnt exist, and no one knew what it was except you. would you think that world was normal? if everyone was perfectly nice to each other, would you not think its abnormal, or something was up.
wasps hate crickets, the world is big enough for every crickets and wasps that ever existed in history, but they still try to find and fight each other. if the wasps vs crickets is just nature, then i think racism in humans falls in the same bracket.

it would be by definition, not natural if there was no racism, or antagonistic sentiments toward each other. we are just a brilliant ape. still animals.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I would like to help shift peoples views on what defines racism. Rich/Poor is the new Black/White. To analyze the ethnicities involved is an attempt to determine how history has environmentally divided people into sectors of varying degrees... it does not offer much to move forward I conclude.

Not even sure where I seen this video, it may have been on this site... but, it is impossible for me to watch this video without crying. It represents how money splits not only ones physical presence in society, but ones emotional presence in daily life as well. Best wishes to Mr. Davis!!!

I am racist towards the color green I must admit though...

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

The broadest definition of racism is belief in the theory that the human population can be divided into groups or categories known as races. The theory falls flat because the human species can only be divided into individuals.
edit on 13-1-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
what i think of racism:

if you woke up tomorrow, and racism didnt exist, and no one knew what it was except you. would you think that world was normal? if everyone was perfectly nice to each other, would you not think its abnormal, or something was up.
wasps hate crickets, the world is big enough for every crickets and wasps that ever existed in history, but they still try to find and fight each other. if the wasps vs crickets is just nature, then i think racism in humans falls in the same bracket.

it would be by definition, not natural if there was no racism, or antagonistic sentiments toward each other. we are just a brilliant ape. still animals.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I would say racism is the personal discrimination of people who have different genetic features (skin color, eye color, hair color, nose size/shape, hair texture, etc. This discrimination can range anywhere from mild disdain to hatred.

Of course, there are cultural factors involved too. People tend to certain attribute perceived taboo cultural practices with certain races. That is how stereotype transpire.

Is all discrimination based on race, bad?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

What is your definition of racism? Is it good? Bad? Natural? Unnatural? I'm interested in your opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I know, right!!!a reply to: Lysergic

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

To solve racism, one must stop talking about racism.

Racism has been talked to death.

Want to end racism?

End affirmative action.
End putting "race" on applications, ID's, medical records, everything.

Treat people based on their actions and behaviors and not on how much melanin they have in their skin.

There.

I've "chatted" about racism.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

The broadest definition of racism is belief in the theory that the human population can be divided into groups or categories known as races. The theory falls flat because the human species can only be divided into individuals.

But I don't agree with that in the slightest, good sir. Humans can be categorized in many ways. Not just as individuals.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join