It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you pass the 8th grade test in 1895?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
mwhodges.home.att.net...

I guarantee most college grads cant answer most of these questions. It's a fine example of the dumbing down of our school system. What is it that's changed so much? Is it priority's...is it the liberals??

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
that's crazy. what have they done to us....

good thing i found a way of alternative learning.
does anyone notice this before!!!! damnit. i'm tired of being controlled.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The hardest question on my 8th grade test was who was the first president of the United States.

It was a real tough one.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   
\/\/h4t j00 t4lk1ng b0u7 H8tr?
|)um81ng d0\/\/n 4m3r1k4?
733t 0wns j00! h4x0r3d!!!!!1111

in short... i agree...

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:32 PM
link   
No way I could pass that.But then how many of those questions would help you later in life?Funny thing about school,You learn a lot of things,but most of it is useless once you are out of school.

5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.

I mean is this an important question?Unless you live there,I doubt anybody cares.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
i bet if more kids learned the history of kansas, then the bull# i learned on the street, there'd be more appreciation from where we come from.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Nyeff...that'st he point, it does matter. People back in those days were extremely intelligent. they put a very high emphasis on education. What kind of emphasis is put on education these days. My senior year of school I had one psych class, and one literature class...the rest was auto shop, machine shop, helping the handicapped kids, and that was it...I mean come on. And there were still kids in my class who couldnt cut it.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This was an eighth grade test, administered in Kansas...
If it was in another state, it would have been THAT state's history.

In some defense though, how many of those 1895 kids would know how to program a VCR, work an ATM or a cell phone, work a computer, etc.???

Things such as those on the test (bushels of wheat, buying boards, etc.) were important to the times...not so now.

However, (especially in the area of grammar), it does illustrate how far we have lapsed in our education. I made a decision long ago, that when I finally have a child, he/she will definitely have supplemental home schooling, in addition to attending regular classes.

Reading those questions (mostly grammar, the others weren't that bad), it made me realize how long it's been since I myself even had to think about the fundamentals of grammar. Kudos, and an excellent post Grommer!

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Is there somone who can show me the 8th grade test for 2003 ?

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 12:55 PM
link   
thanks.

When we have kids I'm definitely home schooling them, or if I can afford it, a decent private school.

www.metrowestdailynews.com...

take this case for example. these parents have a right to see how their kids are being educated. even the home schoolers are threatened.

sorry UP. I tried finding one but couldnt. In my school, if you had good attendance (missed less than 3 days) you didnt have to take finals. I never once had to take finals, so I couldnt tell you.

[Edited on 24-6-2003 by Grommer]

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
We have the FCAT tests at different grade levels, one of which is at 8th...

www.firn.edu...

Didn't read too much on it, but might be a good starting point....

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It doesn't concern me too much, afterall just how well equipped would your kid be if they had to learn all that for OUR society.

Kids are learning information relevent to the society they live in, this changes over time.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I agree that kids will always learn what's going on in their society but I also think it's important for them to learn their past as well.

there's a quote I heard, but I dont know the source that says

'those that dont know their history are doomed to repeat' something along those lines.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   
thier kids were too busy getting thier hands stuck in machines, working for child labor. i know, my grandfather was one of em...

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I remember taking the FCAT in 10th grade. It's mandatory for high school students to pass the test if they want to graduate.

It's the easiest test alive, it's almost a joke. I got a 5 on Reading/Verbal and a 4 on the Math portion, 5 being the highest.

You need a 3 to pass.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
That's why I referenced it as a comparison....
Then again Ill, you're not exactly "average" in intellect either.....

[Edited on 24-6-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Nyeff...that'st he point, it does matter. People back in those days were extremely intelligent. they put a very high emphasis on education. What kind of emphasis is put on education these days. My senior year of school I had one psych class, and one literature class...the rest was auto shop, machine shop, helping the handicapped kids, and that was it...I mean come on. And there were still kids in my class who couldnt cut it.

I doubt they were more intelligent than we are.Most kids never finished school back then.In 1895 you were lucky if you knew how to write.
And don't knock auto shop or other classes like that.Those are jobs that will make you money and put food on your table.And those are the kind of claases that make sense to me.They teach you trade.As far as math or english goes,once you get out of school and start working,you will forget most of it.All that you will rember is what you use in your job and day to day life.
Don't get me wrong though,I do not like the way they have watered down school.They only give you bits and pieces of info.Then tell you that is the way it is.You will never hear the real story of American Indians from school.Or most other subjects.You have to do that on your own.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
What part of Florida are you from Gazrok? If you don't mind me asking...

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I plan supplemental education...that in the books, is rather biased.... I want my child to make up their own mind....

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Apparently this is likely not an actual test from 1895.

www.snopes.com...

Long read, but well-researched.

-B.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join