It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have found a drug that regenerates teeth, and it could reduce the need for fillings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Fingers crossed.
JOSH HRALA
10 JAN 2017

Researchers have identified a drug that can regenerate teeth from the inside out, possibly reducing the need for artificial fillings.

The drug was previously used in Alzheimer’s clinical trials, and it now appears to improve the tooth’s natural ability to heal itself. It works by activating stem cells inside the tooth's pulp centre, prompting the damaged area to regenerate the hard dentin material that makes up the majority of a tooth.

www.sciencealert.com...

If clinical trials go as expected, it seems that the Alzheimer's drug Tideglusib, which is not an expensive drug, could stimulate stem cells inside our teeth and cause them to regenerate themselves without any need for inert fillings.

I wonder how soon this would be implemented after the human trials. If the results are positive of course.

edit on 11-1-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
INTERESTING!!!
en.wikipedia.org...
It hasn't even completely passed Phase II for the Alzheimer's it was rolled out for. Which means waiting eons...

Wait?
www.alibaba.com...
edit on 11-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

GTFO Good ol Alibaba - Wait! being from China would we have to make sure its not adulterated with Melamine?

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Let them tweak it a bit more for a safer and perment treatment.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Basically all the vitamins and drugs and such all comes from China.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
If it did work on us that'd be great, I'd be worried about growing tusks though lol. I definitely think they should keep on the research. I could see the inexpensive tirn to very expensive if it does work well for us. Very cool none the less

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Being a Brit who was raised in the states, I bet my people are beside themselves!

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It does sound like an interesting drug if it enables stem cells. The only way to keep a brain functional is to regenerate. Need to take care with this technology, trying to grow another organ where one already exists has a record of disaster.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Trump did say that drugs are made outside the country. With the prices of the drugs, there is alot more profit to be made if China makes them for us, those are jobs Americans won't do.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

it seems that the Alzheimer's drug Tideglusib, which is not an expensive drug, yet

Had to FTFY

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I'll bet the company that makes amalgam for fillings is not particularly pleased.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
But wouldn't it grow back unwanted teeth like wisdom teeth that most people need to have removed.

I'm not going through that again.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Forget teeth...where is the Hair regrow.!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
But wouldn't it grow back unwanted teeth like wisdom teeth that most people need to have removed.

The drug seems to regenerate the stem cells and would regrow hard dentin. But they are not saying it would grow a new nerve(the root of the tooth). At least they are not saying it. You would need a new nerve to grow an entire tooth.

Here is the part describing what they discovered.

The drug was applied to the cavity using a biodegradable collagen sponge soaked in Tideglusib molecules, and then everything was sealed up inside.

After several weeks, the team saw that the collagen sponge had degraded, and the teeth had regenerated enough dentin to fill the gap.

www.sciencealert.com...

edit on 12-1-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I wouldn't say people wont do the jobs.

It's many factors really. Regulations. State investments in the bazillion chemical production facilities they have there now (much of which is shiny new stainless steel labs). Regulations. The people trained to man them. Regulations. Cheap labor force. Regulations. Chinese brazen-ness. Regulations. Wide open supply chains of everything. Regulations.

Chems are the one area of sticking it to China I have concerns with. As far as all the throw away junk products they ship here, no so much worried about a lot of that stuff.

For America to be able to compete the first thing is whatever MFG's (for anything) we do still have here all need to get in the likes of Alibaba. Every little part mind you. On alibaba you wouldn't go order se hard disks, but you would order the little parts the help build them. Here in the US, we've got this ridiculous Distributor Model, where its as if there's laws preventing producers from selling every little part they make to 'whoever' (in any quantity). Instead they 'have to' get hooked up with the likes of se Grainger, and then you have to go through them, kind of thing. So with Made in China you can go to Alibaba and see everything they make; but here you have to go through a digging up a gauntlet of specialty catalogs and deal with layers of middlemen. For an inventor this is a disaster, whereas you can go on Aliexpress and browse & order all manner of parts & products alike.

But that's all a discussion for another thread...
edit on 12-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It would be great not to have those annoying fillings, as many are still using mercury amalgam fillings. The trouble is, most people's dental insurance (if they are lucky enough to have it) doesn't cover much, so unless you go a lot and get those cavities early enough, the more painful procedures like root canals, etc., will still have to happen.

I also wonder what are the side effects, or if the tooth will grow in ways we wouldn't want it to. I'll hang back and wait to see before I consider it.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Even if it happens to work on humans, nothing of this kind of a drug will be available to us.
It would lower the prestige of being a dentist and eventually a lot of doctors would be forced to change their jobs. This won't happen.

Remember: in many cases the task of a doctor is not to cure you completely, but only alleviate symptoms, provide a temporary relief, etc., thus making you his regular client. If the disease is not deadly, they will continue fixing the symptoms of many ailments. They are absolutely not interested in seeing you truly healthy.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

My heart did skip a beat and I almost did a small sitting down dance

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

I know, right?!

ETA; I was actually at the dentist when I shot this.
edit on 1 12 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Fingers crossed.
JOSH HRALA
10 JAN 2017

Researchers have identified a drug that can regenerate teeth from the inside out, possibly reducing the need for artificial fillings.

The drug was previously used in Alzheimer’s clinical trials, and it now appears to improve the tooth’s natural ability to heal itself. It works by activating stem cells inside the tooth's pulp centre, prompting the damaged area to regenerate the hard dentin material that makes up the majority of a tooth.

www.sciencealert.com...

If clinical trials go as expected, it seems that the Alzheimer's drug Tideglusib, which is not an expensive drug, could stimulate stem cells inside our teeth and cause them to regenerate themselves without any need for inert fillings.

I wonder how soon this would be implemented after the human trials. If the results are positive of course.

That would be a fantastic 2 for 1 drug.

Too late for me tho.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join